Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times

Advertisements

His answer is you end up going to forums and asking strangers can I make it questions. I guess; at least it give you a perhaps person you can curse at if it doesn't go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 01:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Did you also see them paying the taxes- federal, state, and local taxes that support those public functions? Or how about the Medicare and SS deductions that were taken from their paychecks as they worked all those years to support themselves and their loved ones?

Yeah, THOSE people.
That's exactly my point, perhaps I was inarticulate & clumsy in my phrasing so I apologize for that. We have contributed to the greater good in our communities/nation one way or another financially so that we can lead decent lives now, but recently there seems to be a sizeable group of people that feel that everything needs to be market oriented & privatized in society & the next generation, or newer arrived ethnic groups, shouldn't expect the same treatment in the future. It was ok for us, but not going into the future.

Of course those in the more elite positions of society have persuaded us that large corporations & high net-worth individuals deserve exemptions from these same market forces through tax loopholes, tax-abatements, deductions/exemptions only available to the rich, exclusion from certain laws to certain corporate interests (that can afford to "influence" legislators), which is basically an extension of social welfare to the elite in society while the rest of us are distracted arguing over whether society can afford to extend unemployment benefits to workers or social security COLAs that keep up with inflation.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
because they may not want your lifestyle. i know i wouldn't. surviving on and living on are two different things. i have goals ,dreams and wants and that cost money. lots of money. sure i need a lot less to pay bills and get by but that isn't what i planned for in retirement.

we want to live better than we did raising a family and scrimping and saving. we want to be rewarded now at this stage , not take a step backward and do with less than we had while working.

So what you really mean is that they can't manage on 2x my resources because, like the majority of Americans, they confuse wants with needs.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:59 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
can't ? no i didn't say that, more like won't ,why should they if they want better and want to do more and buy more. . that is why we all earn different incomes and live different lifestyles.

if i doubled my resources in retirement i still couldn't do most of the things i would want to do before i died..

Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
-- No, I expect us to quit policing the rest of the world (The US spends 20+% of its annual budget on military/defense -- far more than any other country in the world -- and only 2% on education, btw), I expect US-based corporations to pay their fair share of taxes, and I expect that off-shore US corporations to pay their taxes. Yeah, THAT WOULD WORK! Unfortunately, it's never going to happen because our government protects really wealthy citizens.
You're going on feelings and not math. Even if military spending went to 0, the math wouldn't work. Feelings and math are rarely compatible.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So what you really mean is that they can't manage on 2x my resources because, like the majority of Americans, they confuse wants with needs.
Sorry, but to be blunt with and for YOU only. We just got back from our fifth recent trip to Aruba. That by our retirement plan and lifestyle is a need. Health issues aside not going would create withdrawal symptoms. I feel for you and others in similar situations and wonder why YOU feel the need to castigate others not in your situation. Feel happy that myself and others have the will and ability to help contribute to organizations to help make the Holliday season more enjoyable for the many in need and not have to choose between giving to others and enjoyment for ourselves.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:15 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Sorry, but to be blunt with and for YOU only. We just got back from our fifth recent trip to Aruba. That by our retirement plan and lifestyle is a need. Health issues aside not going would create withdrawal symptoms. I feel for you and others in similar situations and wonder why YOU feel the need to castigate others not in your situation. Feel happy that myself and others have the will and ability to help contribute to organizations to help make the Holliday season more enjoyable for the many in need and not have to choose between giving to others and enjoyment for ourselves.
In no sense of the word would a trip to Aruba constitute a "need." If this is a "need," your priorities are way out of line and you're completely out of touch with most people.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If you found you didn't have the money for those trips without sacrificing your basic needs, or obligations, I'd bet you'd re-evaluate the need for the trips. Nearly anyone would, I think. But I'm with you, happy that you're able to live the life-style you've earned, and you're still able to meet your basic needs, and even help out your less fortunate fellow man.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
In no sense of the word would a trip to Aruba constitute a "need." If this is a "need," your priorities are way out of line and you're completely out of touch with most people.

I am not so sure that isnt a need. I need a trip to Aruba. I need to put my Toes in the Water and A$$ in the Sand.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Easily 3/4 of the people at the resort we stayed were in their sixties and up. Most from New Jersey up on the map. Many we see every year and they from my conversations have for years built their annual excursions to Aruba in their plans and yes feel it is part of their life needs. Many of the people in my previous world feel the same way and their Facebook pages reflect it. It was and is part of their retirement LIFESTYLE plan. That along with golfing excursions here there and everywhere. The remarkable bull market has cemented the plans of the many who participated in it. So yes we have and will probably continue to experience different realities. Over the years many current seniors used timeshares as building blocks for their retirement lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement