Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:38 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
You've said this kind of thing so many times when things are suggested to you. "Something I really need to do"

Do you ever do any of it? Don't cry wolf if you aren't going to follow through.
It's an improvement. Better than the previous attacks on others who made suggestions she didn't like.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
NYgal: Do you have any Mindfulness programs in your area? I'm planning to take one this spring. I've heard good things about it. Also, perhaps your area has a support group for depression through Meetup? I found one where I live and its been helpful to be around people in similar situations. We meet once or twice a month for dinner at a restaurant. If anything it gets you out of the house for awhile and at least for me is nonthreatening and nonjudgmental.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:22 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,285,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I agree with you. But these same people have made a point to attack. Not just me, I've seen them do it to others. They seem to have a need to tear people down, maybe so they feel good about themselves?

Whatever. I do expect all sorts of replies. But as mentioned above, these few are ridiculous.
Why don't you just ignore them?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
rigizug[/b];43285292]NYgal: Do you have any Mindfulness programs in your area? I'm planning to take one this spring. I've heard good things about it. Also, perhaps your area has a support group for depression through Meetup? I found one where I live and its been helpful to be around people in similar situations. We meet once or twice a month for dinner at a restaurant. If anything it gets you out of the house for awhile and at least for me is nonthreatening and nonjudgmental.

I belong to a fun group in MeetUp. I enjoy our outings tho they seem to happen a lot in a bar (watch a local basketball team, play Trivia, etc.). Since this is winter and weather unpredictable, not much else going on with this group. When spring really gets here (it's almost here) I will check out the other groups that do outdoor activities.

I have Googled mindfulness and found many sites to look at..... that is a great suggestion, thank you.

There have been so many responses with depression being the main thing. I think there are many kinds of depression. And I tend to think I am of the situational depression variety. I do take meds, I do see a counselor.

Thanks again.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Why don't you just ignore them?

For the most part I do ignore them. When I'm in a low mood such as past few days, I look. Guess I hope they will rise above themselves. But I am usually wrong.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
You are awesome! Whereabouts in Colorado do you live?
Thank you for the most kind compliment. I don't feel especially awesome, but I do feel it important to attempt to get through the remainder of my years with as much grace and dignity as I can muster. I live in the one of the more remote places in the lower 48 - the Four Corners region - where Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona all meet. My home is in the middle of a rural area where farmers grow miles and miles of hay and alfalfa. I've got some of the most beautiful scenery you can imagine all around me. It would make more sense for me to move into the nearest town - 8 miles away - but the natural beauty all around helps me so much with my own depression, so here I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm not sure what age group you are in NYgal nor your fitness level. I've never suffered from depression but one of my besties has it. Her husband is facing a bone marrow transplant, was fired from his upper level management job, has one teen at home and one in medical school.

She is in the same rut. She applied for a minimum wage job and got it but has not worked yet. It took a couple of years of me trying to persuade her to get out of the house to get this far. She is not physically active because of a back injury and has gained a ton of weight because of her anti depressants. Talk about a rut

Do you have a good support group of friends? I'm hoping so because they can be your biggest help. I only had a taste of that rut one winter weekend when the weather was terrible and there wasn't anything to do. I sat on the sofa and watched TV all weekend. It made me wonder whether I had made the right decision to retire early.

I like the suggestions about getting a pet and a bike. I just did a 12 mile ride yesterday and may do another one today unless the weather cooperates and I can do a night ride instead. I'm not saying that you should do a 12 mile ride, but if you can get to that level of fitness to be able to do it, then the sky's the limit. Feeling good physically does a lot to change your out look.

You have to find the inner strength to push yourself out of that rut. It can start with baby steps and a walk around the block every day, then increase it to twice a day. You might need some structure in your life so I would try to do it at the same time every day.

Let's make a deal. I'll be your get up and move coach and support if you'll be my stop eating sugar coach. Maybe we can help each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
animalcrazy: Thank you for your wonderful post.

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I live in a senior (I'm almost 74) income-based apartment. Walking is really my choice of exercise. But I just need a kick in the pants to get out there and do it. Right now I'm dealing with a sinus thing or head cold and need time to get over it. If I'm still not good by tomorrow I'll see the doctor.

I do have a cat from the SPCA. She is a wonderful addition to my home. Very playful, very funny. She makes me laugh a lot. We are limited to one pet per apartment.

I have good friends, but like everyone else, they are engrossed in their own lives and problems. So getting support from them is minimal. I understand this and am not resentful. I believe in doing what I can to pull myself out of the rut, but found it nice to have a place (C-D) to see how others handle it.

I like the idea of helping each other! My doctor says I am pre-diabetic and exercise and weight loss are strongly recommended. So apparently I have a sugar issue, too.

Thank you for your suggestion, let's try it!
You know, I almost suggested that you get a kitten in my previous post. The summer before last, I had lost my wonderful little kitty to a great horned owl that swooped down and carried him away - my poor little Sylvester. True story - I saw it happen! Talk about feeling depressed. After a couple of months, I decided to go down to the local animal rescue to see if any kittens were up for adoption. Indeed there were, and I bonded right away with an adorable little marmalade kitten I named "Tigger." Oh, how she made me laugh - still does. I also like the idea of helping each other, if you guys wouldn't mind a third. I'm trying to cut out the sweets, as well as getting more exercise. I'm up to 3 miles a day walking now. Don't tell anyone and don't laugh - at least too much - but my goal is to get into good enough shape to hike to the top of near-by Lizard Head Mountain to celebrate my 65th birthday at the end of this September. It's a relatively easy hike - 10 miles round trip. I used to hike in the mountains all the time, and I miss it. Even if I don't achieve that particular goal, it gives me that extra little push to get out the door and hit the walking trail. Maybe we could all dm one another or start a special thread here about it?

PS I love the "ignore" feature - goodby Mr. or Ms. Negative/Mean poster. Wish there was a IRL equivalent!

Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 PM

^^^^ Colorado Rambler: I am all for that super idea. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading your post. We all need the support and the like-mindedness. The last thing any of us need are the mean-spirited posters. I think starting out with DM is perfect and I would be willing to share email address.

Animalcrazy: Are you "in"?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
I am usually a pretty upbeat person, but several winters back I became very blue for no obvious reason. I just happened to be due for my annual physical exam at that time and mentioned this blueness to my doctor. My doctor is not a fast draw prescription writer, so she decided to do a bunch of lab work including a Vitamin D level which if low can significantly impact mood. A week after my exam my doctor called to inform me that my Vitamin D level was critically low and she was going to prescribe a high dose of this vitamin for a few months then recheck the level. As crazy as this sounds shortly after taking the high dose Vitamin D my mood began to improve significantly as well as some knee pain I was having for a few years resolved. The high dose Vitamin D got my level up to low normal and now I take a maintenance dose daily. If I happen to forget to take the D for a few days I know right away.

My doctor told me that low D levels are almost epidemic in the northeast because we have limited skin exposure to direct sunlight during our long mostly grey winters and that is how we get the bulk of our D. You may want to ask your doctor to order a Vitamin D level on you, because if that is the cause of your low mood it is an easy relatively safe fix taking Vitamin D supplements.

Good Luck

Old 03-08-2016, 02:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
It is amazing the changes that take place when we help someone else. Check with senior organizations, perhaps just sitting with lonely elderly people..or just calling and checking on them. Call your senior agencies and see what volunteer openings fit your physical limitations. Believe me, when you volunteer to help others your own problems become less consuming.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Nightengale212: A few years ago my GYN ordered a blood test to check my vitamin D. I went through a similar thing, very low vitamin D and he prescribed high dose vitamin D. I don't recall how it affected my moods.

I am currently not taking any D but I will talk to my current doctor about it.

Thank you for that suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement