Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:22 AM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I'm so jealous, I have 596 days, 12 hours, 30 minutes and 10 seconds left (but I'm not counting). I have a major system launch next summer and then just need to train my replacement and I'm gone. It's been fun, but I am ready.
i have a countdown timer on my screen too , 227 days 16 hours 37 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 09:17 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,874 times
I have two countdowns - one to 27 years in the state retirement system (1659 days) - another to age 65 (1400 days).

Congratulations to the OP!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If I were you, first thing I would do... if you have not already signed up for ACA, is to do that. The deadline is coming. Even though you have a little more time because you no longer(?) have employer Healthcare coverage, you should get this done.
The OP has probably already signed up for Medicare...or has it on his "to do" list. The ACA is for those under retirement age, and has nothing to do with Medicare.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:38 AM

246 posts, read 279,108 times
I retired 3 years ago (1 year early with buy out) from federal government and have not regretted a day of it. You will find other things to do and wonder how you managed to do anything when working. Good luck

Old 12-15-2014, 03:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
The OP has probably already signed up for Medicare...or has it on his "to do" list. The ACA is for those under retirement age, and has nothing to do with Medicare.
I am retired and have signed up for the ACA. Not everyone who retires is of "retirement age."

Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I am retired and have signed up for the ACA. Not everyone who retires is of "retirement age."

true... I was age 15 at first retirement (from Dairy Farm Boarding School), followed by age 35, then 49, and again in 2 more weeks.

Retire early, retire often! Its too fun to do just once.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:22 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Keep up and keep active with hobbies , as the work never ends until the end of life , see people who stop doing something active for their bodies , then end of their life comes to collect them

That's more B.S. - for the majority of people, heredity & genes determine how healthy they will be or how long they will live.

For example, my grandmother died at age 94.....hadn't done ANYTHING as far as physical activity was concerned for 30 years at least. Her most demanding activity was knitting & sewing.

On the other hand, I knew of a family acquaintance who ran everyday, worked out and was in great shape - no extra weight on him, ate healthy, didn't smoke, drank lightly.....DIED AT 38!!! (Heart attack). Just about everyone who knew him ran to get a check up when it happened.

Not I'm not saying that people should just throw caution to the wind and start cooking with bacon fat or eating a tub of Crisco everyday but if someone is sensible in their diet and in controlling their weight, alcohol intake, etc., the main decider of their health/longevity will be dictated by genetics.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:23 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Don't know if I am ready for this or not but here goes.

Butterflies in the stomach and all.

Thought I would work another year or two but I've had it.
Congratulations to you!! You will love it! I retired about 6 weeks ago after a career of 41+ years and I was definitely ready! For the first week or so after retiring I just veg'd out.... took naps, lots of naps, just kind of decompressing. I still don't sleep in too late (5:30 am) but this too might change with time. I've been working on gardening projects and other things that I just didn't have the energy to do when I was working. I live in south Florida where the winter is the best time of the year to be outside enjoying the cooler weather. I live near two national parks and have been doing some hiking. I find that I do most of my shopping during the week when stores are less busy and chill on the weekends. I have dogs who seem to be much happier and more relaxed with me at home. I was gone 10 - 11 hours each day (work + the commute) so I have lots of time to do what I want, when I want. I've enjoyed reading, walking my dogs, working on projects around my home, but have not yet decided what else I might want to do. I really want to move back to the north to a lower col area and a 4 season climate.

I am so excited for you in your new life's adventure. Enjoy and don't feel you just have to do anything for awhile. Just relax and exhale.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:52 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,460,328 times
Congratulations! Today was MY first official day of retirement, and I was so busy at home doing things I WANTED to do that I am exhausted...but GRATEFULLY so!!!!

I REALLY think I am going to embrace this and hope you do too!!!!

I feel more relaxed than I have in YEARS knowing the stressors of work are NOT breathing down my neck for tomorrow....I REALLY pray that retirement is as good as today was as a whole.....it will be wonderful beyond my wildest dreams. I wish the same for you!!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 07:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,132,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Congratulations! Today was MY first official day of retirement, and I was so busy at home doing things I WANTED to do that I am exhausted...but GRATEFULLY so!!!!

I REALLY think I am going to embrace this and hope you do too!!!!

I feel more relaxed than I have in YEARS knowing the stressors of work are NOT breathing down my neck for tomorrow....I REALLY pray that retirement is as good as today was as a whole.....it will be wonderful beyond my wildest dreams. I wish the same for you!!!!
You will love it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement