Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 05:22 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I live on Topsail Island North Carolina and I would put in a word for this area and the beaches east and south of Wilmington. Wilmington is a short drive (45min) from here and has a fine university (UNCW) as well as Cape Fear Community College (where I have taken Art classes), museums, theatres, an excellent medical center, and many other resources. The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded and each has its own character. The water is much warmer than Delaware or Jersey because the Gulf stream is right off the coast. It takes off for England when it hits the outer banks.
Bada Bing to all you say. Wilmington area is great. We have a second home in Carolina Beach and are there right now. We like the area so much that we have affiliated with a CCRC in the area for future use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 06:26 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,935,459 times
But did you READ that other thread?

You won't find a [Liberal, OBVS] town with all that which is low COL.

And on top of that, you added "popular tourist destination" LOL

ETA: MY county meets most of that criteria but it's remaining top secret. We've reached our saturation level of people who move here then start complaining that it's isn't "enough" or it's "boring" or it's not "like back home". Or people from OHIO, complaining the beach is "filthy" when the see the seaweed - which is INTENTIONALLY left in tact for breeding turtles, despite the fact that we clearly have beach patrol cleaning the beaches and cleaning schedule signs posted and there is not one SPECK of trash anywhere...etc etc etc. AND we just won a law suit against the govt who tried to allow people to rent out their homes to tourists with no parameters.

ONE recent relo LITERALLY complained because our library didn't offer enough copies of the latest book just RELEASED and she didn't think she should have to go on a waiting list. This was on a thread about the quality of life here.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-08-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 AM

22,103 posts, read 13,106,304 times
I didn't specify "liberal." Just want/need stuff to do. I'll be a young and active retiree who's not ready to just stare at the waves all day. Not necessarily looking for a cheap property, but things like no taxation on private pensions or SS would be appealing to me. I'll want to travel part of the year, so the ability to rent out my property is important. Don't expect perfection in any one location, but am trying to decide which might best suit my needs.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
OP you still haven't provided us with any idea of what your budget is. Right now it could be anything from a trailer to a multi million dollar house. Any reason why you cannot say what type of property and price range?
I'm actually torn on the type of property. "Livin' the dream" is an oceanfront condo with a balcony overlooking the beach, but the more practical choice would be a tiny cottage or bungalow several blocks (but still walkable/bikeable) away. Budget is up to $350-400k for a prime location, although the cheaper, the better. If I can get it for around $100-150k, that would allow me to buy a similar property on another part of the coast or perhaps on an inland lake and alternate between them. Not sure I could live happily with condo fees or restrictive HOA regulations.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,274,368 times
Newport Rhode Island if just ok beaches will do. Less expensive are other beach neighborhoods in Rhode Island but Newport would be the most tourist preferred.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 AM

13,413 posts, read 28,784,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I live on Topsail Island North Carolina and I would put in a word for this area and the beaches east and south of Wilmington. Wilmington is a short drive (45min) from here and has a fine university (UNCW) as well as Cape Fear Community College (where I have taken Art classes), museums, theatres, an excellent medical center, and many other resources. The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded and each has its own character. The water is much warmer than Delaware or Jersey because the Gulf stream is right off the coast. It takes off for England when it hits the outer banks.
Agree Love this area, my goal is to get across the bridge to maybe Surf City

Old 03-08-2018, 08:29 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,363,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
But did you READ that other thread?

You won't find a [Liberal, OBVS] town with all that which is low COL.

And on top of that, you added "popular tourist destination" LOL
It depends on what you think is high COL vs low COL. My summer house is in the bluest of blue New England states. It's too far from the booming Boston job market to have high housing costs relative to the Boston 495 belt or NYC tri-state. I can walk to the beach or to the dinghy dock so I can get to my boat in the harbor. Not counting maintenance, my house costs about $6K per year between taxes, insurance, and utilities. Relative to where I've lived most of my high tech career, it's low COL.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM

795 posts, read 1,013,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm actually torn on the type of property. "Livin' the dream" is an oceanfront condo with a balcony overlooking the beach, but the more practical choice would be a tiny cottage or bungalow several blocks (but still walkable/bikeable) away. Budget is up to $350-400k for a prime location, although the cheaper, the better. If I can get it for around $100-150k, that would allow me to buy a similar property on another part of the coast or perhaps on an inland lake and alternate between them. Not sure I could live happily with condo fees or restrictive HOA regulations.
Good news is your price range is doable.

Last edited by lovnova; 03-08-2018 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 AM

I should add that I'm open to the entire east coast -- north and south -- and even the USVI. Just not the gulf coast.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:00 AM

569 posts, read 441,564 times
I love Oak Island. It gets tourists but still has a small beach town feel vs some of the others that are just for tourists. It is close to Southport and also a short drive to Wilmington for university and medical care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement