Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
My data phone is useless as a computing device. The screen is too small, the touch keyboards are too hard for me to use,
<snoip>
The screen size on even the largest cell phone is simply too small to make for pleasant surfing, or anything else other than reading the weather banner. IMO its even too small for GPS. My eyes are as old as the rest of me - and they're not up to seeing much of anything on that teeny tiny screen.
<snip>
Cell phones are lousy computing devices.
That's akin to saying books, newspapers, and magazines are "useless" and "lousy" because your eyes can't make out the print.

I'm 66+ y.o. and DH is 64+ y.o, and like most our age, our close vision is not what it used to be. We use reading glasses for many tasks so for us it's no problem to wear them when using our smartphones. But since our smartphones have adjustable text on most apps so (unlike print materials), we don't always need the glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That's akin to saying books, newspapers, and magazines are "useless" and "lousy" because your eyes can't make out the print.

I'm 66+ y.o. and DH is 64+ y.o, and like most our age, our close vision is not what it used to be. We use reading glasses for many tasks so for us it's no problem to wear them when using our smartphones. But since our smartphones have adjustable text on most apps so (unlike print materials), we don't always need the glasses.
I always carry a number of small format foreign language dictionaries and some similar size reference books in my truck. The Collins Gem is 3'' x 4.4''; the small Oxford is about the same. They're completely functional and great to have awat from home. I wouldn't be without them. They are not, however, a joy to read. While I often brose a dictionary I put these back in their little rack after I've found the word.

My opinion of a tiny computer screen is the same. If I absolutely had to use a computer on the go it would be a laptop. The only small screen I carry is my Kindle Paperwhite. If Amazon offered it in a larger size I'd have it.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:45 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I
My opinion of a tiny computer screen is the same. If I absolutely had to use a computer on the go it would be a laptop.
Up until the last year or so I would have agreed with you. Since then I've found that the "pinch" feature on my smartphone works to enlarge text well enough, and my iPhone 6 screen (compared to my preious iPhone 4 screen) is large enough that it's a non-factor.
When we take long trips - more than a week or so - I carry a chromebook. But for anything shorter the iPhone does the trick.

I have a basic (not paperwhite) cheap Kindle and it's the joy of my life, I can set the text to the level that I can read clearly without glasses. I'm never without it whether at home or traveling. Same thing on every Kindle I've owned since ca 2010.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I want a phone that is smart enough to go from Vibrate to RING LOUDLY when I am looking for it. (there should be a Voice Mail feature that allows you to enter a "Ring Now" code while searching). There probably is an 'APP' for that,,,

BTDT ... today. Phone had been mistakenly set down in a very obscure spot in a very large and messy Barn. (on vibrate, due to just getting out of a meeting)

Old 04-08-2015, 05:43 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We have smart phones, but don't use the features much except for a text once in awhile. I'm ok with mine, but my DH hates the thing, and can barely get the hang of answering it. We would be fine with old flip homes, and many of our friends still use them. We have a landline too, which we keep talking about getting rid of, but we had the cellphones in general, so don't want to have them be our only source of contact.
We pay about $40. a month for two phones, with Consumer Cellular.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
I have the first flip phone I ever bought. It serves my purposes just fine. I have a desk top computer, and I have a laptop for a backup.

I use the phone as a phone and have no interest in having access to the internet except when I am home. When I'm out alone I read a book or listen to my iPod.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:17 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Flip Phone: Pay as you go. $100 for 1000 minutes, but the minutes last for a year. Mine last about 6 months, so my phone only costs me about $200 a year.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
10 y.o. Samsung flip phone, use it about 4x a month on average. $16 per month.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:34 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
We still have the flip phone and would have nothing at all except we don't want our daughter ordering the staff around at timeshares because we accidently left our telephone off the hook and she wants to know we are all right.

We also have a land line, a car phone, OnStar and we take our computer along wherever we go. Most hotels and timeshares have free WiFi. I don't see myself ever with a smart phone. I like the larger screen on my computer and a mouse. The idea of moving the curser with my fingers does not appeal to me.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We also have a land line, a car phone, OnStar and we take our computer along wherever we go. Most hotels and timeshares have free WiFi.
Many hotels DON'T have free Wifi or have very poor quality internet services - I travel with a Wifi hotspot to avoid using someone else's dodgy internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement