Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Okay, so turn about is fair play and I'm taking a variation on the other thread and asking this same question of the males here. I've been noticing the men who live in my apartment complex and noticed how many have let themselves go. I see some dressing shabbily, are overweight and, ahem, could use a bath a bit more than they probably indulge.

So what do you men here have to say about it? Are you keeping in shape? How are you maintaining yourselves or are you maintaining yourselves? Do you exercise, diet, wear nice cologne or aftershave, dress nicely? Have you given up?

If you've already responded in the other thread, feel free to respond again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:37 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
20 lbs lighter bodyweight, much better physical condition than when I left the workforce 8 yrs ago. No excuse to be fat since I have ample time to work out now.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Okay, so turn about is fair play and I'm taking a variation on the other thread and asking this same question of the males here. I've been noticing the men who live in my apartment complex and noticed how many have let themselves go. I see some dressing shabbily, are overweight and, ahem, could use a bath a bit more than they probably indulge.

So what do you men here have to say about it? Are you keeping in shape? How are you maintaining yourselves or are you maintaining yourselves? Do you exercise, diet, wear nice cologne or aftershave, dress nicely? Have you given up?

If you've already responded in the other thread, feel free to respond again.
I was on a bad road when I was in my early 40s. I ended up 40 lbs over weight and I was clearly headed for triple digits if I did not change. I was probably headed for early death.

I:
- cut out all sodas
- drastically cut back on red meat
- moderately cut back on carbs, and for carbs, shifted away from highly processed ones
- drastically cut back on alcohol
- tripled intake of veggies especially uncooked ones
- joined a gym
- started to do more short small errands on foot or bike (even lunchtime ones from work)

I can now proudly go full on "it came from the 80s" wearing actual stuff I bought 35 or more years ago. I routinely wear a belt I bought back in '81, during summer between Sr. Year and starting undergrad!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:08 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
My weight is down to 205, which isn't bad for a person that is 6'2". The problem is the distribution of that weight.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Also: men AND women, PLEASE skip the cologne, perfume, heavily scented deodorants, aftershave, etc. For many of us (and I will include myself), our sense of smell is not what it used to be and what we perceive as unscented or lightly scented often isn't. I was in line behind a woman probably 20 years my senior and the perfume was so strong it made my eyes water and I stepped out of line to stand in another line. I am sure she had no idea the scent was so strong.

And while this isn't a problem confined to us oldsters, I notice it much more in people my age and up. Particularly as EVERYTHING is scented this or that. I tend to buy "unscented" products and some of them are still heavily scented, often with a masking scent that is supposed to cover up something else.

When my father reached his mid-70s, his sense of smell deteriorated and I had to tell him (nicely and not directly) that he needed to shower more often and put away the scented things. Of course, the upshot of his loss of sense of smell almost meant eating and food lost a lot of appeal and I had to watch to be careful he ate enough well-rounded, relatively high calorie foods to keep his weight up.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
My husband ages well, still full head of hair and never ever overweight. He was a runner, now a walker. In fact, one of my brothers commented to another brother that my husband never changed. Good living does it.
However, I must say since he stopped running, he has a little belly, not much. But a few days windsurfing in Hawaii and his stomach has more muscle.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
I am disgusting to look at without a shirt on.

Male here - 73. I am about ten pounds or so overweight - (6'1" and 185 pounds). With clothes on I don't look bad, though. Otherwise my torso doesn't descend in a perfectly straight line like the torsos of normal people - that is, there are actually small rolls of flab visible around the middle. Disgusting to look at, of course, and quite inexcusable. I suffer from terminal laziness - I have no one to blame but myself.

But my grooming and hygiene are fine.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM

4,865 posts, read 2,674,972 times
I'm old and fat...screw it..

Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Ick. I will never let myself get fat. I hate seeing myself like that in the mirror. I made this decision when I was 12 (47 now) and I've stuck with it (despite far from perfect eating and exercise habits--although I've improved those in the last decade as well).

Old 08-24-2017, 06:00 PM

171 posts, read 94,554 times
During my working years one of the ways I dealt with stress was working out and have maintained it into retirement. It was never that difficult to partake mainly because I was always active in athletics as a youth through college.

Working out has many benefits in fact I was once told that I was an animal in the bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement