Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 02:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Retirement is what you make it. I've been starting to think about it myself although I have a number of years to go.

-Move away from the high cost city
-Buy a home on land that is ag-exempt (lower taxes)
-Buy my retirement home outright with cash - no mortgage to deal with
-Prepare for a 2nd career that is not as stressful as the one I have now.

So what I'm doing now is researching my points above, driving to various small towns and looking at real estate on the internet and looking over 2 year degrees at the community college.

If I want to live on lower income then I will have to plan for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Retirement is what you make it. I've been starting to think about it myself although I have a number of years to go.

So what I'm doing now is researching my points above, driving to various small towns and looking at real estate on the internet and looking over 2 year degrees at the community college.

It sounds to me like you have a great plan!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Well forest, it's a plan which looks good on paper. I hope it works out

Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 PM

156 posts, read 387,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Thanks for writing. I've been very frustrated with some of the "preaching" on here. I, too, think the most important thing is to live a good life, have some adventure, and hopefully help others as much as you can.

I moved around, I did some interesting exciting things, I had jobs at nonprofits (still do) where one doesn't make as much money, and I didn't settle down and think about retirement until maybe 10 years ago when I was 47. So, now, I have what I have to work with, but I am satisfied with my life the way I have lived it. I do not have regrets. And, I will figure out something in terms of living in semi-retirement, probably with my partner, or with friends.

Now, I feel a lot better. Thank you.
You're quite welcome Cousinal. Thank you for being the faithful voice of compassion. I'm sure many others notice too. You're never as alone as you think. The way you lived your life sounds good to me. Self satisfaction has always been an important consideration in my life too so I completely understand

Old 04-04-2008, 05:56 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Well forest, it's a plan which looks good on paper. I hope it works out
It should.

If you tilt your head a bit.

Quote:
Is not far from what I did.

I did get a pension, but it is only about equal to flipping burgers fulltime.

We did move to a rural area with really low taxes.

We did buy land that is 'tree-growth' [it is restricted to growing trees] for lower taxes.

We did buy with cash and have no mortgage to deal with.

We are now part-time seasonal farming which is career that is not as stressful as my previous career.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It should.

If you tilt your head a bit.

Is not far from what I did.

We did move to a rural area with really low taxes.

We did buy land that is 'tree-growth' [it is restricted to growing trees] for lower taxes.

We did buy with cash and have no mortgage to deal with.

We are now part-time seasonal farming which is career that is not as stressful as my previous career.
Forest..thank you so very much for your post. That just gave me the virtual pat on the back I needed to go forward. I too will have a small pension but want the cushion of some additional income.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I don't think that things have changed that much. There will always be people who go from middle class to lower middle class when they retire or even poverty level. Its just that now thery don't have much family to rely on like in the past. Besides too many are paying for their kids until they are in their late 20's. It has turned upside down from the past. Then there are people who made a solid middle class income who did not save much or anything and lived beyond their means.It's never been any different except for the family structure IMO.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:

Excellent plan. one supplemental thought: If you can select a second career that includes health care coverage, you will negate the biggest worry for people of retirement age. You can get by on less income from the second career if you don't have to worry about paying $85K cash for a week in the hospital.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

I promise I'm not trying to create a sour note, but it must be pointed out that many people exist wholly on only that.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
if you don't have to worry about paying $85K cash for a week in the hospital.
Did you just have to bring that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement