Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 10:59 AM

38 posts, read 48,912 times

Advertisements

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/09/u...ype=Multimedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 11:20 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
no sense in waiting. USA HC is not an option during ages 50 - 65, nor has it been since A(?)CA, and well before.

Deal with it by your own means.

1) keep working
2) move overseas
3) afford it (~$50k / yr at risk)
4) use medical tourism (as do 15m / yr, including MANY from national HC countries)
5) use a HC sharing network
6) be at risk (self insured)
7) Find a SO with HC insurance

Hopefully there will be more options in the future, but I am not PUTTING my life on hold WAITING to discover them.

YMMV

Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
And meanwhile the current proposal in Congress is opposed by all extremes and everyone in between - ranging from the Tea Party Patriots to MoveOn.

What's not to like!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:22 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I honestly doubt much will be done.

Democrats are going to oppose any changes, sensible or not, simply to spite the Republicans. People like Amash, Paul, and some libertarian and truly conservative politicians will oppose this bill from the right.

I'm in the "repeal and start over" camp, but if it ends up being these minor changes vs. nothing at all, I'll accept Ryan's plan and move on

Old 03-09-2017, 01:34 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I honestly doubt much will be done.

Democrats are going to oppose any changes, sensible or not, simply to spite the Republicans. People like Amash, Paul, and some libertarian and truly conservative politicians will oppose this bill from the right.

I'm in the "repeal and start over" camp, but if it ends up being these minor changes vs. nothing at all, I'll accept Ryan's plan and move on
Do you have employer provided insurance?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Ron Williams Former CEO of Aetna is on TV and said it's the right replacement plan to replace ACA. Good to hear.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:17 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Do you have employer provided insurance?
Yes, but I didn't back in 2013. I did buy coverage, but had something like a $5,000 deductible month with a $150/month premium on slightly under $21,000 in income that year. I had it, but could not afford medical treatment.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM

262 posts, read 307,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Ron Williams Former CEO of Aetna is on TV and said it's the right replacement plan to replace ACA. Good to hear.
And you trust insurance companies to have our best interests at heart?

Old 03-09-2017, 02:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
And you trust insurance companies to have our best interests at heart?
Read carefully, he is an Ex-CEO. I know there is a canned answer from the left. It's hard to reduce entitlement program. I know I would be mad too. But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age.
Last time I checked Home Depot and Costco both offer part time job with healthcare.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:56 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,976,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Read carefully, he is an Ex-CEO. I know there is a canned answer from the left. It's hard to reduce entitlement program. I know I would be mad too. But it's not a right to retire pre-Medicare age.
Last time I checked Home Depot and Costco both offer part time job with healthcare.
No, it is not a right to retire pre-Medicare age but I can tell you that employers these days don't seem to have a problem with forcing you out of the ranks when you may least expect it during those critical older years. Sometimes 'retirement' at that point (or at least saying you are 'semi-retired') isn't really so much a choice but a necessity despite all the financial hassles that may bring then, and in the future. Been there .. done that .. got through it luckily but it wasn't easy when my HC was costing me alone well over $1k a month for a ONCE A YEAR visit to the doctor for a prescription renewal.

And when there are large layoffs in highly skilled jobs ... people with many years of experience, etc. .. there are many fewer jobs to be had at places like HD and Costco . who cannot accommodate every laid off older worker .. and many places who may employ older people in part time jobs don't offer health insurance.

The hope is that the country will end up more prosperous and therefore layoffs will be less massive in the next few years so those workers can keep their jobs. I am not on the left but I do have a lot of sympathy for those who are affected by layoffs in the later years of their careers. That makes me want to see that at least HC(overage) is affordable for every legal citizen and that HC(are) is actually of good quality and available and affordable for all legal citizens whether or not one has insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement