Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think you should tell them that (one or two, individually) to please not say that to you. There are many more terms of endearment or behaviors they can extend to you that would not cause you to feel old.
Sure! They could call him "Pop."

Either way, if it was me I wouldn't take umbrage at it. I've been called much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 02:32 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I think you should tell them that (one or two, individually) to please not say that to you. There are many more terms of endearment or behaviors they can extend to you that would not cause you to feel old.
Depends on how they use it. If they're standing around scratching their heads over a problem and say, "Let's take it to the old man, he'll know what to do," it's okay.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
When my doctors look like children.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,751 times
There re many reasons, yet the most salient one is I am old.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:10 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I am 68 and some old friends are starting to die. Those of us who hang in there like to compare notes to see who is worse off, and which remedies work best. We who have long term marriages are blessed to have support, and are blessed to provide support. We who have raised successful children are blessed too.
Basic truths are unchanged. Find a partner who you can support, and who will support you. Make friends who share your values. We are blessed with friends of 40+ years who have shared our journey.
If you have faith, it will make your life easier. If you start saving money early, and always live beneath your means, you will have a stress free old age.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
This really hits a nerve. I feel old because my knees hurt. And my legs around my knees hurt. I can't move like I think I should be able to. I've been working out--walking and doing exercises on Nautulis machines. But nothing really gives me lasting improvement.

I know I need to visit a doc for this, and I think I will need knee replacements. Oh, I don't want that. But when I don't know if I can climb up something or go down something, I hate how that feels. And then I feel old.

A good day for me is when my knees don't hurt.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:42 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This really hits a nerve. I feel old because my knees hurt. And my legs around my knees hurt. I can't move like I think I should be able to. I've been working out--walking and doing exercises on Nautulis machines. But nothing really gives me lasting improvement.

I know I need to visit a doc for this, and I think I will need knee replacements. Oh, I don't want that. But when I don't know if I can climb up something or go down something, I hate how that feels. And then I feel old.

A good day for me is when my knees don't hurt.
Have you tried tart cherry extract (get it from any vitamin department). Seriously, I found it beat the heck out of any otc pain reliever. In fact, four capsules a day absolutely eliminates my knee, lower back, and hip pain.

Actually, I experimented with eating 30-40 black cherries a day and discovered that works as well...but cherries aren't always in season and eating that many cherries is inconvenient.

Try tart cherry extract. Shouldn't take more than two or three days to see whether it works.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
At the age of 43, started needing reading glasses. Now, eyes are getting worse and the prescription has to be stronger. I will be 50 this year. Where did the last 25 years go??? Hate how time just seems to accelerate as you get older.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
silibran, I've been taking Advanced Instaflex for a month, and I think it is actually helping a little bit. The problem is that it costs $57 for only 30 pills. And you have to buy the Advanced Instaflex to get all the necessary ingredients.....the non-Advanced Instaflex is a bit cheaper but from reading reviews it may not be worth it compared to the Advanced.

Don't buy Advanced Instaflex at Instaflex.com....because they will continue to bill you monthly.

Buy instead from amazon.com or put "Advanced Instaflex" into google.com and see what other places are selling it. Then you can get the 14 pill sample or the 30 pills for a one-shot buy.

Thanks Ralph_Kirk for the tart cherry suggestion! I bought bottles of liquid tart cherry concentrate, but I did not find it convenient to take or stick to as a plan. I will try it in pill form.

silibran, I too need a full knee replacement. I've actually been waiting for full knee replacement to become available (probably in 2016) using Makoplasty. Right now Makoplasty offers partial knee replacement and full hip replacement, but not full knee replacement yet.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-23-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Have you tried tart cherry extract (get it from any vitamin department). Seriously, I found it beat the heck out of any otc pain reliever. In fact, four capsules a day absolutely eliminates my knee, lower back, and hip pain.

Actually, I experimented with eating 30-40 black cherries a day and discovered that works as well...but cherries aren't always in season and eating that many cherries is inconvenient.

Try tart cherry extract. Shouldn't take more than two or three days to see whether it works.
Multiple members of the family of a guy I know suffer from gout. When he started to have gout attacks when he was still rather young, someone told him to try cherry juice. He swears by it now. Drinks a whole bottle in a day if he feels the pain coming on. He insists it has to be pure cherry juice — no additives or sugar. It's available in places like Trader Joe's and Spouts. He says it keeps the uric acid from forming the crystals that cause gout pain. I never thought of trying it for other arthritic inflammation, but what would it hurt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement