Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 03:25 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you get kindle you can increase the font size. The kindle costs up front, but you can borrow from the library.

What about nose plugs when you go to pool?

I do have a tablet on which I can put books from the library. Tablet is fairly new. All I need now is to remember to visit the library!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I do have a tablet on which I can put books from the library. Tablet is fairly new. All I need now is to remember to visit the library!!
Online from the convenience of your chair!

PS: Hope your library is better than ours. I think I have to go borrow my sis's account or something.

PPS: If you have Amazon Prime you can borrow books and magazines from them, lots of the classics are free.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Online from the convenience of your chair!

PS: Hope your library is better than ours. I think I have to go borrow my sis's account or something.

PPS: If you have Amazon Prime you can borrow books and magazines from them, lots of the classics are free.
That's right, I forgot I can do it all online from home! And I do have Amazon Prime so I'll be checking that out.

Thanks for the reminder and the suggestion!

Old 06-11-2017, 03:40 PM

306 posts, read 416,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
That's right, I forgot I can do it all online from home! And I do have Amazon Prime so I'll be checking that out.

Thanks for the reminder and the suggestion!
Amazon prime actually lets you have one book a month from a selection its pretty cool. Check out Kindle First. also if you don't get the Prime newsletter you may want to sign up for it, its pretty good, lets you know new videos and books available

Old 06-11-2017, 03:42 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Amazon prime actually lets you have one book a month from a selection its pretty cool. Check out Kindle First. also if you don't get the Prime newsletter you may want to sign up for it, its pretty good, lets you know new videos and books available
Newsletter?

/off to go sign-up
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2017, 03:47 PM

306 posts, read 416,514 times
Quote:
Newsletter?

/off to go sign-up
https://www.amazon.com/gp/gss/detail/45317690

Old 06-11-2017, 03:56 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
I am 63.5 and not yet retired.... and I am scheduled for a week's vacation in about two weeks.

I am not going ANYWHERE.

Staycation is where it's at. I don't have any projects planned - but I may start some.... and the thought up getting up and going/the hassle of travel to a vacation venue? Turns my stomach.

I won't be a recluse in retirement - but there's value in staying home and doing nothing.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:56 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I am nearing 68, not working myself, hubby has four more years before retiring. I love going out but also being at home. I fortunately live in a beautiful area where I don't really need to travel. I do not really enjoy air travel, and have never made any overseas trips. I do not enjoy being closed up for long, long hours on a plane, not to mention everything else that is involved. Once in awhile I enjoy an extended road trip and have made many around the country.

I am content to stay at home a lot. I ride my bike outside just about every day, and live near the coast so it is a beautiful ride. I also take dance classes and maybe do that two or three times per week. We go out to eat maybe once per week. Also have female friends that like to get together and dance once in awhile (my husband doesn't dance, but doesn't mind me doing it). There is a lot to do where I live if I want to do something, I do feel very fortunate in that regard. I don't go out nearly as much as most my age here do, however. I don't mind being mostly a homebody.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:03 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Mention was made about the travel "should I travel" and with me too, it's the wearing of it all just packing suitcase and getting to airport and then one knows what we go thru there. Since I unplugged cable, I can't go to NGO for my trips. While I had the cable for many years, I would so enjoy the programs on Alaska the Last Frontier. Maybe I'll get some decent channels once I get an antenna hookup and see what is there for me. No big deal anymore.

Many here are much younger and getting older makes everything harder to do.

On the parents/grandparents vacations, etc. These people lived thru and came out of the Great Depression...every penny counted. Brother can you lend me a dime.
My dad came from a farm, and he ran away and joined the Navy at 16 to get away from it. He made it a career until marriage and the war, and moved on into the infant world of aerospace. He even worked on all the Apollo flights. But he didn't get that gradually surrendering retirement where people can take themselves back from all those other idenities as his mind just ceased. Mom died first of an anuerism. What I took from this was choose to learn to look at life in a way that means you *look* for the good parts of even a not so great day and cherish the best parts.

Some of my generation ended up with good incomes and some of us didn't. That is me, from bad health. But I've learned to look at the day and see the good parts and hold to them. A few days ago I was dreading this last week. The yard needed cleaning up and the city was handing out notices. I was in one of my periodic funks when I just really want something new to happen, but just the same old same old, and the money had to be most carefully juggled this time.

But I decided I wasn't going to go into panic or depression over it. I wasn't going to expect problems.
The neighbor did a wonderful job of cleaning up the yard, best one yet. And the price wasn't bad. I got to think about what the house and the yard mean to me, especially that they are mine. And instead of obsessing over how it could go wrong, I just didn't obsess.

And it all went fine. The yard looks great. I paid more than they asked simply because they did so well. And it really felt good to get up and get something important done.

But before that, I had decided that I just wasn't going to let the worry/panic/doomsdaying have its moment.

I moved here, to a small house in a small town because it was small. I wanted the quiet. I don't fit in, but its not important. The place feels comfortable. Some place full of money really doesn't anymore.

I wonder how many people retire with a grandious idea of what they want, maybe knowing it is, but believing they have to. When it doesn't work, they think they've failed, but part of claiming your own power over the universe is to allow yourself to admit to yourself that so much of life is how you choose to see it. Choose to celebrate the small things and look realistically at the rest and remember that change is a gift which opens doors if you let them be.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
One thing in my favor is I traveled all over the world on business for 30 some odd years. I am happy to never see the inside of another airplane again in my life. My trips are now via car and not more then 4 hours away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement