Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 AM

294 posts, read 372,448 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is a website that lists countries around the world that offer a retirement visa and what the requirements are? Before I go researching every country individually, I figured I'd ask if this work had already been done for me. Even within just the EU, I know it ranges from countries that do not offer a retirement visa to something that require you be over a certain age with a certain income to some that do not care about your age as long as you have sufficient support.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
We live in Central Mexico (Lake Chapala) and have Residente Permanente visas (just like US green cards).

We first bought a home in MX in 2008.

Over these years, the immigration laws in MX have changed....many times! Fortunately, in favor of expats (no more annual renewals).

However, they may indeed change again.

There is no written resource that you seek that could be considered up-to-date....I see many websites on requirements for MX that I know are wrong/out of date.

Best advice: there are expat internet forums around the globe. Google for them, ask your questions there, where you will get current info. Also, since you mentioned the EU, you need to indicate your citizenship as EU member countries extends more liberal and mutual benefits to other EU countries. We looked into moving to Spain at one point, but because we are US citizens/passport holders, their visa requirements, health insurance regulations were not very appealing.

To start, you may want to go to Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Expats Living Abroad | ExpatForum.com

Old 08-18-2017, 06:16 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
Here's an article

https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs...rican-retirees

Old 08-18-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
This is from 2014....too old to be useful. Again, go to active forums where expats post on a regular basis. Also, go to the individual Country websites where they list what is needed, required. They are usually up to date. Do not rely on blanket blogs, especially those that are more than a few months old.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,734 times
I live in Peru and they have a retirement visa. It requires pension or SSI income of $1,000.00/mth and $500/mth for each dependent.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:19 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Yes, they change all the time. Ecuador's just did---as far as length of time to get residency visa.

Income: $800 a month for a couple verified. Or:

$25,000 investor's visa (like buying a home, or getting a bank CD)

Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

While we have Residente Permanentes (just like US green cards) many of my neighbors here at Lake Chapala live here on tourist visas. No income or asset tests. Because MX is so close to US, all it takes is a trip to the border every six months (well, 180 days to be precise).

Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,766 times
Thailand has retirement visa over age 50. Cambodia has a "business" license which is $300 a year and gets you an open one year visa. Malaysia has retirement visa as well, a bit on the expensive site.

The 10 year visa for Thailand is transferable. You can sell it.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Costa Rica and Panama welcome retirees, I would search the web. There are books available on the subject. Some can be gotten through "Where to Retire" magazine who have a website.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:00 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Does anyone know if there is a website that lists countries around the world that offer a retirement visa and what the requirements are? Before I go researching every country individually, I figured I'd ask if this work had already been done for me. Even within just the EU, I know it ranges from countries that do not offer a retirement visa to something that require you be over a certain age with a certain income to some that do not care about your age as long as you have sufficient support.

Thanks!

First off I have to speak up. They are not offering anything. Every country has immigration rules. Some are more restrictive than others. The more restrictive the longer it takes to get a permanent residency visa and the more money required. With enough time and money you could even emigrate to Russia and China.

The real key and the point you should be asking is what countries have easier requirements to show to get a residency visa in retirement? That question asked in Google came up with several sites. I picked one of the links here.

The World's 7 Most Retiree-Friendly Nations | HuffPost

Belize
Columbia
Ecuador
Malaysia
Nicaragua
Panama
Thailand

These are listed in the link above. The key here is how much income are you required to show? What form of income is acceptable? How long does it take to get that visa? Are there any other options you can do short of a permanent residency?

I can give you an answer on the last question. Most of the countries in the world allow for a 90 day visa. You can get an extension while in country most times by going to the immigration office of that country and request it due to extensive travel or some valid reason. You could also leave on a plane somewhere and return a day or so later. Many times that will start your clock over, but not every country. Some countries have restriction on how many 90 day visas you can get in a year. Also just leaving Germany for example and heading for France might not count. I haven't checked on that however each country does make its own rules.

The best way to decide where you want to retire is to pick a country and read the laws on visas. If it don't work out than pick another until you find the place for you. No list or website is going to be able to answer all of your questions with regard to life in your new country. You absolutely better go there multiple times to see if that new country is someplace you can see your future self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement