Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:14 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
plan prices vary by state . here in ny an f-plan is 288 a month . we use a high deductible f-plan with 2k deductible , it runs about 110 a month
Quite right. USAA kept us on our rates for Arizona when we moved to NC, which was to our benefit. When I (finally, eventually, God willing) enroll in a Medicare supplement, it will be with NC rates, which will be higher than it was in AZ. At the time he enrolled, we were not offered a plan with a deductible and with the low rates without one, I doubt it would have swayed me. However, no SilverSneakers.

I've read through this thread and see many people hitting the donut hole. I'm a picky medical consumer and an ex-accountant. Nickel and dime and analyze stuff to death, but always consider what my gut tells me (which often is the cheapest is NOT the best). We've been VERY happy with Canadadrugs.com If you DM me, I'll send a link for 20% off your first order.

Cost for Zetia with Plan D was over $700/mo retail from mail order, over $300 out of pocket. No generic available in the USA. Along with his other meds, this bumped us into donut hole land very quickly. (and yes, the stuff has worked on his cholesterol.)
Cost for Zetia generic from canadadrugs.com is about $90. Free shipping.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 04-13-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 02:17 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Medicare Part A is free. She's paying for Medicare Part B in addition to Medigap (Part B Supplement) Plan F.

And, yes, she should definitely look into the AARP/Walgreens Part D coverage.

At one time I was taking a drug that was extremely expensive here in the US so I had my script filled with a Canadian pharmacy. This was several years ago and I've recently read (on this forum) that some people have had trouble with foreign pharmacies so that's something you need to verify. Below is the link to the pharmacy I used:

https://www.canadadrugs.com/
Oops, yes I knew that but wrote it incorrectly. Her Part B is $110, Medigap is through AARP plan F.

Thank you for the info on Walgreens. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning and seeing how much her meds would be with them.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,447,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
...Thank you for the info on Walgreens. I plan on calling them tomorrow morning and seeing how much her meds would be with them.

Maybe Walgreens can tell you the prices through AARP/Walgreens but, if not, check with United Health Care (which actually provides the coverage).

I googled "AARP Walgreens Part D" and found a lot of sites. Below is one that seems fairly informative:
https://www.uhc.com/content/dam/uhcd...Fact-Sheet.pdf

And here is a site where you may be able to check on the costs of scripts through the AARP Walgreens coverage:
https://q1medicare.com/PartD-BrowseM...ign=fbtextlink

Last edited by TFW46; 04-13-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 03:27 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
My father was healthy at the age of 65, and saw his doctor once a year. Then he got hit by a taxi...

We just finished his taxes. His out of pocket medical costs for last year were almost $20,000, just for him. Medicare premiums, medication co-pays, and many things Medicare doesn't cover or caps (dental, hearing aids, vision, and some specialized medical supplies/treatments that Medicare doesn't cover but are medically necessary). He didn't have any hospitalizations.

So.... you never know for sure. Just tuck that away.
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is OK. Do you know if he had an supplemental coverage? That is the big thing for many of us, the ability to buy coverage that will limit your out of pocket regardless of the emergency.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:29 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
I'm still working, and was going to retire end of next month but will probably put it off until fall. Here are the numbers I have in my retirement monthly budget (I'm single):

Part B $105
Part G $143 (Cigna - $183 deductible)
Part D $28
Vision/Dental $30
Copays $10
Prescriptions $27
Total: #334/month

Which seems pretty much in line with what others are reporting.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 PM

810 posts, read 1,182,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Maybe Walgreens can tell you the prices through AARP/Walgreens but, if not, check with United Health Care (which actually provides the coverage).

I googled "AARP Walgreens Part D" and found a lot of sites. Below is one that seems fairly informative:
https://www.uhc.com/content/dam/uhcd...Fact-Sheet.pdf

And here is a site where you may be able to check on the costs of scripts through the AARP Walgreens coverage:
https://q1medicare.com/PartD-BrowseM...ign=fbtextlink
Thank you VERY much!!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,415,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm terribly sorry to hear about your dad, hope he is OK. Do you know if he had an supplemental coverage? That is the big thing for many of us, the ability to buy coverage that will limit your out of pocket regardless of the emergency.
That's kind of you. Thank you.

Yes, he has very good supplemental coverage from a prior employer. And still with that, he was out of pocket $20,000 last year.

The taxi broke his back, among other things, and he is paralyzed with many other serious problems for life.

Individuals with less common, and often severe medical problems/disabilities, quickly learn that there are many things that Medicare does not pay for, or that Medicare caps, or that Medicare will only pay for the basic/poor quality version rather than the one you need.

So you do without, or you pay.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:36 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Hearing aids (the good ones - $5k/ear) and durable equipment, just to mention a couple of items, can be costly. My sister, when employed, was using a sleep apnea machine covered by her employer insurance. When she went on Medicare, she got the Medicare-covered machine b/c Medicare "wouldn't pay for" the other.

She much prefers the other machine - but the cost is $3k. I told her to contact the supplier and ask if Medicare will pay for at least part of it. She can afford to pay the difference. I haven't heard back on what she's learned.

Also, she regularly reaches the donut hole on her drugs. Donut hole aside, last year, she had a one-off infection - only effective drug for her condition was $2k in the US through her Part D plan. Drug is manufactured in Turkey. So, she went through a Canadian pharmacy and paid $150 - and infection was eliminated.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,532,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Hearing aids (the good ones - $5k/ear) and durable equipment, just to mention a couple of items, can be costly.
Thank you, Ariadne22, for mentioning hearing aids, because it's a huge expense not covered by Medicare. Anyone know why not? This baffles me.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
teeth ,vision products and hearing aids don't count i guess .. we don't really need them . ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement