Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:02 AM

367 posts, read 457,750 times

Advertisements

People, in general, are more disrespectful these days. Has nothing to do with age, I come across some very rude and disrespectful older (60+) as well. In fact, two of the rudest people I have ever come across in life were senior citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 11:25 AM

146 posts, read 162,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
People, in general, are more disrespectful these days. Has nothing to do with age, I come across some very rude and disrespectful older (60+) as well. In fact, two of the rudest people I have ever come across in life were senior citizens.
I think you are correct. We are becoming a coarser society as a whole, and I think that this medium (the internet in general, not CD in particular) has contributed to it. If you look at some of the comment sections on websites (particularly the unmoderated and anonymous comments) the amount of anger, insult and vitriol is astounding. As people get more comfortable with such venting online I think it can starts to creep into public discourse.

People seem to have a need to "vent," to have a release-- an outlet for their anger and frustration--so they curse, they anonymously trash someone on the internet or they get angry with service people or loved ones. My late mother vented her frustrations on my father. They had been married 62 years and she knew he would not leave. My father now vents his anger toward waitpeople in restaurants, clerks in stores, etc.. because he seemingly has no where else to send it and they are available.

I still think we have a lot of compassion and caring as a society deep down (it comes out during disasters), but it is buried under a superficial layer of anger that gets expressed in many ways.

Last edited by northwesty; 11-16-2014 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-16-2014, 11:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
My parents work with them (my mother much more than my father) and I live in an area with them and they are indeed rude and ask for silly requests like a 1/3 of a pound of cold cuts, asking for a half of a hot dog rather than pay full price, think they can get served without being in line. I thought it was just people who lived in AZ but no, nationally there are these rude people who think the world owes them anything and everything and needs to cater to their every need.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:41 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times
Quote:
Bingo! Some of the rudest people I run into on an average day are grumpy old white men.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do most religious people even give it a second thought anymore.......when everybody and their brother says "Oh My God!!" or types OMG!!'
I do. "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain..." To me, that means do not speak the name of God unless you are talking to or about Him. I live by this and also taught my kids the same.

So call me old fashioned. I don't care.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:19 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,526 times
Quite liberal, no?

No, not at all, in fact I am quite conservative and not registered to vote, I can not stand politics because I don't believe there is a good side or a bad side or that there is even sides really. It's all a bunch of ultra wealthy with long family ties to big business or politics, they care nothing about the American people. You assume that because I'm from Oregon and used the term gun-nut and think that older men who are divorced and mouthy and surly are scary, that I must be liberal. Everyone has to fit into a little box and can not dare have a mix of beliefs.

You are 100% correct, I think they are scary. They fit the same profile as the Benjamin Moore shooter.
Vancouver Benjamin Moore shooting: Manager killed by employee was 'respectful of everybody' | OregonLive.com

Just before this happened. one guy that had been fired had threatened our boss. When I heard there was a shooting at factory in Vancouver, I thought "oh no, it actually happened"

The term gun nut. It is not normal to spend ever waking hour talking about guns.. I'm sorry, it just is not normal. There is a difference between supporting and upholding the 2nd amendment and being obsessed with guns. I can't remember my father and his friends talking about guns 24/7 or my grandfather and his friends doing the same. They talked about hunting (along with the guns and ammo), they talked about competitive shooting (along with guns or ammo), they talked about war or the war weapons and machines.... but they didn't solely talk about the guns 24/7. These just talk about gun models and specs and most of it is "I'm going to buy X weapon", and then they talk about the specs. Most of it is just wishful thinking and I have a feeling if you checked their gun safe (if they actually have one) it would be much less impressive than they claim. With these guys the conversation could be about football and they will interject with some random comment relating to guns that is completely irrelevant. Or we could be talking about Harleys and one of them will go off on a tangent about politics... We just wanted to have a nice conversation about bikes or football and they always interject with guns and politics. That's fine when you have level headed people, but these guys always get too passionate and then get argumentative (with people who agree with them) like they are just always looking for conflict or looking to be disagreeable for fun.

Couple the gun obsession with a short fuse, constant swearing, throwing tools, and talking to themselves.... yeah they are scary people. If you change a blueprint or a customer decides they want to change a dimension they just start ranting and raving rather than just saying okay, yeah I'll just make one slight change to the program. They are never pleasant (to anyone) and I wouldn't even consider them above average machinists, they are nothing special. There is nothing that says these are calm, normal people who have everything under control. Interactions with them prove otherwise. I also find it amusing they claim to be Christians and lecture others about Christianity when they don't practice a single thing they preach. As a devout christian and someone who knows my way around the bible. I can say they are ruining everyone's idea of how a christian should act.

We have many great professional machinists, technicians, and engineers of all ages where I work, including some 19-25 year old wiz kids. They do not swear and they are calm, collected individuals. They are agreeable and pleasant to converse with and stay away from subjects that have no place in a workplace. That's probably why they aren't still cutting stock and making chips on a manual Bridgeport at 20 dollars an hour after 30 years.

The boss offered some of these guys Mastercam certs and BobCAD courses (company paid for them). The younger guys jumped at the chance. The 4 of the 5 old guys turned it down because they would have to go to a 2 hour class on their day off and said that if they did that they wanted to get paid at their regular pay, since it's work related they weren't interested, nevermind the company paying $500 a head for each cert. Big mistake.... Next year we will be down to one manual machinist position. I think I'll go on vacation the week that is announced.

The other side of the coin, is the young people I have interviews who have called me dogg and said "know what I mean every" or ya feel me" after every sentence. Also a large number of people of all ages who flat out lie about their credential not knowing we have a written and practical test, older guys have fallen into the same trap.

I am digressing. So yeah, I'd say 30-40% of the population through all age ranges and socioeconomic backgrounds are ignorant and disrespectful. I do my best to stay away from those people and so far my life has been better as a direct result.

Old 11-16-2014, 04:19 PM

144 posts, read 184,686 times
Well, I never spoke that way. I'm young. But we certainlt don't dress better.XD

Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Default Are younger people today just ignorant or disrespectful?

Yes! But thankfully, not all of them.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:14 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
I've run across a few rambunctious seniors. I stop and talk to an elderly neighbor once in a while and, my oh my, he likes to swear. I tell him to remember he's talking to a lady.

When my mother was 75, she announced that she was going to do whatever the hell she wanted to do and say whatever the hell she wanted to say from that moment on. She also informed me that I, nor anyone else, could stop her. LOL Oh dear, there were times when I had to act as a human body shield, a negotiator or an interpreter to save her from being attacked in one way or another. Thankfully, she got that out of her system and calmed down.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:00 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've run across a few rambunctious seniors. I stop and talk to an elderly neighbor once in a while and, my oh my, he likes to swear. I tell him to remember he's talking to a lady.

When my mother was 75, she announced that she was going to do whatever the hell she wanted to do and say whatever the hell she wanted to say from that moment on. She also informed me that I, nor anyone else, could stop her. LOL Oh dear, there were times when I had to act as a human body shield, a negotiator or an interpreter to save her from being attacked in one way or another. Thankfully, she got that out of her system and calmed down.
Try telling a 40 something he's talking to a lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement