Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 05:35 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times

Advertisements

I think the reverse mortgage was a good idea in theory but the greed of the lenders in the form of prohibitive fees has ruined the product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
There are some cases where a reverse mortgage can be a good move, regardless of the fees involved. if you are near retirement and your kids are doing well on their own and don't need your equity in your house, and your mortgage payments are keeping from being able to retire, it would be a good solution.

Let's say you have $100,000 equity in your house. You have several options available with a reverse mortgage that you don't have otherwise:

You can get a reverse mortgage, receiving a monthly amount for a fixed number of years.

You can get a reverse mortgage, receiving a smaller amount for the rest of your life.

You could sell the house and with the $100,000 in hand buy a new house worth over $180,000 with a reverse mortgage, thereby moving into a nicer house, or a smaller house in a better location, with no mortgage for as long as you, or your spouse are alive, as long as both are over 62. All you have to do is maintain the house, keep it insured and pay the RE taxes when due. You could even move from being near the water to owning a waterfront home.

With a reverse mortgage, you are not necessarily stuck living in that home. True, the equity you have in that home starts to dwindle and over time it will be down to zero, but a couple years after you begin the reverse mortgage you can still sell it and get back a portion of that equity. It's another choice you still have.

Most people who would take advantage of such options, don't even know they exist. In any living arrangement there are trade offs. You have to make the best choice out of all the options. For some people the best option is a reverse mortgage. To categorize all reverse mortgage situations as bad, ignores the possible situations that others people may be in.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
reverse mortgages and their success will be highly specific to individual situations .

they may be okay in a few hypothetical situations but i think if you look at the forums on them overall they are not working out as the takers thought . mostly because they are so costly and the way the payments are figured over your lifetime they are a lot smaller then folks hoped and many times fall short of what is needed in the end anyway .. it is like trying to be a little bit pregnant .

if you can't make ends meet because the house is not bringing in enough then you still fail financially . usually folks resort to these because they are hurting for cash .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-10-2016 at 07:42 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Husbandad View Post
$50,000 balance on home. Should they:

A. Refinance
B. Reverse mortgage

I want to keep the home as part of my real estate portfolio in the future for my son....income from rentals could cover mortgage for them and I could pay the house off myself in a year. Good idea?

Please share advantages and disadvantages.

Thx
If you could pay the house off in a year, I fail to see why you'd want to get any new loan at all. Just keep the current loan!

Old 06-10-2016, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
But, you will never owe more than the house is worth, so no matter how much the interest rate accumulates, you won't owe that amount unless the house is worth it.

And if it is worth it, then sell it. No need to worry about owing a huge amount ever. (what I have learned from a trusty loan officer).

Old 06-10-2016, 11:51 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
But, you will never owe more than the house is worth, so no matter how much the interest rate accumulates, you won't owe that amount unless the house is worth it.

And if it is worth it, then sell it. No need to worry about owing a huge amount ever. (what I have learned from a trusty loan officer).
It can still be a very bad deal. Just because you are not underwater doesn't mean it isn't a terrible waste to borrow a little and end up owing a lot more due to compounded interest and fees.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post

understand how these loans work .

you get about 1/2 the value of the house at the time you apply but the loans are capped at 150% of the full value of the house . so a 300k home could actually owe as much as 450k in accumulated fees and interest . that comes out of any appreciation you or heirs might see when the home is settled up . you won't have to pay anything extra but that capped amount will come out of appreciation if any . in the mean time you got 150k out of the whole deal and the lender takes up to 450k of the value if it appreciates .

you get 150k , they get 300k out of the 450k value , does that sound like a good deal ?

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-10-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-10-2016, 12:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Someone needs to sell or find a way to generate additional cash flow.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
If a reverse mortgage is the only source of funds you have to do what you have to do. Can't take a house with you and if anyone wants it they can start preparing to buy. In most cases at some point the house is going to get sold anyway so do what YOU need to do.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:03 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I agree that reverse mortgages are expensive, do not pay as much as many think they will, and are generally not for most people.

That said, I say if you are single, no concerns for leaving an estate, no intentions of selling and relocating, and need a few more bucks a month to be able to enjoy life, then a reverse mortgage could fit you and would be worth looking into.

I say over all not a good deal, but it could work for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement