Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 11:04 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I live in a 55+ mobile home park in Lakeland which is between Orlando and Tampa. It's a city of about 100000 in population. If anyone is interested in cheaper options to retire this might help. Homes here in this park are older, but very well kept. Many are owned by Canadian Snowbirds. Alot of the homes are up for sale because of the devaluation of their currency. They are just losing to much money now and no longer want to keep a house in Fla. They are selling homes from $2000 to $6000. Many of these homes include the furnishings incl washer and dryer. These are single wide approx 56 ft in length with carport and Fla room and shed. Lot rent is under $400 per month, which is low for Florida. This is a good cheaper option to retire in Fla. A well maintained home for a really low price. This area is not a gay Mecca, not a big population of gay people in Lakeland. So for socializing that means a drive to St Pete. The St Pete area would be much more congested to live as well as higher cost. Lakeland is a close by cheaper alternative.
I can't imagine anyone I know who is gay opting for Lakeland over St Pete/Clearwater. Yes, it's more "congested" but also means you're around a lot more people who are far more likely to be in step with your identity than what is found in Lakeland....not to mention the socializing aspect. One can find a huge choice of economical options in Pinellas County (St Pete-Clearwater-Largo) in the 10K-25K range without having to face an hour's drive to LGBT bars/events.

Real Estate - 172 Homes For Sale | Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 121,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Thanks for the heads-up. This price level amazes me. Just checked Zillow and found several double wides in the $10K range. Is this park only for low-income seniors? $400/mo space rent doesn't seem unreasonable. Are there hefty HOA fees in addition?
Which parks are these with $10K homes? Are most 55+?
Seems good for a few months a year.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:40 PM

375 posts, read 609,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry08 View Post
Last night my search on that "Z" site brought up two double wides around $10K in Lakeland 55+ MH park. Not sure if it's same park as OP's. Since linking to a competitor site isn't allowed, I can't post links here, but if you send me a Direct Message, I'll give you the info.

Not sure why, but searching for same on Realtor.com didn't bring them up. Perhaps OP can supply name of park?

Old 03-27-2016, 07:02 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
They are all 55 and over that I'm referring to.. I'm guessing I can't list them on this website. Pulling up mobi!e home sales in Florida and listing Lakeland should pull them up.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:42 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
You two could pass that info via DM.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You two could pass that info via DM.
We have. Would encourage anyone interested in more info to contact OP via Direct Message. He's been very helpful.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Sent you a Direct Message with link to search site.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Lakeland isn't a bad place. I had an interview there last year and for a town its size not right on a major city I was fairly impressed.

Still, people go to FL to be close to the water, not to live inland, and I think that's what keeps prices reasonable. Living in FL can definitely be doable for most folks as long as you're willing to give up being on the water and drive when you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement