Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
They can't tell, but they can go on past experience. Unfortunately many older people have little understanding of newer technology, they ask endless questions and take up a lot of time and end up buying the simplest (and cheapest) gadget they can get away with. It happens with younger people too, but just more common with the older people. I'm sure that once you open your mouth and the employee realizes that you know what you're talking about they probably breath a big sigh of relief and are happy to work with you.
And while older people may have more money, in my experience it's a lot harder to get them to part with it, especially on things that aren't typically considered 'luxury' items, like phones.
That makes sense -- about the luxury item vs. "needed" item, especially. People 50 and under do not consider a computer, smart phone, good headphones, peripheral drives, etc a luxury. They really aren't. They are communication tools and for most folks, necessary items in re: to work/business as well as lifestyle.

As far as "taking up time," tho . . . yeah, I am sure people can get worn out with all the questions and maybe even the need to be very elementary in their explanations, but that IS what folks are hired to do - answer questions as well as sell products. But I do get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
How about car dealerships? Last week I went into the new car showroom while my old one was being serviced. I've done a lot of online research and will probably get a new car soon. I walked all around, looking at the models that interested me, when I could locate them, opening doors and hatchbacks, checking things out. It was a slow time with not a single other customer in the place. No one came over to help me. I walked around, made eye contact with a few, but still none asked me if they could help me. I finally chose a woman sitting at a desk and asked her a question, which she couldn't answer.

I suppose being older and female makes the whole problem worse.

I did get good service at a Best Buy in the Hispanic part of town. The kid told me I reminded him of his grandmother and was very helpful.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:13 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
How about car dealerships? Last week I went into the new car showroom while my old one was being serviced. I've done a lot of online research and will probably get a new car soon. I walked all around, looking at the models that interested me, when I could locate them, opening doors and hatchbacks, checking things out. It was a slow time with not a single other customer in the place. No one came over to help me. I walked around, made eye contact with a few, but still none asked me if they could help me. I finally chose a woman sitting at a desk and asked her a question, which she couldn't answer.

I suppose being older and female makes the whole problem worse.

I did get good service at a Best Buy in the Hispanic part of town. The kid told me I reminded him of his grandmother and was very helpful.
I take my car to the dealership for all service/repair. (Don't say anything -- I do it, and that's it.) But when you're an older woman, those young guys think you're dumb when it comes to cars. My car was less than a year old, and I kept telling the services guys that my brakes were squealing. They told me it was sand (so easy in NM). Then they told me it was condensation. Then they told me something else. On my fourth visit, I yelled -- and guess what -- there was a problem with my brakes. I got four new brakes, free of charge.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:24 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
No, never had a problem. As soon as I walk in there is a clerk standing there to help me out and everyone in the store is terrific and helpful. I use Best Buy for all electronic stuff; computers, tv/video, music/blue ray

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,818 times
Net time after waiting a reasonable time to be waited on ... just holler out real loud ...

Is this store open for business yet ! ! !

Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
I bought a navy blue suit for 2,000 quid. That solved the problem, or was it the red sneakers?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is what my son said when I told him I find it odd that I can't get help in electronics stores these days. He said - well - if they worked on commission, it would probably be different.

He said it has nothing to do with my age but rather with folks just not feeling an impetus to give good customer service when they get the same salary, regardless. He said a lot of these folks have taken jobs after graduating from college, not finding anything corporate, and they resent having to work there to begin with - so they are very disengaged.

Maybe that has some truth to it.
I agree that is for sure part of the problem. No one graduates college with the dream of working retail.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Since I work retail, and have for many years, there is a fine line between helping a customer and being a pain in the butt. When I go to a store all I want is to be greeted at the door, asked if I will need any assistance, and then left alone until I do need some help. I hate when a sales person hovers over you and tries to sell you everything in the store.

I try to treat a customer the same way I would want to be treated, and have learned how to read if they want me around or if they want to shop in peace. I let them know I am here if they do decide they need help, and a lot of times they will say "Actually, I do have a question." Then I make myself available to them.

Our company wants us to do more than that, they want us to suggest things the customer didn't even come in to buy, take a survey on line when they leave, and give us a good rating when they take that survey. I won't lower myself to begging for their good feedback, and I might suggest some products related to the ones they are buying, if they make their job easier, but I will not be over bearing and pushy. I think that turns people off, I know it would turn me off.

Don

Old 09-06-2014, 04:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
This thread reminds me of the episode of Six Feet Under when Katy Bates' character steals lipstick and says to Francis, "Don't worry, we're invisible at our age."

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Well yeah, if you just stand there you could rot.

You have to GO UP TO SOMEONE In a Blue Shirt and say "Are you in the middle of something? I need help"

This whole "waiting for help thing" is definitely from a different mindset.

If you can't find someone you go to customer service and have someone paged.

OR shop elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement