Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 08:12 PM

585 posts, read 635,217 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
2. Mild winter (a few snows a few inches at a time is ideal);
3. Not hot or humid summer;
4. Conservative (fiscally AND politically);
5. Reasonably priced housing;
6. Low cost of living;
7. Possible waterfront living available;
8. No weird bugs, snakes or crocs in lakes/rivers, etc.

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:25 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I'm not sure about political and fiscal conservativism, but Kentucky and West Virginia come to mind. Waterfront living is possible on rivers and lakes, otherwise, landlocked - no oceanfront.

Possibly Texas. Has rivers, lakes and Gulf of Mexico. Doesn't really have four distinct seasons except maybe in the panhandle.

I think North Dakota (or is it South Dakota?) has its own state bank, but the winters are probably harsher than you would prefer.

Probably any of the lower 'Bible Belt' states would work as far as weather and conservativism. New York and PA probably both have the four distinct seasons - not so sure about the conservatism.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:36 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,289,448 times
Greenville, SC. It’s the South, but has enough elevation that the summers aren’t overly oppressive. Also, it’s not the high desert, so there will be bugs.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 PM

284 posts, read 362,472 times
Well based on personal experience, I think you’ll have a hard time finding a “paradise” that checks every one of your boxes. 4 seasons and water is probably going to come with summertime heat and humidity. We actually had a similar list and ended up moving to a lake in East TN. Heat and humidity certainly exists, but it’s a relative thing having moved from the Deep South. Otherwise, this area checks most of your boxes. And no, there aren’t any large reptiles or snakes in our lakes, but I have seen a few gnarley looking bugs. Fortunately we have a large bird population and they keep the bugs in check. It’s not paradise, but it’s as close as we could find.

Also agree that the Greenville, SC area would be worth checking out.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Cumberland Plateau in TN.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:32 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
1. Four seasons;
6. Low cost of living;
North Idaho comes close.

Except that the winters are sometimes mild and sometimes moderate; rarely severe. Keep in mind that "Reasonably priced housing" and "Possible waterfront living available" don't go together very well, pretty much anywhere. Pick one or the other. It's rare that you will find both, (along with the other parameters on your list).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-18-2018, 03:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Can anyone give me some ideas for retirement areas that tick my boxes?

1. Four seasons;
6. Low cost of living;

I'm having a hard time finding places to go that might match this wish list.

Thanks!

EDJ
Richland & Wenatchee Washington.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:17 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
There don't seem to be any paradises in the U.S. due to hurricanes, tornadoes, toxic very polluted city air, polluted water, rough winters, excessive humidity. And some other factors.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:52 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I posted this location in another thread but it seems your criteria and mine are similar. This is Maysville KY. Low cost of living and home prices, good hospital, lots to do, on the Ohio River. Summer temps average about mid 80s and winter is not extreme but with some snow. Population is about 9000. It's cooler than TN and an hour away from Cincinnati. You can download this guide put out by the chamber of commerce. Of course there are going to be some bugs and snakes are found in every state. It tells you everything you need to know. With all that said, there will never be a paradise.
Country Living Magazine ranked it #5 of the 18 most charming towns in the U.S. and it's won several other awards for it's historical district and overall livability.

http://www.maysvillekentucky.com/fil...on%20Guide.pdf

Old 02-18-2018, 04:57 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Greenville, SC. It’s the South, but has enough elevation that the summers aren’t overly oppressive. Also, it’s not the high desert, so there will be bugs.
Extremely hot and humid in summer time. Terrible traffic problems. Nice area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement