Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times

Advertisements

Shingles at age 40. 6 weeks. Rash appeared on day 4. Crust peel at week 4-6. Post nerve irritation for ~15-20 years. Got the vaccine at age 60. Now 68 with other issues. Next booster is at 70.

It is very painful and I only had it at waist to inner thigh.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Seniors are a more vulnerable population for marketing to the shingles vaccination than the general population is for a potential Lyme, West Nile, or Zika vaccine. Not profitable.

You only have to compare the Flu vaccination rates of young adults to Seniors to see the difference. The biggest obstacle for Shingles vaccination (30% rates) is probably more a cost factor in the difference in flu and shingles vaccination rates. If it was made free under Part B Medicare like Flu Shots, the uptake probably would be much higher. However, to some of us that would not matter.
There is a Lyme vaccine. There was not enough interest in it so it is no longer manufactured. There is work on vaccines for West Nile and Zika.

Yes, price is an issue.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:29 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
I wonder if it ever occured to the poster that claimed shingles is “just” itchy skin because that’s how her husbands case evolved, that maybe it was less severe BECAUSE he had the vaccination? Many vaccines prevent OR reduce the outbreak. None of the many people I know that had shingles would EVER describe it as just itchy skin.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:36 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,194,492 times
I want to pop back in to report the side effects that I've experienced since taking the first dose of Shingrix 5 days ago. After the 2nd day, I initially thought the side effects were fairly mild and over. But the following 3 days did present more uncomfortable side effects that I didn't expect. Over the weekend I've experienced nausea, headache, generally flu-like symptoms of muscle/joint soreness, feeling of exhaustion, a feverish feeling and weird sleep patterns. None of these were serious or life-altering as I kept going to work and this last weekend, I still worked all day in the yard and did my weekend household chores. But I do want to warn that I did experience rather significant unpleasant intermittent side effects. So I'm not looking forward to the 2nd shot, but will do it because despite the side effects of the vaccine, it doesn't compare to the suffering of a full-blown shingles attack.

That said, I did some research on what causes the side effects and how Shingrix works. I found a very informative article that may interest those posting/reading this thread. Shingrix works by increasing the body's immune system which enables it to ward off the virus if it come out of dormancy. All these side effects are due to the immune system going into sudden overdrive.

You can read more about it here: https://www.precisionvaccinations.co...ore-antibodies

I still recommend the vaccine whole-heartedly because I believe in it's efficacy, and having had the disease, I'll put up with this discomfort rather than chance another outbreak. It's a little discomfort now to avoid HUGE discomfort later. But I want to be transparent in reporting the experience of the vaccine and be advised that there can be some pretty harsh side-effects for a week or so following the shot. Though I know others that have had it with practically no other side effects other that a sore arm at the injections site. Maybe I had a weakened immune system to begin with so the vaccine has had a more jarring initial effect than if my immune system were stronger. Who knows? Who can say why people react differently to various vaccines. This is the first one in which I've experienced any side effects other than a sore injection site. So yeah, it's been an interesting experience.

However, now that I know how I reacted to the 1st shot, I will plan for a few days of downtime with the 2nd shot and take it much easier. After that, I'm home free. Whew! This is definitely a "YMMV" situation.

Last edited by BijouBaby; 05-14-2018 at 06:46 AM..

Old 05-14-2018, 07:21 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
My wife and I both got the first Shingrix shots a month ago. She has Sjögren's syndrome, an immune system disease and her doctor said their was no issue with her getting it. Both of us experienced a little muscle soreness, some redness, and a little swelling. It really didn't hurt much at all unless I touched the injection site. After 3 or 4 days everything was fine.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
My wife and I both got the first Shingrix shots a month ago. She has Sjögren's syndrome, an immune system disease and her doctor said their was no issue with her getting it. Both of us experienced a little muscle soreness, some redness, and a little swelling. It really didn't hurt much at all unless I touched the injection site. After 3 or 4 days everything was fine.
Yes, after 5 days, I think the worst is over for me too. Not too bad, just a little unexpected.

How was your 2nd shot experience in relation to your 1st shot. Better? Worse?

Old 05-14-2018, 08:21 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
They couldn’t know yet. Must wait at least 2 and up to 6 months before 2nd injection.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
They couldn’t know yet. Must wait at least 2 and up to 6 months before 2nd injection.
Oh, right!

Well, anyone else who's had both shots want to say how they compared? Was one easier (less side effects) than the other? Both about the same? Do tell!

Also, I'm wondering why there's such a huge time variance for the 2nd shot. 2 to 6 months? At my first shot appt., the Walgreens pharmacist gave me a reminder card for exactly 2 months later for the 2nd shot. I mean, does it matter at all if I wait 6 months rather than 2? 4 months - that's a big time spread.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:36 AM

774 posts, read 1,049,553 times
We plan to go back sometime in July for the second shot

Old 05-14-2018, 06:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wonder how many here enthusiastically took Zostavax?

The point is that you don't know what is being peddled as a "cure" by the medical establishment that might turn out to be problematic or dangerous.

Now everyone is jumping on the new drug bandwagon.

I would say if you want to prevent shingles (or any other illness), tend to your immune system and be aware of how you are managing stress. There are a number of holistic reinforcements out there for any one interested in attaining and maintaining optimum health.

All manufactured pharmaceutical "cures" have toxic side effects - side effects are not just fine print that should be glossed over.
I enthusiastically took Zostavax as soon as it came out. I had shingles in my 40s, and it was not an experience I want to repeat in this lifetime.

I avoid "holistic" cures because they have so many dangerous toxic side effects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement