Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times

Advertisements

I just subscribe to the local paper. the regional and urban papers are not real relevant. Too focused on stuff that doesn't matter to us and are light on national and world news. I do like TV news as it is presented to me as opposed to me seeking it out.

Otherwise it's online stuff. The BBC, MSN, the AP, Google and Yahoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,504,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
The only time I watch TV news is to watch the local channels if something of strong local interest (or serious road condition reports) are on. I never watch national news because it is pointless - and that goes for CNN, Fox, MSNBC and the rest.
Sadly this.

I get a lot of my news from Reddit.

CNN/Fox/MSNBC/etc are more propaganda and political platforms than actual news now.

Seems like CNN and Fox News both like to try to convince weak-minded people how to think on political topics instead of just reporting what's happening in the world.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:16 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
Thanks, everyone. I guess I have to adapt to the times and not be a dinosaur. If the paper just isn't doing it for me, there seems to be almost no point in continuing (although I did like the idea of supporting the few investigative journalists they had---the Atlanta public school scandal would never have come to light without this).

Old 01-05-2016, 04:40 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I haven't gotten a newspaper in many many (20 or 30?) years. Years ago I used to get the Washington Post daily when I lived in MD. That soon went down to Sundays only. Then none. When I was still working I had CNN as my home page at work, so I would at least see the headlines every day. Now that I am retired I keep the TV on all day for company. If there's not a show I want to watch I usually have MSNBC or CNN playing in the background. I never watch local news because it's always about fires and shootings and bad car accidents.

The news industry has changed so much. All the providers today seem to give stories from other news outlets. They don't have their own correspondents all over the world like they used to. What I hate is when they go into what I call "reality tv mode" when some breaking story catches their fancy and they go for hours on end saying nothing, just waiting for the second shoe to drop.

I do like the political discussions -- it's great entertainment. But I miss hearing about what is happening in other parts of the world. Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I think we once knew more about the rest of the world than we do now.

Jazzcat, if you want to try the NY Times online, go for it. It doesn't have to be a lifetime committment. Try it for a month or 2.
ansible

I agree with you and I do similar though I am not retired yet. When I am off and not doing stuff around the house I will put news or even C-span on. I do have a link if anyone is interested in political news. www.realclearpolitics.com Yeah many of you already know it but for those who do not.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:02 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,758,941 times
I get a local paper that comes out biweekly mainly for coupons and ads. The local news is there but I usually get that first from a Facebook page that has all the local breaking news.

I watch CBS news every morning, I like Charlie Rose and they do around the world in 90 seconds in the first few minutes with snippets of the latest news. I watch the first half hour but may watch more depending on their guests. Today their medical consultant demonstrated how being able to get out of a seated position from the floor with no hands or one hand is a marker for longevity. I googled further and found a study from 2012 that showed those who couldn't do this in middle age were six times more likely to die prematurely than their more flexible, stronger counterparts. If I want more in depth stories, Google provides me with that. TV news is usually a springboard or inspiration to go deeper if I want.

So my news comes from a variety of sources and they compliment each other. Relying on one source would be very unbalanced and lopsided.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-05-2016 at 06:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,370,302 times
Twitter, then Wapo, NYT (on line for both) and I only turn on tv (MSNBC) if it's a catastrophic event. My husband reads the e-version of Boston Globe and we but the Sunday paper but all I use it for is my Sunday crossword puzzle and to clip coupons.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM

888 posts, read 890,406 times
I don't subscribe to our daily newspaper but I do read the front page, business and funeral notices sections of it daily via the internet. At this point in my life, my gag reflex acts up when I read most newspaper and internet articles with their slants. Personally, I've found that only sports scores and death notices/obituaries have the accuracy that I crave when reading newspaper content.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,800,616 times
I use the Play News Stand app from Google. You can choose what to subscribe to inside of it and I get the top stories from my various sources and get "Highlights" in one section and the common break downs (news, sports, tech, etc) in other sections. I choose what feeds I like and it suggests others I might enjoy based on which ones I read most. I also look at a local TV stations's main page for local news and I have a couple of the major network news sites book marked to see top breaking stories.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 4,206 times
I don't get paper newspapers due to the clutter. I started getting the WSJ on my iPad back in 2010 and have never lived looked back. I also read the Economist on iPad, get my local news from the local network affiliates, and read a lot from Drudge.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Where I used to live I looked forward to the excellent daily newspaper. Now, more out toward the Boston area, the small local newspapers are low on news and high on ads. The Boston Globe seems to be the only real newspaper out here but it's not relevant to where I live.

I used to enjoy CNN but it's not part of our cable package and I refuse to pay even more just to get it.

So my local news comes from New England cable news--which is just barely okay. It seizes upon a few stories and repeats them over and over and over, with an emphasis on car accidents and house fires. I combine that with BBC news to get more of a worldview but even that is based upon US news. There's a better BBC channel (which we can't get, of course) and I think it's BBC World.

Actually and this is worth a head smack, it appears that I get my news from city data. While cruising around on the different forums putting out fires, I often come across a news article--especially in Current Events. From there, I'll go to a relevant website if I want to read more about it.

I truly miss my old local newspaper but most of all I miss a big fat Sunday paper. You know, the kind that has all the different sections and if you have to share it with someone, you fight over who gets what. Then you sit around with it all day, drinking coffee, relaxing, taking your time with it, savoring it as one of life's true pleasures. (Now you've sparked my interest in seeing if I can get a north of Boston version of The Globe delivered here just on Sunday.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement