Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 04:32 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

I didn't see reference to a social security system,pensions or medicare in the bible either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
I didn't see reference to stock markets, to corporations, to a democratic-elected republican form of government, nor to poor people living to a ripe old age on par with rich people.

I did see reference in the Bible to slavery; and to women marrying, becoming their husband's property, and going to live in her husband's father's home; and to lots of war.

So I'm not really sure the Bible stories are relevant to what folks encounter today.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I didn't see reference to a social security system,pensions or medicare in the bible either.
Right. Those things are making retirement a possibility for these few fortunate generations. I doubt that my children will have any of those. I'm just saying that our American idea of retirement is not the historical norm, it's an anomalous phenomenon of this time, soon to pass.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I didn't see reference to stock markets, to corporations, to a democratic-elected republican form of government, nor to poor people living to a ripe old age on par with rich people.

I did see reference in the Bible to slavery; and to women marrying, becoming their husband's property, and going to live in her husband's father's home; and to lots of war.

So I'm not really sure the Bible stories are relevant to what folks encounter today.
I apologize if my post was a distraction. It was only meant for perspective.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:44 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,411,086 times
i figured it would be higher
considering so many live paycheck to paycheck and before you know it your up there in age and you have nothing

you can only save money if you make a decent income and you start saving early

if you never make decent income or you do and mismanage your money you will be in trouble

Old 08-15-2014, 04:49 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
1/2 the country does not earn enough to even pay taxes after deductions and exemptions so they will never ever have money to save at any point in their lives so diluting the rest of the folks who are saving and preparing for retirement really waters down their results in all these statistics.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I apologize if my post was a distraction. It was only meant for perspective.
Perspective is important, but ancient historical perspective less so (really not much at all) as compared to current-day contextual perspective. Most people born today aren't adapted by their upbringing to manual farming, or manual herding of sheep, or living without electricity and running water. We are products of our time, not of some random point in past history. Moses would probably have a hard time getting a job, even as a rabbi, in the context of today's electronically-connected ministries. His upbringing simply didn't adapt him to serving any role requiring understanding today's human beings.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
It's amazing how many people on "assistance" have nice cars, big screen TVs, Iphones, Ipads, fancy clothes (that they wear halfway down their ass) smoke, drink a six pack a day, etc. That's my definition of irresponsible spending.
Just how do you know their possessions and spending habits? Or do you just assume some of the people you see with these things are on assistance for whatever reason.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please forgive this aside, but I went completly through the Bible (I'm a Christian) looking for just one mention of a person retiring and found none. Moses was in his eighties and still tending sheep when God called him for his real job in life. King David still went into battle after he was too old to fight and his soldiers told him to please go home before he got killed. The closest to a retirement story was about a man who had accumulated wealth and had food for many years stored away, and said to himself that he would just take his leisure. God spoke to him and said "Thou fool, thy soul will be required of thee this very night. For whom were you working all these years?" That doesn't speak well for the concept of retirement from a Biblical standpoint.

I don't mean to discourage those hoping for retirement, I hope to do so myself very soon. It's just that retirement is a rather modern idea that may exist for only a few fortunate generations.
Reality is we have never agreed on what being retired is. Isn't being 66 receiving SS without a job being retired even if you want to work? Does receiving SS even if still working qualify as partially retired?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Does receiving SS even if still working qualify as partially retired?
I'm 70, still with my employer of the past 22 years and drawing SS. I retired two years ago but my employer hasn't found out yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement