Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 02:17 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times

Advertisements

We gave up the iphone as we did not use it enough to make it worthwhile. We bought 2 flip phones (with cameras), brand new (yes they still make them). And for $100 per year, we get 800 minutes which we find handles our needs very well, which makes it about $6.50 per month. Neither of us like to text with a phone. My fingers are too big. When we are out and about we take the iPad along if we want to use email, or look up something on the Internet. Just find a hot spot, and go on it.

We do our calling and taking calls on the land line. Went to NetTalk which plugs into our internet modem, and the base phone unit into it. Works just as well as our old land line, and Free calling anywhere in U.S. and Canada. Cost $39.95 per year plus $5 a year taxes. On vacation if we want to do a lot of calling- just take the little box along and a telephone and use the wireless feature to connect to the Internet, plug into electricity at a motel, and our landline is right there to use. Get any messages left in our box, and return calls in the evening. Have an adapter we plug into the cigarette lighter plug in, and can use it anywhere there is a hot spot which are easy to find.

For $20 a month total, we have 2 cell phones, and a land line line with unlimited nationwide calling instead of the $150 plus we formerly spent. Fortunately we could afford the old way, but one thing I like to do for fun, is try to figure out how to cut costs and have the same quality of life we had before we make any change. I figured I saved enough on the phone, to pay our housekeeper, and pay to have the lawn mowed for a week. I spent all my life in the business world, and was hired to come in and show a business how to cut costs, to improve the bottom line. It is an old habit, I can't get over doing it for things like this. My wife said savings on the phone bill, was money she could spend for fun things. I bought one for a son who I thought needed land line, and it worked so well I got us one and cut the land line bill to almost nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 02:28 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
flip phone here-pay as I go. If/when I can't use this one and need a new one, I'll go with a flip again. It takes pics and, if I payed extra would have internet access.

Landline is my preference. Unlimited US calling. Works for me.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
flip phone here-pay as I go. If/when I can't use this one and need a new one, I'll go with a flip again. It takes pics and, if I payed extra would have internet access.

Landline is my preference. Unlimited US calling. Works for me.
^^This!

Old 04-05-2015, 05:37 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Unfortunately, we can't use a landline, as we are off-grid and have no telephone service nearby.

I have been using a TracFone flip phone for many years now. It takes minute cards that I buy at Wallyworld. It ends up costing me about $7 a month. Recently I went on eBay and bought 2 new flip phones of the same type, plus cases for them and 4 extra batteries. The 2 new ones are not activated yet. I now have 3 identical phones (at about $19 per) and 6 OEM batteries for them, plus 3 chargers.

My wife has a higher-end flip phone that she used to use for her work, and it's on a plan. She now thinks the plan costs too much, compared to what I spend, so I will give her one of my spares when her plan expires. Neither one of us has much interest in phones: we grew up using them to call people, and still use them for that. My grandkids like to text me, and I enjoy texting them back.

We live in a remote area of northern Maine. We both have chores to do around the place, with gardening, canning, raising poultry (turkeys and geese, as well as chickens), cutting firewood, and sundry building projects. We love the scenery up here, and don't spend a lot of time with our noses in a screen. We already have 3 digital cameras, 2 car GPS units plus a hand-held, and a ton of wind-up manual alarm clocks (the kind that work if the power goes out, which ours never does). I cannot imagine what we'd need a smartphone for, and have no plans to buy one.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:40 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,359 times
We are more recently retired and we do not have land lines anymore. I have an I-Phone and spouse a droid. The reason I have the I-phone is because my children do and we facetime, especially to see the grandchildren. I would say we facetime 3 times a week so it's well worth it. And I love getting on the internet no matter where we are. We took a small overnight trip and it was nice to look up places to eat on the road, etc. I truly can't imagine not having a smart phone. It would be a great disadvantage for me. (in fact, the other day I was out of town and was able to download my lab results I had taken day before we left. Without internet I would have had to wait for them until I got home)

Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
Okay, well, I have used an AT&T "Go Phone" for some time, no contract. It only requires purchasing minutes beforehand, buying a certain sum for a stretch of time, which comes out to about $8.00 a month. I think there are newer "options" available through them, but again, is not more costly, unless purchasing a data plan, etc. Last year I switched to a regular Smart phone, using Wi-Fi only at home, as I do with an iPad.

Admittedly, I do not use a cell phone to the same extent that many others do, still preferring a land-line for most calls an am content with what I have.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:53 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
We have not had a landline for 5 years. Although some of the early phones were big and primitive I have never owned a flip phone.

Happily I still have a grandfathered $30/month unlimited data plan with Verizon. I travel in my RV about 50% of the year and the smart phone is essential. I use the GPS functions for navigation. The phone provides mobile internet for weather, finding campgrounds, etc. With the use of a third party app, it also functions as a mobile hotspot for my computer.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
We still have our 2 flip phones with Tracfone for a total of $17.77 per month. Main use is for having in the car in case of emergency or maybe to call home if one of us is out to say they are bringing lunch back. We are not big fans of always having to be connected every minute of the day. Probably will look again at a smartphone when one of our current phones dies.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 AM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Low budget life here. I use a flip phone. I serves the purpose.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times
I finally got a cell phone last December, just because I wanted a phone in the car in case of a breakdown or emergency. At 61 years driving a 2003 car, I figured it was time.

Got a Tracfone flip phone and I have used it exactly one time......when I made the initial test call.

It aggravates me that I am spending money for something I never use, yet, at the same time, I love the feeling of security it gives me.

I also put it in my pocket when I went out to clear snow off of the driveway this winter and will have it in my pocket when I clean the gutters, etc...........just in case I fall down, go boom and can't get up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement