Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Most people who end up working a pt job after retiring from their full time one is because they NEED the money...plain and simple.Their retirement isn't going far enough.Those who get a pt job because they want to...great for them but most people end up getting a pt because of finances not being too good.
The chart in the OP's link shows a pretty equal percentage between the highest earners and the lowest earners..35% each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:48 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Most people who end up working a pt job after retiring from their full time one is because they NEED the money...plain and simple.Their retirement isn't going far enough.Those who get a pt job because they want to...great for them but most people end up getting a pt because of finances not being too good.
We all have opinions and can speculate. Do you have any facts to back up these claims?

Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We all have opinions and can speculate. Do you have any facts to back up these claims?
How about census data that shows that 70th percentile household net worth at age 65 is about $350K? If you don't have a pension and the only thing coming in is your Social Security check, it's pretty easy to run yourself out of money. It's not like the majority of the country has ever shown they have the ability to manage money.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The highest income quintiles are probably doing something they enjoy. The lowest keep schlepping along because they have to.
Or are bored? I did my first gig at the local school yesterday. I enjoyed it and will continue to take jobs that I like. Its subbing.

Helps the day go by. Sad - I know - lol. I just can't take off and do the things I want since I really can't be gone for days so might as well do this.

One lady did ask if I really needed the money since I was retired and received a pension. Hey - it feels good to get a real paycheck! A pension just isn't the same.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I guess that includes me, but it was my plan to find another full-time job after retiring from my previous employer at age 56 with over 35 years of seniority.

Done by planned design, not desperation, in my case.
I retired from my county job at age 52. Started working at a new job that same year. Reason being my plan was to fully retire at age 67.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Quote:
Many in the ranks of the retired are simply lost, not having any external directives to respond to--they often end up working at ANYTHING--just to be doing something. And yes, there are many who do need the money to round out a life of full time leisure, a costly status to be sure. Finding ways to entertain ourselves, whiling away the days in the pursuit of joyful activity, doesn't always cost money, but for many who think in terms of themselves being on a very long vacation--money doesn't go as far as they might think.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I had a good job when I retired. If I had wanted to continoue working, I wouldn’t have retired.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:49 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:

I totally buy this. I am constantly amazed at the numbers. The median net worth of people my age is like $200,000, including home equity. The average SS check is something like $1,300. Now how the Hell are you going to retire with these numbers?

Old 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not being able to grow in new areas.
Not having time for your personal goals.
Not being able to travel.

IMO, retirement is a time for new directions, new goals, new achievements.

Not for everyone. I've retired twice and have gone back to work both times, now I work 40 per, and love it. I have a shop where I build cars as a hobbyist, but you can only play with your toys so much.

I found my health deteriorating, my mental sharpness slipping, and I was bored as Hell. Not all of us dislike our jobs, for some of us it is stimulating and rewarding. I've known too many people who couldn't wait to retire, and a year later they were 6 feet under.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Not all of us do it for the money........they have to remind me it is payday. Yeah, I use some of it for my hobby, but I could survive very well without it. I know lots of people who work and don't need the money, in fact, I work with two other guys my age who do it for the enjoyment. Both are financially set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement