Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM

795 posts, read 1,010,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I hope the late generous parent didn't deprive him/herself of anything they wanted in retirement just to hang onto these moochers' inheritance. That is so distasteful.
Fortunately the parent was able to live comfortably in a nice home. Not rich, but had a good monthly survivor's pension to live on and cash for other incidentals. Pretty much a home body and lead a fairly simple life. No desires to travel, buy new cars etc...
The two moochers publicly pleaded poverty for years. I think it was a ploy. Yet they have a newer 4br 3 br home, new cars and were forever going on vacations. The husband is on SSDI for some kind of condition. To me he looked pretty able bodied to be working. I think he could be one of the many scamming the system. She works part time in retail. But announced she wanted to retire now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,654,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
She works part time in retail. But announced she wanted to retire now.
Oh, yeah, they are going to be poor again in a couple of years.

I'm one of seven kids. When my father died at the age of 89 only three of the kids were able to pay for the funeral; myself and two brothers. The rest are the paycheck-to-paycheck types, or 'disabled'..lol

I did not have a good relationship with my mother, and haven't seen her in at least 20 years (except at my father's funeral). However, when she was having financial troubles (RE taxes) I found out about it and paid the taxes for her.

My parents had separate wills. The survivor's will would be the valid will. I don't expect any type of inheritance, especially when I heard that one of my sisters was trying to convince my mother to cut me out of her will, at my father's funeral, no less!!!

My mother is still alive and living in her home; she's 94 now. Most likely, the same three siblings will have to cover the expense of her funeral. The others are still waiting...............

I hope she spends all of her money before she dies.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,555,140 times
Quote:
Fortunately the parent was able to live comfortably in a nice home. Not rich, but had a good monthly survivor's pension to live on and cash for other incidentals. Pretty much a home body and lead a fairly simple life. No desires to travel, buy new cars etc...
The two moochers publicly pleaded poverty for years. I think it was a ploy. Yet they have a newer 4br 3 br home, new cars and were forever going on vacations. The husband is on SSDI for some kind of condition. To me he looked pretty able bodied to be working. I think he could be one of the many scamming the system. She works part time in retail. But announced she wanted to retire now.
While we never know the particulars of another's financial situatio (unless we're their accountant) - statistically anyone who retires quickly after receiving such a modest lump sum is likely to quickly outlive their money.

Hopefully, the deceased got joy out of knowing they could provide this for their family. Whether or not the family uses it wisely, the deceased will be beyond knowing/caring.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:47 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Without going into all the details. My sister-in-law and her husband have for years been kind of hinting/waiting around impatiently for a inheritance of about $200K from a 88 year old living parent. That is before the parent is even deceased. Its a nice gift to receive something, but I can't stand the way they act now about it.
Anyone run into this kind of thing. I would like to give them a piece of my mind.
I'd spend every last penny of it.

$200k isn't that much if she has to spend her remaining years in a nice assisted living facility that can easily cost $5,000/month for a really nice one. And a really nice one is exactly what she deserves.

Already warned my children not to count on anything, not one dime because I plan to spend every last dime and if anything is left I leave it to the Hari Krishna's. They know dad well enough to know he is fully capable of just this sort of behavior.

I came into this world with nothing, I earned every dime I ever spent and I plan to leave with nothing.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:13 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,601,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
... Most likely, the same three siblings will have to cover the expense of her funeral. The others are still waiting...............

I hope she spends all of her money before she dies.
Perhaps the same three siblings could manage to spend what's left of her money on the expense of her funeral.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
My parents have a living trust that my brother and I both have copies of. It's been discussed.
I think this is the best way to handle an estate of any significance. Also, it is best to share the info with heirs.

People who wait like vultures for older relatives to die, so they can inherit are sickening. Don't they get that for them to inherit, someone they are suppose to love has to die?

But honestly, inheriting $200,000 sounds nice but it isn't enough for them to be able to live comfortably for the rest of their lives. I guess it gives them a nice cushion, or money to spend.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:57 AM

23,224 posts, read 29,066,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
They are greedy and care nothing of the 88 year old parent.

They probably are hoping the parent dies today.

I don't see anything abnormal about desiring a sizeable inheritance some day or wishing the elder parent would die early. And those that deny those unspoken desires are the biggest, fattest liars you'll ever meet!

At least these people are honest and outspoken about it! Give them credit for that!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,726,084 times
Thankfully nobody in my family is in this situation. My SO mother is more concerned about draining her two sons dry than anything else.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
My in-laws aren't waiting for my MIL to leave us. They're all in her pockets all the time and bleeding her dry before she goes including her grandson who lives off of her. They're a despicable bunch.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't see anything abnormal about desiring a sizeable inheritance some day or wishing the elder parent would die early. And those that deny those unspoken desires are the biggest, fattest liars you'll ever meet!

At least these people are honest and outspoken about it! Give them credit for that!
I'll give you the first part as I do think most people would want a large inheritance BUT the second is totally abnormal in my book. I doubt that most people would want their elderly parents to die early, I know I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement