Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 05:24 AM

199 posts, read 528,480 times

Advertisements

I have a Samsung double door frig with bottom freezer and ice maker on top. Works great and I have had a few with ice cube makers and never had a problem. I like my filtered cold water and lots of ice. I had a Ge frig with ice cube maker for 20 years and never broke. Sold the house and left the frig, might still be running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 PM

307 posts, read 560,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I have the fridge with the ice maker and so far no problems. Fingers crossed. I would like to get rid of the horrid glass top stove though. The entire top gets hot and if anything falls on it, it burns, even catches fire. The heat doesn't stay at an even temperature, it surges red hot and then evens out again. Probably I just love gas stoves, the kind that you turn it on and it's ON, and off and it's OFF. No guessing. If you want to boil water, you boil water, no waiting around for the coils to heat up. No special cookware required (the glass top stove would like me to get rid of my good cookware. Nope.)

I'm with you newengland, I hate glass top or iron top...anything electric. When we bought our house in the Pacific Northwest...it had an electric range so we had it changed to gas. I do most of the cooking at home..and like to be able to adjust the heat (flame) but tricky to do with electric range. Tired of burning food even long after you shut it off (stays fiercely hot for a long time!). Notice the top chefs on tv cook with gas flame? We moved to Florida and rented a house...has glass top electric stove. And learned that practically every home here has electric stove. Don't know why they don't use gas ranges here. They're much more efficient than electric. If we had known that in advance they don't have or use gas ranges in Florida...we wouldn't have come here. I'm sure there must be some homes with gas stove in Florida. We're heading back to WA this Fall. Missed our gas range terribly.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Electric Heat is at the tops in efficiency...

Efficiency may or may not equal lower cost depending on the cost of energy available.

Historically, Washington State has an abundance of low cost electric power and natural gas is not as prevalent...

Propane is more expensive than Natural Gas and that has to be factored.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:12 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
I'm with you newengland, I hate glass top or iron top...anything electric. When we bought our house in the Pacific Northwest...it had an electric range so we had it changed to gas. I do most of the cooking at home..and like to be able to adjust the heat (flame) but tricky to do with electric range. Tired of burning food even long after you shut it off (stays fiercely hot for a long time!). Notice the top chefs on tv cook with gas flame? We moved to Florida and rented a house...has glass top electric stove. And learned that practically every home here has electric stove. Don't know why they don't use gas ranges here. They're much more efficient than electric. If we had known that in advance they don't have or use gas ranges in Florida...we wouldn't have come here. I'm sure there must be some homes with gas stove in Florida. We're heading back to WA this Fall. Missed our gas range terribly.
We don't have gas ranges for the most part because most places don't have gas lines. You can bury a propane tank in your yard. Some people do that - but it's not my cup of tea. Robyn

Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Kitchenaid fridge, french doors with freezer drawer on the bottom. Love the design. Water dispenser is inside the fridge. Yes, I guess you could say it wastes energy but seriously, I'm not a household of 5. It's just me and husband. The 4 cents a month is affordable. Ice dispenser is in the freezer drawer which is very practical.

Stove is dual fuel, gas top with electric oven. Love that too. Dishwasher is extra quiet, love that took. Can't tell it's running. The big complaint, something I'd do differently next time, is to NOT put the microwave over the stove. What a stupid idea! I hate when I'm using the stove and he wants to mike a cup of tea and my brain gets fried while I tend to the eggs or whatever.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:47 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
I have an over stove type Microwave but it is over the counter where I cut onions and vegetables and so vents the onion fumes to the outside. I have a Bluestar gas range that I have had since 2005 and never installed, it will be going into the retirement home finally. I have a french door fridge with freezer on the bottom and I HATE it.
I also have a raised DW, trying to make the whole first floor Wheel Chair accessible since likely we will both be in them.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I have an over stove type Microwave but it is over the counter where I cut onions and vegetables and so vents the onion fumes to the outside. I have a Bluestar gas range that I have had since 2005 and never installed, it will be going into the retirement home finally. I have a french door fridge with freezer on the bottom and I HATE it.
I also have a raised DW, trying to make the whole first floor Wheel Chair accessible since likely we will both be in them.
Why do you have a range you've never installed? Robyn

Old 07-17-2014, 06:30 AM

241 posts, read 272,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We don't have gas ranges for the most part because most places don't have gas lines. You can bury a propane tank in your yard. Some people do that - but it's not my cup of tea. Robyn
Interesting. Where we are building in WI. propane is very common. We have two tanks at the cabin. Never heard of burying them, maybe a regional thing.

We are looking at Thermadore appliances. Seems to be a decent mix of price/quality. We will repeat the front loader washer/dryer on the pedestals for easier access. They are expensive but worth it. Thought about building my own...............

Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,132,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why do you have a range you've never installed? Robyn
when I bought it we were living in a mobile home with propane, but before we got it installed, we moved temporaily [2 years] to CA. We left the range at home. [another house without gas]

after we got back we have been living in the family home on Cape Cod with no gas, so the range has sat waiting.

It is now in my WV house and there is natural gas there, but it has not yet been installed there as a line needs to be run to it. Also for now we are only there a few days a quarter.

Anyway after spending over 3K for this range I will be glad to finally use it.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Interesting. Where we are building in WI. propane is very common. We have two tanks at the cabin. Never heard of burying them, maybe a regional thing...
It's a HOA thing. No one wants to live in a neighborhood with $500k+ houses with exposed propane tanks like you see in a trailer park. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement