Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 07:45 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

We are expecting several "phantom increases" not related to taxes. First, we have enough equity in our home to pay cash in a less expensive area about 70 miles away, where the property taxes are also far less. We currently have two car payments, both will be paid off when we retire and still have only about 50,000 miles each, so no car payments. Naturally, we will also stop contributing to the 401K and 457s, reducing our expenses. We plan to work to full retirement age (66) and maybe longer, and will both have pensions as well as SS. Based on estimates (3-5 years from now) we could potentially end up with more spendable income than now, with only the minimum distribution from the 401/457.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 08:25 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Aha, 47% alert.
Yes, half the nation

Old 02-12-2016, 04:51 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I'm confused here about the term "phantom". If a lower tax load results in more disposable income that's not "phantom".

Old 02-12-2016, 05:40 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
I used "phantom" in the sense that the increased real income (net) appeared to come out of nowhere, as in "I make less than I did, and my living expenses have not changed, but I have $500 a month more in my checking account!", not in the sense that the income appeared to be there but really is not there. I can see where that could be confusing. Like people that count on the mortgage tax break to allow them to afford their home. Not a smart way to buy a house as that deduction may easily be outclassed by the increased unanticipated costs of ownership. In that case, the anticipated or calculated cost reduction disappeared like a phantom.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:25 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
To me taxes are just another expense when i calculate and no more a phantom income then led light bulbs saving on electric is to me.

It is just one of the expenses that went down while others went up

Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
That's the correct way to look at it. But I wondered how many underestimated the amount or didnt account for all deductions, or if because of other increases its a moot point.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:27 AM

253 posts, read 235,228 times
My summary numbers are in red below. The rest is just to emphasize that spending is very individual and a function of where you live, your health, your entertainment expenses, and your current situation (own house?).

2015 numbers - spending as % of pension and SS income
Taxes federal quarterly -4.96%
Federal Income Tax withheld -6.82%
Estimated state sales tax (Note these are still embedded in the spending below) -2.22%
Total taxes (without property tax) -14.01%

Petsmart and petco -0.76%
Stuff purchased -2.55%
Amazon stuff purchased -3.62%
Total stuff -6.93%

Insurance (Car house umbrella earthquake) -2.33%
Propery tax -3.36%
Yardwork -1.09%
House Maintenance -4.38%
Car Maintenance (and drivers licence renewals) -0.44%
Gasoline -0.25%
Total house and car -11.85%

Comcast -2.46%
Netflix -0.14%
Phones -0.28%
Utilities (minus comcast and phone) -3.98%
Total Utilities -6.85%

Groceries -13.50%
Restaurants -4.11%
ATM (mostly spent for food) -0.30%
Total food -17.91%

Medical and Dental Premiums (including Medicare) -12.65%
Prescription medicine -2.66%
Rite Aid, therapy, etc. -1.82%
Total medical (also has some non-medical rite-aid in it) -17.13%

Spending as % retirement SS & pensions -72.46%
Spending as % pre-retirement wage income -37%
One SS check deferred to age 70 with spousal benefit on-going

That is what I actually spent in 2015 (no budget). For the 1st 5 years we have had net savings each year averaging about 18% of retirement income per year. First couple of years cost the most since I moved across country leaving household goods, cars, and stuff behind. We have not spent any of our 401k type money but have paid taxes on some of it. Our taxes will increase substantially this year as my husband goes into RMD. We have no LTC insurance so savings will need to cover it, if needed. We also have no children.

Anyway, the answer to the original question is that I spend less than 40% of my pre-retirement income. This spending is not really different from what I actually spent in the last fifteen prior to retirement.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:39 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
That's the correct way to look at it. But I wondered how many underestimated the amount or didnt account for all deductions, or if because of other increases its a moot point.
It is simple balance sheet stuff. Some things generate more income and others cut expenses . While both improve cash flow and appear similar they are different.

Cutting expenses has a bottom , after which no more expenses can be cut. If expenses continue to rise there is nothing more you cut .Owning vs is renting is an example of cutting expenses.

Additional income adds to the revenue side and in theory has no limit.

That is why stocks get hammered when earnings are good but revenues miss. Profits can come from cost cutting only to a point . But income increasing can have the sky the limit

Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
To heck with "wishes and dream lists". We live in our own time and space now, and had the good sense to move to a state with lower COL. That has saved us a bundle. Property taxes before the move were $4K+ and now they are just shy of $800.

We both by-passed Medicare as a waste of money and time. I don't know why so many age 65ers think that because they are eligible, they "must" sign up. It isn't mandatory. You may be able to get a better deal elsewhere, and we have.

Children have "wishes and dream lists". Retirees have good times while dealing with reality.
Interesting, I thought people can't wait to get Medicare. How do you manage to find it cheaper than $104 a month. Do you mean you don't pay for part B? Because part A is free if you paid into the system. Am I wrong?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We both by-passed Medicare as a waste of money and time. I don't know why so many age 65ers think that because they are eligible, they "must" sign up. It isn't mandatory. You may be able to get a better deal elsewhere, and we have.
I don't think you can opt out of part A, but what kind of private insurance do you have (unless you are still working and have ins. through your employer) that would not require you to get part B?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement