Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

FL is one of the last places I'd want to retire. It's too hot, most of the state is butt ugly and it's loaded with some of the dumbest people in the country. I went to college in FL and I don't understand why people like it. Different strokes... I guess.

Maybe it should have been "Most stereotypical place to spend your golden years".
While the ocean and beaches in Florida are a draw for me, the intense humidity and living in air conditioning for too many months to alleviate the intense humidity has kept me from pursuing it. I do love the ocean, beaches, and extensive numbers of seashells for seashell collecting on the gulf side around Naples, FL and Sanibel Island & Captiva. The hurricanes have also kept me from pursuing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 05:24 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Florida has hurricanes, incredibly expensive house insurance, lots of humidity, alligators, snakes, congested roads, awful tasting tap water and sinkholes.

What's not to like?
Heh; if you are from the Springs ... tap water from anywhere else will taste horrible! It’s literally; all downhill from here.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Hate articles like this. They don't fit everyone and assume all one retiree cares about is to have exactly the same things every other retiree does...and to pay the least for it. Personally I DESPISE Florida. Horrible weather, too many people, fairly predictable hurricanes, weird politics, businesses scrambling to take advantage of oldsters, ticky tacky "pseudo luxuries", the list goes on.
There is a LOT of truth to this. Old people don't react to hot temps as well as younger folks.

Florida politics (I heard the top experts in a panel recently) has ZERO to do with what is good for people. It's based on who pays off the legislators the most in the parties they give a couple weeks before the session.

Trusting the American medical system is dangerous. Trusting the Florida version is plain crazy - the entire system has one purpose (besides hurting and killing you)....and that is to bill you, insurance, medicare and medicaid as fraudulently as possible.

Picture florida as one giant vending machine designed to take all your money before you pass away.

To say nothing of your old friends...family.....are we talking about people with no children or grandchildren?

The weather is so hot and humid here from May to November that you cannot be outside in many cases.

Here is my advice. Get a condo or small Florida house. Live there 4-5 months a year, but keep your roots house

Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,841 times
A New England state in the summer, the remaining in a warmer climate!

Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
The state of contentment
You can live anywhere if you are happy with your life
And if you aren't no place is that great...

Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Poppycock. This looks like it was written by an intern in a cubicle with internet access to other articles written by interns in a cubicles. Absolutely useless. If you want to enjoy your retirement and plan on relocating, do your own research and decide what you want, what you can live with and what you can't. The places with the lowest cost of in-home health services also have the lowest life expectancy. I wonder why?

Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Florida has hurricanes, incredibly expensive house insurance, lots of humidity, alligators, snakes, congested roads, awful tasting tap water and sinkholes.

What's not to like?
It's the alligators that bother me the most!

Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
I'm old enough to remember when people thought lists like these were worth a damn.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:16 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
I really enjoyed visiting Florida, but I still remember the mosquitoes...when we camped in the Everglades, they were able to bite us THROUGH THE TENT! And, that was in the winter! So, I guess it would be fine if you stay indoors, which would make me crazy.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:08 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
I lived in Miami during the Mariella boatlift from Cuba...that was 35 years ago.

I would never go back for one reason.

The flying **** roaches.

Recall taking a whole can of bug spray to destroy a palmetto bug in my apartment. That sucker took it all and turned around and laughed at me. An old shoe was the only thing that made that monster go to the promised land.

When the War of the Worlds happens the only thing left is going to be Palmetto Bugs. I kid you not.

I cringe just thinking about them. EEEEWWWWW!
They didn't have them in Cuba? I remember being in vacation in Martinique, turned the bathroom light on one night and a roach the size of a mouse was on the wall. They also joined us in the outdoor disco, boogying across the dance floor.

I agree I'd be outta here too, but I (knock wood) have never had one in my condo, nor has my mother who lived here since 1997.

Otherwise, I am laughing at all the generalizations of Florida, like it's all the same everywhere you go. It's a big state -- 65K square miles -- and runs the gamut from your East coast "New Yawker" scene to the southwest Gulf coast with its majority of Midwesterners and yep, many hick towns inland. The person who said it's butt-ugly has never lived where I live, which is one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen and I've lived many places including Southern California. But it's OK, please continue trashing it, we don't need more people coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement