Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:51 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,773,173 times

Advertisements

I download books to my Kindle with a USB from my laptop and it's really fast. Someday I'll hook up to the library's download section so I can get more books for free. Since I'm going to be moving, I'm not bothering with this library's system. If you want free ebooks books through your library just try Overdrive. Your public library can get you set up, in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,001,348 times
Does 3G use more battery power? And is it an option that you choose when purchasing the Kindle?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,632,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Does 3G use more battery power? And is it an option that you choose when purchasing the Kindle?
It probably uses the same as wi-fi. To conserve power switch to Airplane Mode. You choose this when purchasing. People must make great use of it because they've had to raise the price of the unlimited 3g since I bought mine three years ago. But there are still no contracts or monthly fees.

Kindle Paperwhite e-reader

Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,001,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It probably uses the same as wi-fi. To conserve power switch to Airplane Mode. You choose this when purchasing. People must make great use of it because they've had to raise the price of the unlimited 3g since I bought mine three years ago. But there are still no contracts or monthly fees.

Kindle Paperwhite e-reader
Wow there's a $70 difference between wifi and 3G. I suppose it's worth it but I prefer the $119.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,632,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wow there's a $70 difference between wifi and 3G. I suppose it's worth it but I prefer the $119.
If you don't buy it on this one you'll buy it on your next one when the price will have gone up.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:43 PM

7,040 posts, read 4,925,291 times
I don't think fear of technology, if it actually is fear, has anything to do with age. I think it has more to do with attitude and need. My dad was in his 70s and went onto the computer like he'd been doing it all his life. My mom's the same age and won't touch one. I love computers, but I have no need of smart phones. I have a pay as you go phone and usually forget to bring it with me. I'd still have a landline if I could afford it but I also have Skype for serious calls.

I find technology is more about what you're interested in, too. I have an interest in computer viruses and how to be secure on the internet, but I am far more interested in finding those little quirks in computers that let you do different things (like jumping to a URL from the question mark in the calculator). It's just like I'm interested in learning more about raccoons than about football. To me, raccoons are interesting, football is boring.

And some technology that I think would normally be neat, is something I don't want because of how it's used. I want a car with a key lock on all the doors, not just the front ones, with windows that can be rolled up or down by hand, and no flipping computer inside it. I don't mind all the bells and whistles, but I also don't need them and because I don't need them, I don't want to pay extra for them. And having learned and become proficient in reading a map (and also fascinated by maps), I see no reason for GPS. Basically anywhere. Plus I don't like the idea of who can and does track me in my car. I'm an off the radar sort of person.

I don't know where I stand when it comes to being an old person with evolving technology. I guess if it becomes something that fascinates me, I'll learn everything about it. If it's something I really don't care about, I'll end up being an old fogie that's living back in the 80s and won't learn a thing about it.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 PM

8,370 posts, read 6,472,465 times
I just bought a tablet and I can't sign in. I've tried everything I can think of and it always says user name and password don't match. I finally found Dell's number and am going to try to call them tomorrow. I just knew something like this would happen and it stresses me out, makes me tired and depressed.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,556,475 times
I have 6 Kindles (counting my two Fires) and only one has 3G. I've had the 3G one since 2010 and don't recall ever using the 3G feature.
I'm sure there are circumstances in which people might feel the need for it, but it's not happened to me yet. And I travel a lot, I'm on the road almost as much as I'm at home.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:02 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,210,581 times
Which carrier does the Kindle 3G use? Verizon is about the only one that works in my rural area.
But I'm thinking that downloading to my computer, and then transferring to a Kindle might work just as well, and cost less.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Which carrier does the Kindle 3G use? Verizon is about the only one that works in my rural area.
But I'm thinking that downloading to my computer, and then transferring to a Kindle might work just as well, and cost less.
I do that with my Nook. All my books are downloaded to my computer and moved into Calibre.
From Calibre I transfer it to my Nook.

And when I want to remove books, mostly those free fiction books I won't read again, I also do that through Calibre. It removes the book from your desktop and your device.

Calibre is a program to manage your books for any device.

calibre - E-book management

I believe they use AT&T for their carrier.
Here's a link. If you scroll down to 3G section there's a link for a coverage map.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh.../dp/B007OZNUCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement