Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times

Advertisements

7 years ago I broke my leg. During my recovery I became an avid gym goer. I still go to the gym 4 days a week. I'm still working, so I go after work. 2 days I go to aqua aerobics, 2 days I use the treadmill and weight machines. On the other days I try to walk at least 10,000 steps (measured by my pedometer).
I have a very personal (and some would say silly) incentive program. I pick out something that I really want to buy and pay myself $5 each time I go to the gym or reach 10,000 steps. Sometimes it's something small like a new top, sometimes it's bigger. Right now I'm working on a new TV for the bedroom, I figure it will take about 10 weeks.
There are a lot of options out there - Many PBS stations offer morning exercise programs (sit and be fit, yoga) that you can tape an see later in the day. Libraries have fitness videos at all levels that you can rent (or watch on something like Amazon prime).
The important thing is to find what works for you and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The new senior center here has partnered with the Y, which is next door. They have a gym at the center and coaches from the Y, at only $20/mo for seniors. So I'll start there. I have to figure out a system of reward for making myself go 3 x week (they're only open till noon, and I have other commitments 2 mornings a week). I know it's a "reward" in and of itself to get fit, but I need some kind of motivation to just get there and stick with it, so maybe a $ kitty to buy myself something each time on the way home (do you sense my dread??).
If our Y and senior center had an arrangement like that, I'd jump at it!

My incentive is audiobooks. I download them to my iPhone. I make sure that I always have one really good one downloaded that I allow myself to only listen to while working out. Usually that means a good mystery!
I both buy them and check them out from my local library. But back before I started doing that, I'd listen to NPR podcasts: Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me; This American Life; etc.

Another trick I learned is to put on my workout clothes as soon as I get out of bed in the morning. I then drink my coffee while checking news, weather, email. When that's all done and I'm sitting there in my workout clothes, it seems silly to do anything other than go work out.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:34 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Another trick I learned is to put on my workout clothes as soon as I get out of bed in the morning. I then drink my coffee while checking news, weather, email. When that's all done and I'm sitting there in my workout clothes, it seems silly to do anything other than go work out.
I really, really like this.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 PM

241 posts, read 272,722 times
That's funny, it's part of my gig as well. I get up and now put on my sweats instead of my work clothes. It seems much more relaxing for some reason. I then take my work clothes and change at work after I cool down. Will have to work out a routine when I retire that fits my routine then.............

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
As biscuitmom, I would suggest that you try Curves. I love it and I'm 67. It's all women, no need to adjust the machines, they play music, and it's fun.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
You need to find a friend to go with who is comfortable adjusting the weight machines and help acclimate/motivate you. Germs are usually not a problem at most gyms because they provide wipes, hand cleanser, etc. I bring my own hand towel (but most gyms also provide these) that I can put down on a machine for my head, etc. And when in the gym I never put my hands on my face, so germs don't have a chance to spread!

All that said, if you still can't stand it, then you need to find an alternative - maybe just use the cardio stuff - bikes, ellipticals, treadmills, etc. Many gyms also have classes too - yoga, Pilates, cardio - take your pick!

Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, I would prefer this idea over trekking to the gym...but would I really stick with it if I am responsible for motiving myself every day? And, is a bike and treadmill as all-around balanced as the myriad pieces of equipment at a gym? One thing I do is the minitrampoline (10-15 min) while watching the evening news on TV. I have to have low-impact because of a serious leg problem (old case of thrombophlebitis), and so any kind of exercise class that would have me impacting on a floor would never work. I also think knowing how to do progressive weights,as coached in a gym, would be of great benefit at my age.

True....you would need to be self motivated but I don't really have an issue in that regard. Further, having the equipment in my home does away with relying on excuses not to go exercise such as not wanting to drive to the gym because of a traffic problem, bad weather, too crowded, etc.

And your second point about having more options & equipment at the gym is true (and you're also paying a premium for same). But I've found that many people start out in the beginning intending to stick with the gym thing but wind up either going sporadically or eventually stop going entirely

http://woodlandcrossfit.files.wordpr...1/gym-jan1.jpg

As I said, I can't really come up with an excuse when I have the equipment right in my home (also have a weight/Smith machine for weightlifting, rowing, etc.) but if you feel you may need the direction and motivation that a gym environment provides, give it a shot....I would suggest you try to find one that allows you to pay monthly or gives a prorated refund if you decide to quit. I haven't checked recently but it used to be you paid a yearly fee.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 PM

306 posts, read 416,514 times
I started going to the gym last June. It was only because it was 2 blocks away and $20 a month that I signed up. I went for a bit and have just finished once a week Personal trainer time. I was going 5 days a week cardio and strength, once a week training. I'm glad I got some training I learned exercises and stretching as well as some of the machines. I'm down 17 lbs and more importantly I am much more physically fit. I was dismayed at how unfit I was when I started, I tired Jumping Jacks and my feet just wouldn't leave the ground! Now I can actually do them, as well as a couple Burpees and squats and lunges, amazing! I'm much more flexible and coordinated which will become more and more important as I age I think.

Now Winter is here and I hate going after work when it's dark and morning is dark as well here. I am working out at home, I use the app Sworkit, I do the dumbbell, kettle bell exercises I learned at the gym and I have a mini trampoline I use at night while watching TV. I try to get in 8000 - 10000 steps a day. I can usually get 7500 or so at work and will try to do the rest on the trampoline. I will probably head back to the gym when it's light longer. I would like to be a morning exerciser and have that as a goal to work to this year.

I think when I am no longer working I will be at the gym a lot more I love the day time there it's much more peaceful, you can actually use the equipment without waiting.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:41 PM

79 posts, read 81,851 times
Default Planet Fitness!

I also go to Planet Fitness.. they have all the machines, free weights, mats, tv's you can watch while working out (plug your earbuds or phones into the machine) or just listen to your mp3 player. For $10/month can't be beat..

I've lost 30 pounds since retiring at the end of 2013.. try to go 3 or 4 times a week.. when it's warm enough I ride my bike to the gym, then skip the aerobic exercise and just do upper body.

I usually go around 4pm (since I'm retired I have that flexibility) and am often thinking about what healthy dinner I will make when I get home! Gives me something to look forward to.

At 63, I'm probably in the best shape of my life.. you gotta keep moving!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:11 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Don't go to the gym, make your home, yard and neighborhood into a gym.

Between weights, core, legs and stretching there are about 6 different routines I can do a home, either inside or out in the yard.
From my house I can climb four different mountain trails and many different bike rides.

I have committed to getting physically active every morning, first thing before coffee, for 30 to 45 minutes.
If it is cold and dark, I stay inside. If it is a beautiful morning, it is outside for a bike ride or hike.
If it is going to be really hot, I can get outside early while it is cool.
If it is cold and I don't want to workout, I can bundle up and walk 2.5 miles (x2) to m favorite coffee shop.

I commit to everyday, but am very flexible WHAT I do. Having a choice makes me feel in control.

If I had to get up and drive to the gym, it would feel too much like commuting to a job.
I make it close and by having options, I make it fun.
I try to view it as I get to get up and PLAY awhile before my day really begins.

And tomorrow I get to get up and go skiing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement