Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you primarily use for full body bathing?
shower 27 67.50%
bucket, sink, faucet, stream, lake or similar 2 5.00%
bathtub 8 20.00%
bathtub with transfer bench 2 5.00%
walk in bathtub for seniors / disabled 1 2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:28 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times

Advertisements

Replacing a tub with a shower (even a fiberglass one) will be in the $3 to $4K range. As it is a rental, few landlords would allow such. The simple answer is a transfer bench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 10:58 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most likely not. Fiberglass tub inlays are cheap. A true tile shower will run several grand
I paid over $7000 a couple of years ago to have a tub removed and replaced with a tiled shower. You also need to have another bathroom in the house while the construction is going on if you want to take a shower. Can take 1 to 2 weeks to get done.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
The main issue is that she's not very tall, and stepping over the tub height to middle of tub and back is a challenge. I'm thinking to convert the tub in my home to a step in shower as well, as though I'm quite agile enough, I don't like stepping over the high side and haven't used it for decades.

I had my full shower replaced and tiled a few years ago for less than $1500, and a fiberglass conversion should be less. A transfer bench would have it's own set of issues, and wouldn't work well for her. Thanks again for ideas. I'll try to keep this thread updated with progress.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post

The main issue is that she's not very tall, and stepping over the tub height to middle of tub and back is a challenge. I'm thinking to convert the tub in my home to a step in shower as well, as though I'm quite agile enough, I don't like stepping over the high side and haven't used it for decades.

I had my full shower replaced and tiled a few years ago for less than $1500, and a fiberglass conversion should be less. A transfer bench would have it's own set of issues, and wouldn't work well for her. Thanks again for ideas. I'll try to keep this thread updated with progress.
The point of the transfer bench is that one does NOT need to step over the tub height. Instead, one remains sitting and slides over the top of the bench and while sitting lifts one's legs over the height of the tub.

One never has to step over the height of the tub with a transfer bench.

One is never in a standing position with the transfer bench.

One washes oneself while sitting on the bench. One never stops sitting on the bench. One remains on the bench while washing oneself.

One never removes the bench from the tub during a bath or shower.

Much cheaper at walmart.com but here is pic with transfer bench in the tub.
https://www.healthnsupport.com/moen-...SABEgL8wPD_BwE

Last edited by matisse12; 04-22-2018 at 05:57 PM..

Old 04-22-2018, 06:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Moen transfer bench - available at Walmart.com, Amazon.com, and bedbathandbeyond.com. lowest cost at walmart.com

scroll down after clicking on link to see how transfer bench works.

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7105

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen_H...r_bench/DN7065

works really well! no need for a conversion. one sits outside the tub and slides over.

That is what I got when I came home from the hospital after my broken hip surgery. You are right! It worked great. Only cost me $60 which is a whole lot cheaper than trying to redo a bathtub to shower. I don't use it anymore, of course, but loaned it to a friend who also broke her hip. She uses it in a walk-in shower though just to be able to sit and shower.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
A transfer bench would have it's own set of issues, and wouldn't work well for her.
I can see how it might work for some people, but that's not what this thread is about.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:

Did you get permission from the landlord to go ahead with the remodel already?

Old 04-22-2018, 07:06 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
I can see how it might work for some people, but that's not what this thread is about.
The thread is about whether the landlord would do it, which is doubtful. What landlord is going to convert something to a shower that would likely cost way more than $1500 due to the labor and disposal costs with regards to getting rid of the old tub, only to have to put a tub back in again with the next tenant because no one in a one bedroom is going to want no bathtub unless it’s a fully ADA accessible unit? On the other hand, the transfer bench is a cheap modification that won’t stay with the unit when the friend leaves. It’s not very expensive and if it doesn’t work out, she’s out $150 or so instead of hundreds of dollars (if not more) in moving costs plus the extra rent she’ll have to pay for a two bedroom. Is there an ADA accessible unit available she can get?

Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 PM

We discussed her use of a transfer bench when I put in the grab bars, but she rightfully dismissed it as too awkward and dangerous, to which I agree 100 percent, and certainly wouldn't use one myself.

She's also doing step over exercises with the grab bar and elsewhere, which help quite a bit.

As mentioned previously, she needs and wants a walk in shower, either by conversion in her current apartment, which would need to be done by the landlord, or else by moving to a 2 bedroom apartment, which would probably be in a less desirable location / orientation.

Thanks much for the ideas about pursuing this with the various agencies.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
We discussed her use of a transfer bench when I put in the grab bars, but she rightfully dismissed it as too awkward and dangerous, to which I agree 100 percent, and certainly wouldn't use one myself.

She's also doing step over exercises with the grab bar and elsewhere, which help quite a bit.

As mentioned previously, she needs and wants a walk in shower, either by conversion in her current apartment, which would need to be done by the landlord, or else by moving to a 2 bedroom apartment, which would probably be in a less desirable location / orientation.

Thanks much for the ideas about pursuing this with the various agencies.
Better plan on moving, then. As a LL, I'll tell you removing the tub/shower combo is not something many, if any would allow. That's not even a good idea when it comes to resale on a private house.
Not unless you would pay to have it redone when the time came.
As far as any ADA help, a LL only has to make "reasonable" accommodations.That is not one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement