Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

money never means much unless you don't have any

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-26-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 01:48 PM

260 posts, read 234,701 times
it is interesting to hear what fellow posters are doing in their potential or actual retirement years and their reasoning behind what they do.

I chose to retire at 66.5 from teaching at a private school because I was "burned out" after a troublesome year and I could afford to do so despite having been divorced the previous year.

My partner is still working FT and I am a restless spirit who cannot easily sit and relax in the day light hours! I need to be busy doing and planning and feeling competent I suppose!

Remember, I am talking about me and this is not an indictment of those who are satisfied with something different.

I subbed during the subsequent school year but not much and then this calendar year i was asked to return a few mornings a week. Now it would appear that I am returning with my own class five mornings a week for the next school year.

I shall move out from retirement at 68 with confidence knowing that I can stop anytime if it is too demanding of my time and energy.The money is useful for extras but that is not the prime motivator for me.

It is a hard but rewarding job and I had a good system going which will be a challenge to recreate.
My brain will be engaged again and that makes me happier.

So no offence intended as this is a personal anecdote, but retirement wasn't enough per se for me. I think that I am not good at it like some other posters are.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:55 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I am better than$100,000 than when I retired without working and will never need a handout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I retired after 34 years on a pittance at age 55 and now 84 and never worked since,did rehab some homes but no regrets.
Money is not important for one's well being
of course money is not important . you have money .

Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
The first paragraph, not as much. People should not dwell and stumt their life because they can nit get past all the negative. I see that everywhere. In that situation it is often difficult or impossible to focus on the "going right" part... because there may BE no "going right". For people that have horrible nobs or made poor choices, the only partmof their life that they enjoy may be drinking or taking drugs. Drink enough or smoke enough dope, and for a time period, you are released from the negative part of your life. It is a horrible and tragic waste, IMHO, but you can't talk any sense to people in that position. They refuse to see the downeard spiral they are in.
Yeah, and that's called "self medication". People who are addicts need to take responsibility for their addiction, and decide whether they've had sufficient pain that they're willing to do something about it. When the costs of addiction outweigh the pain, they will tend to be open to help (see: motivational interviewing).

And someone who's self medicating isn't in a position to think about career choices. He/she needs to take care of the dependency on booze/drugs first.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:19 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile From a mortgage broker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I'm 65 and I can easily see working until I'm 70, though I could have afforded to retire years ago. After appraising about 16,000 homes over the past 25 years, I can pretty much do it in my sleep. I can also control the orders I accept, so I can take days/weeks off without a problem. My business isn't really that much like work to me. As long as I can hobble around a house with a tape measure, I'll probably always do a couple a week.
Hey, Mike, I'm a mortgage broker in Florida and just got an appraisal from a guy who is 86. Probably takes orders when he feels like it and he did an AWESOME job for my client!!

PS - Not that you want to work that long but it's nice to see some do....

Old 03-26-2017, 05:31 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Hey, Mike, I'm a mortgage broker in Florida and just got an appraisal from a guy who is 86. Probably takes orders when he feels like it and he did an AWESOME job for my client!!

PS - Not that you want to work that long but it's nice to see some do....
As a Real Estate agent, I can see myself doing this also. There maybe a time when the big guy tells me to stop.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:55 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Yours sounds like an ideal situation and "the best of both worlds." Can you share why you believe 68-70 will be the right time to retire for you? Is this more of a financial decision or something else? (I mean, 'Why not 66 & 65 ... or 72-71?)
It's really an individual choice unique to all of us as individuals.

Until recently I always thought I would work to 70 and collect benefits at 70 but it was a video clip my daughter sent me of my three year old grand daughter at the park that caused me to decide August 4th, 2017 would be my last day of work.

Short clip only a grand parent would love where she dressed herself in pants to big, went to the park only to spend the day pulling her pants up mooning everyone. Everyone was laughing at her, funniest thing I have seen in a while and I don't want to miss things like this anymore. Poor little thing, just thinking about it makes me laugh.

We will live for a year on savings for a little over a year then collect ss when I am 70.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM

242 posts, read 231,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

Are you still waiting to retire in your late 60's - and, if so, does retirement still hold the same allure for you it did earlier in life? Or, if you retired 5-10+ years ago, have you found yourself wishing you had worked a little longer - to better improve your financial picture (or other)?

I'm with you. I retired at 59 1/2, thinking that I want to be young enough to fully enjoy my retirement while I am healthy and active. I can always take on a part-time job is the money gets tight. My mother died at 63 and that continues to remind me that there are no age guarantees in this life.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
I'll work until 67, which is my FRA.

If I come into a bit of money (via inheritance), I'll retire at 65.

If I win the lottery, I'll retire the next day.

Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Brother's Father In-Law was paper mill super with as many as over a thousand workers when they did logs, etc... as things wound down he was planning retirement...

Plant closed when he was 62 and he has spent the next 8 years as the only employee in the State dealing with regulators, security, dismantling, etc...

It was during the downturn so the decision was made not to sell until things picked up.

The new owners asked him to stay on at age 72 but he was not interested...

He really did enjoy the 8 years he drew a paycheck winding things down and it was never his plan... just worked out that way.

He still gets calls from the new owners and willing to do some consulting work as he knows the property inside and out... it was a big place with it's own locomotive and spur line, ocean going docks, private water system and even a co-generation power plant...

Sometimes plans change for the better...
Closing a plant is a very interesting job. And that was one heck of a plant, the way you described it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement