Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Just about everyone I've ever seen shoots with one eye and closes the other. It doesn't matter if one of your eyes is very dominant, what matters is having your glasses close at hand if you need to use your gun for home defense in the middle of the night. My husband can't use both eyes at the same time for anything and he consistently shoots better than his coworkers who have normal vision. His target is always the one that's just got one ragged hole over the center, when everyone else has them spread out a little bit.

I read your other post about hand size and strength. I'd still suggest avoiding anything really small. It might feel better in your hand when you're not firing it, but some smaller guns have a much bigger kick to them. My daughters both learned to shoot when they were 9. My older daughter was an average-sized 9 year old and her hands were big enough that she learned to shoot with my usual gun, a 9mm Jericho 941. It's a pretty heavy gun, especially once you load it. It has almost no recoil at all and it's got a nice balance to it. She had no problems learning with that gun, and it's still her favorite of all the guns that we own. My younger daughter is short for her age and has small hands. I bought a M&P Shield and she learned to shoot with that gun. It's not as heavy and it doesn't hold as many rounds. I feel like it has more recoil, but she didn't feel like her hands were big enough to learn with the gun her sister had learned with.

About ranges, I don't like indoor ranges because I have trouble breathing in them, even the ones with the really fancy new ventilation systems. I like to go to outdoor ranges. It's best to put your hearing protection in or on before you get out of the car, and bring some hand wipes to clean up afterwards. Don't wear a low-cut shirt, especially if there are partitions between you and the other shooters, if you're shooting a semi-auto...if you're very unlucky, the empty casing will fly out and lodge in your cleavage and burn you. I still have a scar from that. Wear sturdy shoes too, no flip flops, because a lot of ranges don't have paved parking lots.

The best way to get used to handling a gun and aiming it is to practice with an airsoft gun in your garage. The spring-powered kind (as opposed to the ones that use compressed gas) are quiet enough to use without the neighbors calling the cops. You can get sticky targets that will trap most of the plastic pellets. Since you both want to learn, get two airsoft guns and two targets and make it into a contest. Do that for a while until you're hitting the target consistently, and then look for an instructor to teach you how to shoot a handgun.

And I'd recommend getting a dog to alert you if anyone breaks in...not a guard dog or an attack dog or anything like that, just a furry companion who will bark if there's someone outside your house who doesn't belong, and who will alert you a bit sooner than the sound of the door being kicked in or glass breaking, so you have time to grab your glasses and your gun. Train the dog well enough (not to potty in the wrong place or chew your stuff) so that he can sleep in the house, so that if anyone comes to the door in the night, they'll be able to tell there's a grumpy dog running around in the house. I think that's a really big deterrent.
Thank you for that good practical advice. Especially about the ranges. I appreciate it. If my husband and I are serious about this project (we keep going back and forth) - that is where we should start. At a range. To learn about using/handling firearms. It is something we might do even if we decide not to buy a gun now. Seems to me that knowing how to handle a gun is a useful skill to have.

Had never heard of an airsoft gun before. Took a look. And they look like the kind of thing that might get you shot by a police officer who thinks you have a real gun. Best to use them - like you say - in the privacy of your own home.

I can see how a dog would be a good idea. But it's not something we'd consider. For a variety of reasons (not the least of which is we don't generally like dogs). Note that no one can kick our doors in. They're "hurricane doors" - and open "out" - not "in". Same with breaking windows (our hurricane windows aren't made of glass). When I was gardening yesterday - I noticed that the lines for our home phone (we use Comcast) are encased in a locked box/metal sheathing on the side of the house. Can't be cut without digging up the line in the ground or messing with the cable box at the curb. We also have 2 cell phones that work inside the house. So we're ok on that score too. Our house is extremely secure IMO - and I have never not felt safe here. Robyn

Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Wasp Spray and The Autoloader vs. The Revolver

Wasp spray is neither safe nor effective. Used inside a home, it would poison pet birds, amphibians, reptiles, and fish. It's illegal to use it as a weapon in this country.

Wasp Spray for Self-Defense? : snopes.com

Oklahoma Personal Defense - The Myth of Wasp Spray

6 Reasons Why Wasp Spray is Not a Substitute for Pepper Spray - eXtension

Pepper spray is legal in most states, but find out first. It's obviously unsuitable to use in an occupied dwelling.
So much for that idea . OTOH - it is something we always have in the house.

Have to laugh at the bear stories. The place I am most likely to see a bear is - believe it or not - in my back yard (my hairdresser found one in hers!).

Bear at Jax Beach tranquilized, removed, released

Bear removed from tree behind Southside townhome

And - if I saw one there - I would go inside and call local critter control - not try to mess with the animal myself (with or without a gun). OTOH - I will go and shoo deer away if I see them (munching in my garden). Which is usually a once or twice a year event before I remember to put down Deer Scram in the spring. Deer are skittish. So it's easy to shoo them away. Good thing. Deer are big and could hurt you if they had a mind to. IOW - I don't need a gun for critter control.

Quote:
Several people have recommended that the newcomer to firearms should purchase an autoloader. Autoloaders require competence not just in shooting but in maintainance and dealing with malfunctions. The tyro encountering an autoloader will notice at least one and probably several levers or buttons whose functions aren't apparent. They all have a magazine latch of some sort in order to release the magazine for reloading. It may be a button on the side or a lever on the bottom. They do not all function the same way...

Those who purchase an autoloader must plan to spend time practicing all of the above. However, there is a way to avoid all of this: get a revolver...
Interesting points. Ease of use/maintenance versus "very zippy". I like the idea of having things that are easy to use and maintain - even though they may not have all the latest and greatest "bells and whistles". Because they're more apt in be in good working order all/most of the time compared to their "high maintenance" counterparts. It's why I don't have carbon steel knives in my knife drawer.

BTW - I think this thread has lots of useful information. Which is great IMO. And - at least in my case - this kind of information may well affect what my husband and I decide to do (when it comes to buying a gun - and if we do - what kind) much more than any philosophical/political points. And I will again thank everyone who has taken the time to write about the practical aspects of gun ownership/selection/training/maintenance and the like. All of these issues are a lot more complicated than I originally thought (many things are once you get past scratching the surface). And I am learning a lot. Robyn

Old 06-28-2016, 06:56 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
We did not see a bear on that Montana trip and I do believe your FL bear stories. My parents told me I saw one in Yellowstone when really young, but the only place I have seen one in the wild that I can actually remember was at Ginnie Springs.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 AM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Default Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
This information might have been useful 50 years ago, but is irrelevant today. No one serious about CCW or home defense considers using a revolver. And good luck with the speed loaders. You'll be reloading really early in the fight and reloading a revolver is a much more cumbersome procedure than swapping out magazines in a semi-automatic. Look at vicky3vicky's home invasion. At least three invaders. Do you really want to go up against that kind of threat with only six rounds? And make no mistake about it. You won't be counting rounds, so everyone will hear that "click" when you pull that trigger the seventh time. Then what? Speed loaders? Forget it. You won't have time. Better have your affairs in order. There is a reason why no law enforcement agency or any military organization uses a revolver anymore. They are totally inadequate in today's world. My primary defensive pistol is the Glock 23. I also carry two spare magazines. That's 40 rounds of .40 S&W I have available to me. That's much more comforting than six rounds. And I can get off 14 rounds before I need to swap magazines. Anyone serious about CCW and/or home defense needs to eliminate revolvers from the discussion immediately.
You are wrong. Elderly often cannot rack the slide on a semi-auto. My 63 year old wife can only rack a kel-tec P32. Glocks also limp-wrist jam for elderly with poor grip strength. Check: this is the retirement forum. Check the age of the OP.
As Jeff Cooper used to write, spray and pray buddy.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:03 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
personal self defense has different needs then law enforcement . for most civilians , especially the elderly or women a revolver is a better choice

Old 06-28-2016, 07:05 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Default Bear spray

Lol-- there is an actual bear spray!!

https://www.amazon.com/Udap-12HP-UDA.../dp/B001QGYH7Y

Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
personal self defense has different needs then law enforcement . for most civilians , especially the elderly or women a revolver is a better choice
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you mathjak, the average duffer isn't a combat vet, whatever firearm arm they have to defend themselves with will either deter the perp or you're in for the fight of your life. But if you get some decent training, you'd probably be more skilled with your weapon than the typical criminal.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Possibly the best would be a 20 gauge pump shotgun, with a reasonably short barrel.

For a handgun, the Ruger LCR revolvers in either .22 rimfire or 38 Special are easy to use, compact, not a lot of recoil.

If you like an autoloader, Beretta makes several .22 rimfire up to .380 ACP with a tip-up barrel that allows for loading without having to "rack" the slide.

You need to get out to a range and do some shooting to figure out what you like or not. Some ranges are attached to a gun store and will rent arms to you, allowing a try-out.

Really, taking some professional training would be a good first move. You are no more properly armed because you buy a pistol, than you are a musician because you buy a violin.
Excellent advice. I second the shotgun. Whatever you go with: KNOW YOUR FIREARM!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:38 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
early on my 686 revolver jammed when i applied to much lube to the ejector rod as a novice and it built up a layer of dirt from shooting and got behind the star at the back of the cylinder . the star on the rod stuck out away from the cylinder and would not allow the cylinder to rotate .

other then that , after thousands of rounds i never had a revolver not go bang .

my wife is a pretty experienced shooter and she has trouble at times racking the glocks . they are also very sensitive to jamming if you limp wrist it . not a good choice usually for women .
Glock is more finicky about the ammo that you use, which is what usually causes the jams. I've found that my G19 is more likely to jam with 115gr than 124gr. The G34 is also much more finicky about ammo. None of my other guns have that issue.

Personally, I don't like revolvers because they're messy compared to semi-auto, at least the ones I've shot. The best gun for anyone is the gun that they're willing to practice with often.

And I've heard about women not being able to rack the slide but that's difficult to imagine. If my kid could do it when she was 9 and not especially strong for a 9 year old, then I'd imagine most adult women would have the muscle to be able to rack a slide as long as the gun was properly maintained. My MIL acts like she can't do things like that but that's because she wants to seem delicate and fragile.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
You are wrong. Elderly often cannot rack the slide on a semi-auto. My 63 year old wife can only rack a kel-tec P32. Glocks also limp-wrist jam for elderly with poor grip strength. Check: this is the retirement forum. Check the age of the OP.
As Jeff Cooper used to write, spray and pray buddy.

Well, I'm a retiree and I'd never take my chances with a revolver and five or six rounds. If you can't rack a slide or if you're limp-wristing, then you have other issues and would probably benefit from physical fitness training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement