Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 01:34 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This is a great story! Thanks for sharing. And for pointing out that "life" can deal us a bad hand, despite our best efforts. I too, am SO sick of the repetitive mantra of "mistakes and bad decisions". Sure, there's some of that; there's also a lot of bad luck out there too. Or timing.

I'm so glad you found a good place with low COL, that works for You!!
I sometimes wonder if I am here this time around to make peace with some things. I had this great childhood, but then... It's rotten when you have dreams and try but they just aren't going to happen. But one thing I got out of this is enjoy now. I had a chance to go into systems programming once, very unusual for a woman then, and good recomendatiions, but I knew I couldn't handle the hours with the health issues that were getting worse. I really often wonder about if I'd tried. But I've thought about what ifs, but they don't take you anywhere.

It's funny how I found this house, in a small town in Oklahoma. I loved the tv show Jericho, and when I read about the planned convention in a spot near where it would be I had to go. Saved money, and took the train and it was awesome. I met people I knew from online too, and my friend told me about how and why they ended up in Oklahoma. By then, my apartment was getting impossible and I hoped I didn't come home with half of it missing.

I went home and started looking at houses there online, and found one for less than the typical down payment, and worked up the nerve to ask family for help. I even called a realator for information. Next convention I visited my friend and came home thinking about packing instead. I've been here nine years now, and its not perfection, but it is *home*, even if I still may not 'fit in'.

I didn't just wake up one day and decide to move to Oklahoma. I planned and looked at all sides but already knew I needed a new start. It was still possible that it was a mistake, and I might regret it as a bad decision, eventually, but the place I was was not getting any better.

It is scary to decide to change everything, and there's no guarentees, but then if you stay there aren't either, and the only person who can make your life better and happier is in the end YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
my regret is more situational than anything. I was transferred and it was to be my terminal assignment this was at the height of the market when I bought. I experienced the housing crash from which we are just now recovering nearly.

Looking back, I wish I had rented for a year and bought at the lowest price. Do you call that a regret? If so, that is a regret.

If no, then I have no major regrets. I did the best I could with what I knew at the time. On the whole things have turned out OK.

Most things are water off a duck's back to me, I don't tend to personalize or second guess myself on too much. some yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement