Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,658,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Apparently they are a good choice for some people.

However older people tend to think they will age in place and never have to move. But life happens, and they have to be moved because of infirmities or accident. If you have little income, you might need the equity in the house for your expenses. But you will not be able to recover that equity, because you don't own the house any longer.

I would like to hear of cases where a reverse mortgage would be beneficial. The only one I can come up with would be someone facing death shortly, who can still live at home, and who needs money for medical care.
Anyone who needs to stretch their nest egg but wants to stay put in their home.

BTW, having a mortgage, reverse or traditional, does not mean you no longer own your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 02:19 PM

336 posts, read 581,374 times
I am considering a reverse mortgage. The biggest issue for me is that if for some reason you do not live in the home for over 12 months, the loan will be called. Who knows what will happen to me medically? There's no way to know, and I would hate to lose my home because of that situation. Please respond if you think differently.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:07 PM

6,612 posts, read 7,111,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I am considering a reverse mortgage. The biggest issue for me is that if for some reason you do not live in the home for over 12 months, the loan will be called. Who knows what will happen to me medically? There's no way to know, and I would hate to lose my home because of that situation. Please respond if you think differently.
I understand how you would feel and I would feel the same. I will tell you just because you had to go to rehab for more than a year that would not take away your residency or rights of residency. I think you are over thinking it.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,443,528 times
Run your cash flow the way a healthy company runs their cash flow.

All will be well.

Do it the way the dying or distressed companies do it, well, you may still win the gamble, but, chances are you will not win.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:04 PM

40,976 posts, read 49,312,419 times
All I can say is the people I've talked to who took out a RM really regret that decision.

Isn't there other options for you ?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,088,699 times
I don't regret it. If I want to leave I can sell the house, which, btw is appreciating more than the mortgage . Or I can leave it to my heirs if I die and they can sell it. Or if I am in a rehab center for a year, I would try to work with the mortgage co if I had a chance of coming back to the house. As the year progressed, I would decide what to do then.

The RM has given me peace of mind. I do not have increasing imortgage payments to worry about. I do pay the insurance, taxes and HOA as well as upkeep. I wanted to get out of Phoenix, the heat, and the environment and the RM allowed me to do so. I sold my other house which was way too big for me, and bought a smaller one with the RM. This is an opportunity for seniors to downsize and still have cash left over. I like it.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,259,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
All I can say is the people I've talked to who took out a RM really regret that decision.

Isn't there other options for you ?
My MIL took out a reverse mortgage on her condo after my FIL passed away back in 2007. Now a decade later, she still lives in the condo at close to 90 years old, and loves still having it. Stopping the mortgage payment was a major plus, the small monthly check is just a bonus.

She couldn't have stayed there without the reverse mortgage.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 AM

106,996 posts, read 109,264,794 times
the problem with reverse mortgages is reverse compounding interest ain't your friend so you better be sure your area has everything you may ever need .

many get burned by reverse mortgages when they can no longer drive and are in area's with no decent public transportation system .

or they get burned because they live so far from family that now they need assistance and want to move closer to family only they have no more equity or money left to do that .

Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM

7,209 posts, read 9,365,452 times
It's easy for retirees who are in perpetual denial to end up in a house that is falling apart.

A retired, reclusive couple down the street has a house that is 25 years old and has original paint, windows, roof, and deck. It's falling apart and is an eyesore. I think they would need to spend about $45K to complete the deferred maintenance. I'm not sure if they have a reverse mortgage, but if they do, they are trapped.

I don't know how the story will end, but I think not well.

A better idea is to make sure your house is up to date and paid off prior to retirement if you intend to stay there. An even better idea is to get rid of your excess stuff, sell the big house, and move to a smaller place before you get too old or debilitated.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 AM

106,996 posts, read 109,264,794 times
the bank can demand you repair the house . it is in all agreements .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement