Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

I have spent the last few months investigating the costs of Thailand and the Philippines as a retirement location. There are literally HUNDREDS of ex-pats who have video blogs on YouTube. Some even go through their month expenses ad nauseum.

Yes, you can live in certain locations in those countries for under $2,000. However, is the lifestyle equivalent to the US? Not really. Most Americans drive cars as opposed to scooters. The thought of being 65 or 70 years and riding scooters through the streets of Manila is not an exercise that I would entertain. Also, the health care available in the 2nd tier cities in the Philippines does not meet minimal standards in the US.

I am NOT saying that it is not possible. I have reviewed dozens of ex-pat books over the year extolling the virtues of one country or another as a retirement locale. Each of them has a story of how they do it. However, I do not think that most of their lifestyles would be acceptable or comparable to most American retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have spent the last few months investigating the costs of Thailand and the Philippines as a retirement location. There are literally HUNDREDS of ex-pats who have video blogs on YouTube. Some even go through their month expenses ad nauseum.

Yes, you can live in certain locations in those countries for under $2,000. However, is the lifestyle equivalent to the US? Not really. Most Americans drive cars as opposed to scooters. The thought of being 65 or 70 years and riding scooters through the streets of Manila is not an exercise that I would entertain. Also, the health care available in the 2nd tier cities in the Philippines does not meet minimal standards in the US.

I am NOT saying that it is not possible. I have reviewed dozens of ex-pat books over the year extolling the virtues of one country or another as a retirement locale. Each of them has a story of how they do it. However, I do not think that most of their lifestyles would be acceptable or comparable to most American retirees.
Exactly.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Choosing a country to retire to based primarily on the COL seems like a mistake to me. There are many cultural differences between, for example, Spain and Thailand. It would be smart to figure out which one is culturally more suitable for you before moving.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'd avoid Ecuador: a left-wing, anti-American administration is not what I would call a great guarantor of property rights for an American ex-pat.
A typical ex-pat is not much concerned with those issues.
But for those who are, alrighty then, point made.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:30 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
I would look to rural US. Somewhere warm and rural, a place you can have a garden and some chickens. A private well. Wood and propane/electric heat. Close to a town with a Walmart and some good discount grocery stores. Maybe get to know a few people and pickup up job at a small store or something if you need it. Take a close look at taxes, i figure income tax isnt going to be your primary concern with your income being trimmed so much. Download some tax forms from the perspective state and get a rough idea of your taxes to make sure. Checking rental prices might be difficult without being there but you should be able to get a good idea from the local sunday paper online.

States I would look at

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah etc. Not all those are warm of course. I would probably start in south east texas, coastal areas and work my way up. A lot of nice small towns that you can get by comfortably in on 2000 a month (assuming you arent paying debts).

Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
I am SO glad to read some unbiased info on retiring overseas here. The usual internet crap is all wine, flowers and carefree living, never mentioning the technicalities or Real costs. This is GREAT stuff! DW would never retire in Asia, central or South America. Europe is possible, but even the. Only for a few years, tops.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Quote:
DW would never retire in Asia, central or South America. Europe is possible, but even the. Only for a few years, tops.
That's exactly how I feel. More likely is just stay there a few months a year. Depending on visas and world geo-political situation....10 YEARS from now, so who even knows.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:09 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

I know a lot of people that have retired in Thailand particularly but most are under 65 so they don't have access to Medicare. A couple of guys that I'm friends with live very inexpensively, get around on scooters, and live much like the locals except for some things....and I know I wouldn't want to live like that. Those guys would have to work to survive in the USA but have enough to get buy in Thailand.

A couple more of my friends have an excellent income and are retired comfortably in Thailand and for them, they can live a higher lifestyle in some ways than you could in the USA for the same spending, with some sacrifices.

If you were in Bangkok, you can use the skytrain and taxis and not have to use a scooter or car and get by. So there are options but of course, Bangkok is not a lot cheaper than some US cities.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:26 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I would look to rural US. Somewhere warm and rural, a place you can have a garden and some chickens. A private well. Wood and propane/electric heat. Close to a town with a Walmart and some good discount grocery stores. Maybe get to know a few people and pickup up job at a small store or something if you need it. Take a close look at taxes, i figure income tax isnt going to be your primary concern with your income being trimmed so much. Download some tax forms from the perspective state and get a rough idea of your taxes to make sure. Checking rental prices might be difficult without being there but you should be able to get a good idea from the local sunday paper online.

States I would look at

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah etc. Not all those are warm of course. I would probably start in south east texas, coastal areas and work my way up. A lot of nice small towns that you can get by comfortably in on 2000 a month (assuming you arent paying debts).
Some good advice here. I would also add Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia.

However, stay away from anything within 50 miles of the Gulf Coast. Hurricanes are nasty.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM

505 posts, read 716,666 times
I live comfortably in the upper Midwest for around 2k a month. actually, so far this year it is$1700 a month, which includes pro rated property taxes, health insurance and meds, I would personally rather live here than overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement