Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

The money they started receiving, if they got a monthly income from the home, would never last as long as your mother will likely live, and maybe not even your father. Then where will they live?

And if they get a lump sum payment, with their spending habits, it will be gone in no time. And then where will they live?

I am just picturing them ending up without money or their home, and moving in with you. Maybe you like that idea?

A good friend of mine's parents were terrible with money. They ended up losing their home and did move in with their daughter's family. The daughter and her hubby bought a huge house for them all. Very trying and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:35 PM

7,772 posts, read 6,378,272 times
Sell the house and downsize to a condo that they can buy for cash. Less upkeep, less expense.

If they take a reverse mortgage and then want to move they will have lost the equity in their house.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:53 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
I would sell the home and pay off all the debts. See what's left and get them into a small condo.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:45 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
The money they started receiving, if they got a monthly income from the home, would never last as long as your mother will likely live, and maybe not even your father. Then where will they live?

And if they get a lump sum payment, with their spending habits, it will be gone in no time. And then where will they live?

I am just picturing them ending up without money or their home, and moving in with you. Maybe you like that idea?

A good friend of mine's parents were terrible with money. They ended up losing their home and did move in with their daughter's family. The daughter and her hubby bought a huge house for them all. Very trying and expensive.
if you take yearly payments they take age 100 and subtract your age and then divide the projected money by that amount so the payments will last . the problem is that because of reverse compounding interest , fees and limitations on the loan it may be not nearly enough money off in the future because of inflation .

the house equity gets eaten up very quickly .

now what if you suddenly can't drive and the area has no public transportation system , or you are sick and want to be near family . you basically have no home and likely no money to move

Old 03-22-2016, 04:44 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
I don't know that much about it but I can see nothing advantageous with reverse mortgages.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:47 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
there are forms of reverse mortgages i do like . i like the reverse mortgages to purchase .

that is where you can buy a far more expensive home then you could typically do and put down a bit less then 1/2 and never make another mortgage payment again .

they don't do it for co-ops or i would take advantage and buy a co-op in a building i would love to be in but price wise it is way out of budget for us in retirement .

Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
OP, "pros and cons OF REVERSE MORTGAGES" would have been a better title, no?

I think reverse mortgages are great in certain circumstances, e.g. for a 75-year-old whose house is worth half a million and is paid off but whose social security isn't much. That person would likely get a decent amount each month until he/she dies (or moves).

I know some don't want their parents to get a reverse mortgage because they see the house as their inheritance. I say to he** with that, the parents should do whatever they need to do to be financially secure in their old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement