Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

This post, I imagine, will not be of interest to those of you who are well set in finances, etc. Maybe even married people.

I do not mean to insult anyone, but the haves and the have nots think a lot differently; the "nots" seem to have neat ideas on how to make things work. Probably not explaining this very well.

The only time I was a "have" was many years ago when I was married only I did not realize at that time that I truly was a have. And my ex was quite happy about that.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are people out there who have done this kind of thing without going into debt and finding what they want in a nice area without breaking the bank, so to speak.

So how did you do it? What lessons did you learn? Being on a fixed income you at least know what you have vs being a working person and maybe not having that information.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
I understand your problem, what's the question?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post

Re-read the last sentence. If you are in the same boat (low-budget) and would like to move, how did you do it?

Is that helpful?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:59 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
I don't think there is a simple answer. The best and cheapest way will depend on the amount of stuff and the distance. For a local move a Uhaul or similar rental is cheapest. I have done plenty of those moves and would not do one again unless I paid to have the truck loaded and unloaded.

For a modest amount of stuff and a long distance move, a POD might work. Assuming there are suitable places at the starting and final destinations, you can take your time loading and unloading yourself or with minimal help.

Regardless of the details, the more you can downsize in advance, the better. You need to plan on doing your own packing. It is very expensive to have stuff packed. You also need to find a source for suitable used boxes. New moving boxes are very expensive.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:05 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
I'd get free boxes from people who just moved and do as much of the work as possible myself.

Then I'd drive the truck to where I was going and unload it. I'd also downsize as much as possible and keep it all to a minimum. Moving items like a Fridge can cost more than buying a used one when I get there. Sell as much as possible and buy off offer up when you arrive.

I see young families do this all the time.

Labor is expensive if you hire others.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,391,598 times
First order of business is to have a job lined up and then do some homework on the internet re rentals, transportation etc.
The actual move may be cheapest renting a van or trailer form U-haul or similar and doing the labor yourself with a few friends/family members to help. I say 'may be' because sometimes selling all your furniture and household items and then starting over from scratch in you new locale is the way to go.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I think the question is: what's the solution to the problem

if you've decided on a place to move, one thing would be of course get rid of as much stuff as possible. Keep furniture to a minimum. You can replace it with thrift shop/flea market/craigslist finds. It may take a while but as long as you've got a bed to sleep on and a chair to sit in almost everything else can wait.

except appliances of course.

as for the move itself, rent a moving truck. Hopefully a van would be big enough. If you can drive yourself, have someone help load it at the 'from' location. Ask around before the move so you've got some help lined up at the 'to' location. what'd be great is if you can find someone to go with you maybe staying a few days as a vacation. Or maybe if you're both moving you can help each other.

can't think of anything else right now.

others probably will.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,465 times
I'd get some estimates from movers to get an idea of what the starting cost would be to move all your stuff.

Local moving is different then long distance moving and the costs are different as well.
You didn't say if your move is local or long distance.

You need a starting point of cost to determine if you can swing it or have to get rid of stuff.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM

2,020 posts, read 3,195,799 times
I would check out the "General Moving Issues" forum on this site. They have a lot of excellent suggestions and experiences. I'm thinking of moving in a few more years when I retire and that's where I'd go for info.

Good luck!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The distance makes a big difference. I just had a relative move about 3 hours away last summer, on a very low budget. He borrowed a truck from another relative, and along with me and my truck and some other volunteers moved all of the smaller stuff. The actual movers only took the biggest, heaviest furniture. It would have been even less to rent a UHaul but he wasn't comfortable about driving it that far. The biggest savings is labor, having friends and family that can't come up with an excuse to be busy that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement