Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
How much do you get back when you file your taxes? For a long long time, yes, I paid taxes BUT when I filed I got nearly every penny back. To me that equates to 'not paying taxes'. These days I make enough that I don't get it all back so I guess I AM 'paying taxes' now.

??? Do you freaking understand? I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR EITC because I have no kids. EITC iis very lame for childless adults. I never get back anything close to what I paid in; I always have a federal income tax liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Do you freaking understand? I DO NOT QUALIFY FOR EITC because I have no kids. EITC iis very lame for childless adults. I never get back anything close to what I paid in; I always have a federal income tax liability.
Maybe you can go down to the border and say "No hablo Anglais!" and get a fresh start.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
There are many ways to educate oneself, but damned few ways to get into law school.
True. But choosing an expensive private college/university for undergrad degree as opposed to a state supported university is one way to ensure a boatload of debt.

Of course, the diploma from Harvard will look good on the wall.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Many folks in these forums were in similiar situations . But they controlled the situation.they found ways out and went on to do quite fine. If they seem less than sympathetic it is because they were there themselves.

I grew up in a nyc housing project at near poverty. But i swore to myself i wouldn't stop trying until that life was no longer an option.

??? Did you work your way through college...or get tons of free money...or do something else?

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
??? I decided very early I wanted to go to law school and make a lot of money as a lawyer.
So when that didn't work out, you quit.

And when the ONE IT job on the planet available to you didn't work out, you quit.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
True. But choosing an expensive private college/university for undergrad degree as opposed to a state supported university is one way to ensure a boatload of debt.

Of course, the diploma from Harvard will look good on the wall.

??? I went to a fairly cheap state college; only one of the colleges I got into was cheaper (not as good academically and not much cheaper). Cost was a primary consideration for me.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So when that didn't work out, you quit.

And when the ONE IT job on the planet available to you didn't work out, you quit.

Yes when the one IT job for which you are qualified doesn't work out, there's little point in applying for IT jobs for which you're not qualified.

Actually I did apply for a lot of IT jobs during the Y2K craze but that was probably just temporary insanity which was common at that time.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Maybe you can go down to the border and say "No hablo Anglais!" and get a fresh start.

Or go up to the border.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Or go up to the border.
No dream act or freebies there. Just working folks.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:07 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No, I actually think we agree. I am saying - he did it the way he did it and now he is responsible for paying it back.

But I also stated in an earlier reply that there are other ways to get an education, rather than paying a premium price at an Ivy League school.

I 100% agree with you that a segment of the population, and usually those are parents who do not have a college education themselves, has been wooed by what became easily accessible student loans -- and in their desire to be able to say "my kid got a college degree!!!!" . . . they encouraged their children to get a degree (any degree!) b/c that was the ticket to "big salaries."

At the same time, kids who would have been better served getting tech degrees that led to available jobs decided that it was a lot more prestigious to get the 4 year degree so they could compete in the workplace. What they and they parents didn't seem to understand (and didn't bother to research) is that by the 80s, anyone in a Fortune 500 company knew full well that it takes an MBA as entree into the best jobs - not just a BS/AB.

On top of that, colleges were making it easy to get financial aid and were lowering their admission standards so they could pump up enrollment and trick out the campus (yes, over-simplified but I know you get my point).

It was a perfect storm, especially in families where parents are not savvy about what is going on with the job market -- and where egos get in the way, as well. Add to that poor job counseling at many high schools -- where the mantra for decades has been -- "get a college degree" rather than "get education that leads to employment and a career."

So I think we do agree on WHY so many kids are now stuck with huge financial aid obligations. Until the message gets out that there are many ways to educate one's self -- and that simply having a diploma in hand does not mean a career on the horizon and doesn't mean you are suddenly rubber stamped as good employee material -- we are going to hear folks bemoaning their decisions. But the facts are -- bad plannning leads to financial problems in every aspect of life and when you take on debt, you are responsible for paying it back.

The real reason for the whine is -- folks want to declare bankruptcy and dismiss their student loan debt just like they were able to dismiss other debt in the past.
The unintended result of this is that skilled trades are coming up on a shortage as the traditional craftsmen (Carpenters, plumbers, electricians, stonemasons and the like) are aging out and there's no one apprenticing to replace them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement