Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 AM

795 posts, read 1,010,170 times

Advertisements

Without going into all the details. My sister-in-law and her husband have for years been kind of hinting/waiting around impatiently for a inheritance of about $200K from a 88 year old living parent. That is before the parent is even deceased. Its a nice gift to receive something, but I can't stand the way they act now about it.
Anyone run into this kind of thing. I would like to give them a piece of my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Have had several relatives like that or "blood money suckers" as I call it.

Actually one or two got screwed out of the money because in one case the daughter was slowly draining her father's accounts before he was gone. He didn't know it because he trusted her and was blind.

In anther case the son gambled away the inheritance and no one knew until they were trying to "follow the money."

"Don't count your chickens before their hatched."

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Without going into all the details. My sister-in-law and her husband have for years been kind of hinting/waiting around impatiently for a inheritance of about $200K from a 88 year old living parent. That is before the parent is even deceased. Its a nice gift to receive something, but I can't stand the way they act now about it.
Anyone run into this kind of thing. I would like to give them a piece of my mind.
They are greedy and care nothing of the 88 year old parent.

They probably are hoping the parent dies today.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Yes, sadly I have known of such folks. Some inherited as expected. But one in particular . . . his Dad had figured out what was going on (unbeknownst to son) and when Dad died, son didn't inherit one penny of the several million dollar estate as Dad had changed his will to go to others (including non profit organizations).

Agree with Ellwood . . . don't count on anything in this life before it is in your hands.

Further, most of us are aware how expensive nursing homes, LTC facilities, etc are . . . at the end of their lives, folks may have to use every penny to pay for their own care.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:02 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,332,338 times
Fortunately, no. We just lost our last parent and my sister and I were afraid to ask our other sister, who is the executor, about any inheritance. We felt like the Menendez brothers even mentioning it!

Old 11-28-2014, 01:59 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,116,034 times
An 88 year old in reasonably good health could easily live another 10 years or more. If they need any assisted living or healthcare, the money will be totally gone and the parent will be dependent on Medicaid.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, sadly I have known of such folks. Some inherited as expected. But one in particular . . . his Dad had figured out what was going on (unbeknownst to son) and when Dad died, son didn't inherit one penny of the several million dollar estate as Dad had changed his will to go to others (including non profit organizations).

Agree with Ellwood . . . don't count on anything in this life before it is in your hands.

Further, most of us are aware how expensive nursing homes, LTC facilities, etc are . . . at the end of their lives, folks may have to use every penny to pay for their own care.
Yes agree with all that. These two will inherit as expected (probably). In this case the Mother is stable financially. The two are in mid 60s kind of retired. One works part time with SS Other is getting disability. They live in another state with a low cost of living. Often pleading poverty yet they have a nice newer home, two nice cars and go on vacations across the country etc...
Don't think they saved much if any for retirement. So aside from SS they are depending on and waiting for this generous $200K from her Mother.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times
If I knew my son felt the way these two greedy people are,
I would cut him completely out of the will.

They would also have a letter signed by me,
given to them after I die, telling them why they get nothing ! ! !

Old 11-28-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Fortunately, no. We just lost our last parent and my sister and I were afraid to ask our other sister, who is the executor, about any inheritance. We felt like the Menendez brothers even mentioning it!
Very sorry for your loss. I was a executor in VA. Don't know how CA is but we had to inform persons named in the will as to the statis. They could request the accounting of the will. But I'm sure it could also be discussed off the record between siblings .
Again sorry for your loss.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,512,524 times
My only son says. I hope you spend everything. Enjoy yourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement