Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Still feels like an at-home vacation. I have started the night shift detox routine, which is sleeping easily 12 or so hours (at night/morning) and dreaming. No work dreams! In my experience, this might go on for several weeks before I drop back on the sleeping.

Thanks to the wonderful sendoff from my coworkers and my job last week, I feel like the work time is wrapped up and put away. I am in touch with some coworkers and hope to see them before I move to Colorado. I was seeing each change as a lump to get through, and now the lump of saying goodbye to coworkers is over. The sendoff really was lovely, and mostly unexpected. I have forgotten about the actual work and just have to recover from the hours. I think it's fair to say it was my schedule but not my identity.

I realize that it was my community, and am glad I've had so much time to consider my move to Colorado. It really is the hope for a community to belong to, and that will take a lot of forward movement on my part. I look forward to being well rested for this. Have nailed down the day to leave with my dog transport friends- we will meet up celebrate my birthday (65!) and leave Massachusetts on April 18. I think it'll be about four days of driving. My house out there is almost finished and the builder will be sure to put in a fence for the dogs.

I am really liking being home and feeling rested. Every day I try to do a few things towards the move- make a phone call, change an account.I am waiting for a call that my new car has been negotiated and then am selling the old car to a coworker. Former coworker.

I am touched and amused by the anxious missives from former coworkers and a retired friend or two, as in, "How are you doing?" "You must start a schedue, take up an activity, don't watch TV." Etc. I just want to sleep and read (now able to concentrate because I'm sleeping at night). People think after 27 years of night shifts, I'll sleep a few nights and "be normal." No. It's a process and I'm glad I took this time before moving. And anyway, I'm moving 2200 miles in 10 weeks. I don't need to start a new life here.

I did get a three-month membership for the pool, to try and swim off some of the night stress. However, I did go up to NH and get a tattoo on Tuesday and found out I can't soak it for at least two weeks, so... I think two tattoos in 37 years is not excessive, eh?

Today the big plan is to go food shopping. I was relieved to arrange the moving company and they will be coming by next week to assess the move, will bring a dozen book boxes so I can start on that.

I have been watching PBS. Evenings are a revelation to me, since I was usually sleeping or trying to sleep before work in evenings. For those who suggest one has more time for interests already established, I suggest that some jobs (mine more than many) takes so much out of you that you might not have established interests or energy for same. I will reserve my worries of isolation/laziness for after my move, when it will be important for me to get out and do and meet. I do think I've chosen an excellent community and am glad I will be living right in town.

I note yet again that there are huge differences between retirement as "we" and as "me."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 10:49 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I suggest starting a blog.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I think the blog is a good idea. They have them here! Or you can start one on Wordpress for free.

Like you, I worked nights for decades. It does take time to adjust from the vampire shift. Sounds like you are doing well and I bet your dogs are loving having you at home and not being asleep all the time. It's an adjustment for them too!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I suggest starting a blog.
Are my posts too long/dull? Anyway, how does one start a blog, and why?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Au contraire! I suggested it because I LIKE your posts. When you have some time go read some popular blogs. Some people even make money and get free stuff if they have a lot of readers!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
I am not surprised about the time it will take to recover from the night shift. It is quite a fete that you lasted 27 years. I suspect you will not have time or interest in a lot of activities over the next few months. Moving and resettling are exhausting physically and mentally. It sounds like you are well prepared. Best of luck with this process!!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Au contraire! I suggested it because I LIKE your posts. When you have some time go read some popular blogs. Some people even make money and get free stuff if they have a lot of readers!
Thanks so much. But if it's OK with the group, I think I'll just post like everyone else.

I continue to tell total strangers *I'M RETIRED*. Not sure if it's the retirement or the actual sleeping so well that is exciting to me, but I had to do one to get the other.

Oh, and my work replacement already quit. There is no one to pick up nights. No wonder they'll miss me after 20 years of night money-grubbing!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
Quote:
I love your posts and they're not too long or dull to me. I'm inspired by your adventure. If you do start a blog, I'll be right there!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not surprised about the time it will take to recover from the night shift. It is quite a fete that you lasted 27 years. I suspect you will not have time or interest in a lot of activities over the next few months. Moving and resettling are exhausting physically and mentally. It sounds like you are well prepared. Best of luck with this process!!
Thanks so much.

Last night it was quite cold out and I made a lovely wood stove fire and watched PBS (don't have a recorder so have missed most/all TV for many years for sleeping evenings). I do feel/know that night shifts have put sort of a veil between me and experience, like I'm viewing my life and not living it. I am so glad to be finished with them.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much. But if it's OK with the group, I think I'll just post like everyone else.

I continue to tell total strangers *I'M RETIRED*. Not sure if it's the retirement or the actual sleeping so well that is exciting to me, but I had to do one to get the other.

Oh, and my work replacement already quit. There is no one to pick up nights. No wonder they'll miss me after 20 years of night money-grubbing!
Laughing!!!! Being retired is something to be proud of! And you keep right on posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement