Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:55 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

For someone as low tech as myself (67 YO, 68 in April) who has no apps at all, no Smartphone yet, still cherishing my flip-up phone, I'm flustered at seeing all these grocery shop fliers in the mail today referring to digital coupons. ????

The clerk at Albertson's urged me to get the app for Albertson's, 3 months ago, as I'd be missing out on some great bargains. Haven't done it yet, don't even know how to tackle it.

Looking at Smith's weekly flyer, I see they've got digital coupons now as well. Will Wal-Mart be next?

I don't even shop at grocery stores that require cards, wont' shop there, sorry about that Smith's and Von's!

How about you? Are you getting the App's, or just ignoring it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:00 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
was using digital coupons probably 10 years ago, the kind you load to you card, online. Now I rarely shop those stores any more, I go to the discount grocers such as Grocery Outlet & they don't use a card.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
I use the loyalty cards because you get discounts with them. But the cost of a smart phone (needed to run apps) just to save $5 at the supermarket each week is not cost effective. I will ignore that kind of "progress."

Old 02-14-2018, 10:09 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
I can't believe there is still someone that doesn't use a card from the grocery store. What are you buying that you are afraid they are keeping track of?

I use digital coupons. Have for years.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:10 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I use the loyalty cards because you get discounts with them. But the cost of a smart phone (needed to run apps) just to save $5 at the supermarket each week is not cost effective. I will ignore that kind of "progress."
You can do it with your computer. I don't have a smart phone.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I can't believe there is still someone that doesn't use a card from the grocery store. What are you buying that you are afraid they are keeping track of?

I use digital coupons. Have for years.
Actually they do keep track on the loyalty cards. I had a phone call last year from my local market about a recall on some item I had bought and already eaten. Although that card also represents my membership in the co-op, so that might be where they made the connection and found my phone number.

As to any danger of them collecting info on me, I don't really care if they know what groceries I buy. Nothing to hide there.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
You can do it with your computer. I don't have a smart phone.
You must be referring to printing out the coupons to take to the store? I'm sure you aren't bringing your computer to the store so they can read the screen with their scanner.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:30 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You must be referring to printing out the coupons to take to the store? I'm sure you aren't bringing your computer to the store so they can read the screen with their scanner.
IF you have a loyalty card you can load the digital coupons to your card via your computer, no smart phone needed.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
IF you have a loyalty card you can load the digital coupons to your card via your computer, no smart phone needed.
Well that's new to me. I will have to look into it. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We are 65 and 64, and have smartphones with many apps, but I'm still working and a leasing system administrator as part of my manager duties in commercial real estate. i just don't like the bother of using digital coupons, but my wife uses them all the time. About all I will do is the ones for various restaurants, like "buy one meal get the second free" where you just call up the coupon on your phone and the server looks at it. The other convenience is tickets to sports and other events, and even air travel boarding passes, where they scan the code on the phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement