Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,152,297 times

Advertisements

Tahiti...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM

863 posts, read 796,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The USA. WTF do people retire to Third World countries?
Considering that there are no 3rd world countries in Europe, South America or most of Asia, I don't think this is a problem.

However, if you were looking to the retirement mecca's of North Korea, Somalia, Libya or the like, then yes, I can understand that question.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:57 AM

7,460 posts, read 4,707,225 times
For those about to travel abroad or living already abroad, if you could please video the areas around you and post here via youtube. This would really be awesome for this thread as we get first hand accounts.

Or, if you find already an existing youtube video that mirrors your sentiments of the area you visited/live in, please post here.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:00 AM

I thought this is an interesting take on Southeast Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g88nOw4BhbA

Old 05-29-2016, 09:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
what i hear from retirees in europe and asia is that if you don't speak the native language of that country, life will be difficult unless you are a hermit or rich enough to have a personal servant/guide/translator at all times.

there are many older expats who bought a villa in italy or spain who came right back to the USA for this reason.. for them it's was like a vacation they overstayed.. and if you look at the real estate market in those areas, there are ALOT of listings, primarily by americans who were like, "oops". my mother's friend said in tuscany, you end up not having electricity often at night, the water is well water, they had to use their phone line to access the internet with a dial up 56k modem. it's rural. the brochure says "rustic", but it's damned rural..
How can you live someplace and not learn the language? Are they senile? I spent 2 months in Germany once and picked up enough just talking to people that I could carry on an elementary conversation. Most people only use about 600 words on a daily basis, so it's not like you have to memorize the dictionary. As for grammar, I figure it's their language, let them figure out what I am saying.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM

^I agree. I have a professor who studied for a PhD in Germany and came back quite conversant in German. The reason it is difficult to speak a foreign language is the absence of someone to engage it with on a daily basis. Once you are already in a foreign non-English speaking land, the only thing stopping you is yourself.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:02 AM

813 posts, read 1,134,596 times
This is a video of my neighborhood. The only problem is it as shot in the dead of winter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XyL2qSn_20

Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,973,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
So you think everywhere besides the US is a third world country?? Have you ever traveled outside the US?
Yep. I'm that ignorant.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 AM

16,115 posts, read 10,787,662 times
I'm quite happy where I am in the US (NM) but if I "win the lottery" I'd consider a 2nd home in Umbria, somewhere around Assisi and Perugia.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,214,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
^I agree. I have a professor who studied for a PhD in Germany and came back quite conversant in German. The reason it is difficult to speak a foreign language is the absence of someone to engage it with on a daily basis. Once you are already in a foreign non-English speaking land, the only thing stopping you is yourself.
Yup, totally lost the ability I had achieved in one language because later on I had no one to speak with, and reading wasn't enough.

I speak my present second language at an adequate level for daily life and simple conversations; but when I had a good friend who spoke the language my ability zoomed very quickly back to where it had been once before. But for me second languages are new skills easily lost, I have to keep at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement