Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 04:21 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Amoral perspectives? Easy to take such a lofty, condescending position when one is talking about someone else's money.
Easy to take a self-centered, avaricious position when one is talking about someone else's life, someone else's worth, someone else's dignity.

I'm sorry you felt threatened by moral repudiation of the antisocial perspectives you prefer. Regardless, I'm talking about the morality of the decisions regarding the nation's economy and its impact on people, not any specific person's money. This highlights a critical lesson you need to learn - that life is not always just all about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So when the NY Times slams North Carolina and all of my Liberal friends ask me how can I live there, I see the NC legislative respond with something else to tick the Liberals elsewhere off.
It is sad to read about the puerile and petulant nature of NC politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:27 AM

322 posts, read 384,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Shocking but not really surprising. This is what happens when an American style fundamentalist capitalist culture brainwashes you day and night into believing you are what you consume. I save 75%+ of what I make every year and have zero debt because I'm terrified of being old and broke. The day I become dependent on handouts you can pull the plug.
+1. My goal is to become 100% debt free. I could care less about keeping up with the Jones'. I'll feel much better when we pay off the modest house that we live in.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds like the problem lies not with the property, but the management. Specifically, it's easy to blame greedy landlords.
The problem is with tenants, and many times, the tenant him/herself is not the problem - the unauthorized people who LIVE with the tenant are the problem.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Easy to take a self-centered, avaricious position when one is talking about someone else's life, someone else's worth, someone else's dignity.

I'm sorry you felt threatened by moral repudiation of the antisocial perspectives you prefer. Regardless, I'm talking about the morality of the decisions regarding the nation's economy and its impact on people, not any specific person's money. This highlights a critical lesson you need to learn - that life is not always just all about you.

It is sad to read about the puerile and petulant nature of NC politics.
Thank you so much for your valuable input. I didn't realize life was not all about me. I feel so humbled having been the recipient of your lesson on having a moral compass since I have no clue about this (I am an ignorant Southerner, after all).

I will look up all the big words and maybe then I can understand everything you wrote.

BTW - what state is providing your entitlement check every month? Just wondering. Sound soooo Massachusetts.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I never see my tax refunds because the Dept of Education grabs them - and charges me a 20% fee for the privilege!
Oh. Yeah. It's hell having to pay back the debt we legally incur.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Those are great observations
Yes, it would be a consideration if you have a government pension. I don't think the changes affect any other pensions, do they? How many states do not tax government pensions?

Old 08-13-2014, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Yes, it would be a consideration if you have a government pension. I don't think the changes affect any other pensions, do they? How many states do not tax government pensions?
That can be a moving target as what states do change.
I'll stick with Texas which has no state income tax.
Sure the property taxes are high but they are localized so one can search out a lower cost area.

Now the folks in the high property tax cities are crying for a state income tax because their property taxes are so high now..figures. Well they did vote for each and every one of those increases that added on to their property taxes. And then each year those taxing entities increase.

Austin area has 7 different taxing entities in their property tax bill. I moved and where I am now only has 2.
And I'm now paying 1/3 of what I paid when I lived in the Austin area..$2K vs $6K.
And my old home just got an increase to $8K this year. My new tax bill here is $50 more than last year.

Each state has their tax pitfalls. But I prefer Texas because I can always move to a lower taxed area.
Can't do that when you have a state income tax..they get ya no matter where you move in the state.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That can be a moving target as what states do change.
I'll stick with Texas which has no state income tax.
Sure the property taxes are high but they are localized so one can search out a lower cost area.

Now the folks in the high property tax cities are crying for a state income tax because their property taxes are so high now..figures. Well they did vote for each and every one of those increases that added on to their property taxes. And then each year those taxing entities increase.

Austin area has 7 different taxing entities in their property tax bill. I moved and where I am now only has 2.
And I'm now paying 1/3 of what I paid when I lived in the Austin area..$2K vs $6K.
And my old home just got an increase to $8K this year. My new tax bill here is $50 more than last year.

Each state has their tax pitfalls. But I prefer Texas because I can always move to a lower taxed area.
Can't do that when you have a state income tax..they get ya no matter where you move in the state.
Texas has some sort of "homestead" law, too, doesn't it?

I am always surprised at the complacency of folks who live around me and accept the "hidden" taxes, such as our sewer charges (which are tagged onto our water bill and there is not a thing one can do to affect that charge).

It is not as simple as looking at such things as state income tax, although I agree with you - that is a good place to start. Last time I checked, South Carolina was not taxing several types of pensions, whereas NC was. People moved south of the NC border to avoid those taxes (and take advantage of the lower taxes on gas, as well). I thought - hmmm - SC could change those rules at any point, as well.

I am moving within my state to a city where the property taxes are about the same, but there are no "hidden taxes." Also, because car jackings and accidents with uninsured drivers are such a problem in my present city, car insurance is lower in my "new" town.

Where I live presently, Charlotte, the sales tax is 7.25%, second in our state only to Chapel Hill, at 7.50%.

Last edited by brokensky; 08-13-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 AM

I found this recent article (so I hope it is up to date) on the 12 states in this Union that do not tax pensions or Social Security:

12 States Without Pension or Social Security Taxes - US News

Each slide does have a caveat with it, I noticed, in re: to what that state may have instituted to increase tax revenue on other income/assets or will recoup in sales taxes.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Texas has some sort of "homestead" law, too, doesn't it?

I am always surprised at the complacency of folks who live around me and accept the "hidden" taxes, such as our sewer charges (which are tagged onto our water bill and there is not a thing one can do to affect that charge).

It is not as simple as looking at such things as state income tax, although I agree with you - that is a good place to start. Last time I checked, South Carolina was not taxing several types of pensions, whereas NC was. People moved south of the NC border to avoid those taxes (and take advantage of the lower taxes on gas, as well). I thought - hmmm - SC could change those rules at any point, as well.

I am moving within my state to a city where the property taxes are about the same, but there are no "hidden taxes." Also, because car jackings and accidents with uninsured drivers are such a problem in my present city, car insurance is lower in my "new" town.
Any state that has a state income tax can and probably will use it in the future to generate more revenue.

The bigger picture is that city, county, state and federal revenue is declining while spending is not.
You can't escape it either because eventually it catches up to you.

Yes, Texas has homestead and also a 65 exemption.

$15K for homestead and another $10K for 65 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement