Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 PM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
would you invest in a mutual fund that had a 30% chance of losing a quarter million dollars of your net worth?
No and I don't have to. I have a paid off house just at the moment that is valued between 400k and 500k and in a state where housing values are stable. That is all I need with all of my other income if I need to put either DW or myself into care we can start with our own net assets and sell the house to pay off what is needed. I know you might not like that but I think our area where we live is an up and coming city. It has a very good reputation and I live very close to downtown and I have land and privacy. It is a 5 bedroom 3 bath house with a 2 car garage and finished basement with place there for a 4th bathroom. I know some will say that it is just as speculative but I do not think so in the market we live in. It is a very sought after area and is fairly easy commuting to Boston with the major road there being enlarged. Does my daughter want the house? Nope! I asked. So there you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:08 PM

236 posts, read 159,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
No and I don't have to. I have a paid off house just at the moment that is valued between 400k and 500k and in a state where housing values are stable. That is all I need with all of my other income if I need to put either DW or myself into care we can start with our own net assets and sell the house to pay off what is needed. I know you might not like that but I think our area where we live is an up and coming city. It has a very good reputation and I live very close to downtown and I have land and privacy. It is a 5 bedroom 3 bath house with a 2 car garage and finished basement with place there for a 4th bathroom. I know some will say that it is just as speculative but I do not think so in the market we live in. It is a very sought after area and is fairly easy commuting to Boston with the major road there being enlarged. Does my daughter want the house? Nope! I asked. So there you have it.
we have a communication gap.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:54 AM

216 posts, read 163,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Congratulations for having a plan. So many don't.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintail07 View Post
it's not unique.
that's the default "plan" for everyone:
"Liquidate assets starting with...."

Old 10-12-2017, 11:36 AM

6,595 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Thank you. My wife and I talked about it a lot. We went over the numbers and looked at the statistics. It was not something we took lightly.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Long term care insurance

Bought it when I was about 38 or so. Cost me around $650.00 per year.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:24 PM

216 posts, read 163,305 times
Whenever a prospect tells me they have a plan and they are comfortable with it I congratulate them and move on down the highway, I may not agree, but I respect their decision.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Whenever a prospect tells me they have a plan and they are comfortable with it I congratulate them and move on down the highway, I may not agree, but I respect their decision.
I didn't know you were "prospecting".

Old 10-12-2017, 07:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i was surcharged about 900 bucks a year for being prediabetic after having a blood test in the diabetic range previously
Diabetic care and the many complications that can accompany it are quite expensive....

Old 10-12-2017, 11:01 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,920,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCShop View Post
would you invest in a mutual fund that had a 30% chance of losing a quarter million dollars of your net worth?
I'm pretty sure I already have. The market was down 57% from the top in 2007 to the bottom in 2009 and I survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement