Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Have a full medical workup and ask get a referral to a cardiologist and neurologist.

It is not medically NORMAL for a man to tear up just because his wife entered a room and said good morning. It may be "normal" in a population of people with similar physical conditions which is part of the art and science of medicine. IE hormonal changes, mini strokes etc. Ruling in or out conditions based on various symptoms in conjunction with lab work etc.

I'd be RUNNING to the doctor to try and avoid a debilitating life changing physical event. YMMV.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-10-2018 at 05:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 05:59 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
The only time I have been uncontrollably weepy was after this last bout in the hospital for 11 days with pancreatitis. I came out so weak that I felt I would never feel better ever again. I was crying over commercials that weren't even sad and I'm not normally a crier.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:00 AM

723 posts, read 570,969 times
Wow - this!

"I think a lot of my own pain and even just tearfulness about things came from holding on to what cannot be held onto, and that wasted - fruitless - effort was/is just as much of a problem as those events I labeled "problem." Tenaciously not letting go was as much of a problem as the events and emotions that I seemed to be trying to turn into some chimera called "forever."

Old 02-10-2018, 06:24 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Do yourself a favor, if you flip channels and find yourself on Old Yeller keep on flipping.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:31 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Have a full medical workup and ask get a referral to a cardiologist and neurologist.

It is not medically NORMAL for a man to tear up just because his wife entered a room and said good morning. It may be "normal" in a population of people with similar physical conditions which is part of the art and science of medicine. IE hormonal changes, mini strokes etc. Ruling in or out conditions based on various symptoms in conjunction with lab work etc.

I'd be RUNNING to the doctor to try and avoid a debilitating life changing physical event. YMMV.
MMVAL. It is perfectly normal for hundreds of things to begin to become noticeable when a person advances into old age. If I ran to my doctor to tell him I've got hair growing inside my ears, I'd b e a wreck, and people who need medical care from my already overworked doctor might be unable to get a timely appointment.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:39 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
I think (no medical degree here) that it a change in hormones. Immediate suspect would be declining testorone but its probably more complicated than that. Maybe that and a some of this and less of that. Add to that the meds people take. I also wonder about hormones and other pharmaceuticals etc in our water supply. Everyone takes so many pills now days, and if they don't take them so many flush them. Teeny tiny amounts but who knows, in conjunction with hormone shifts along with age, or just the age.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM

11,127 posts, read 9,756,639 times
^^^ This is what I was thinking^^^. Declining T. Perfectly normal in an aging man.

I just asked my DH, he denied it, although I have certainly noticed him dabbing his eyes at the movies lately, for the first time in his life. After saying "no", he said "well maybe a little". Wants to keep up that manly front, but knows he's being caught in a fib!

Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
MMVAL. It is perfectly normal for hundreds of things to begin to become noticeable when a person advances into old age. If I ran to my doctor to tell him I've got hair growing inside my ears, I'd b e a wreck, and people who need medical care from my already overworked doctor might be unable to get a timely appointment.
I think so too - just changes in the body.

I hang out with people ten years older than me and I'm often astounded at how they react to what I see as "normal" aging processes.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:13 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think (no medical degree here) that it a change in hormones. Immediate suspect would be declining testorone but its probably more complicated than that. Maybe that and a some of this and less of that. Add to that the meds people take. I also wonder about hormones and other pharmaceuticals etc in our water supply. Everyone takes so many pills now days, and if they don't take them so many flush them. Teeny tiny amounts but who knows, in conjunction with hormone shifts along with age, or just the age.
That was my first thought as well. A hormone level change.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:20 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
I saw this happening to my dad in later years (80s). I think it's normal.

What gets me is certain music. We happened across several versions of national orchestras (You-Tube) from all over the world playing Star Trek theme music, and that is some of the most poignant (to us) music ever. We both teared up over those symphonies. Also a very moving one to me is the music played at Princess Diana's funeral---something like "Ode to Thee, my Country"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement