Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do Your Kids Celebrate Mother's Day for You?
Card in the mail 2 3.33%
Send flowers 1 1.67%
Take you out to lunch/present gift 20 33.33%
Text or call 16 26.67%
Nothing 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,914,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just curious if those with kids already have plans for Mother's Day, or do you just wait and see what your kids might do to celebrate it?

Nothing, which is not unusual. I'll be working. Both daughters will be in Phoenix with younger daughters son and DIL for a Diamondbacks game. I never expect anything, or even care really, so it's no big deal. I always did something for my mom though and I miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,762,449 times
We sent cards to both our Moms and will call them. My DIL and I are being served breakfast prepared by our son and the grandkids, DH is in charge of Mimosas and entertaining the grandkids (NOT with the Mimosas).

The grandkids decorated cards for their Mom after school at our house today. The younger one wrote “to Mom” on his card and his older sister said we don’t call her Mom, we call her Mommy! She was pretty indignant about it. I realized the problem and asked the five year old if he knew how to spell Mommy. He didn’t, so we fixed that and made his sister happy.

They also taped together four sheets of paper and wrote Happy Mother’s Day Great Grandma in big letters and then drew flowers and hearts all around the letters. There was also a picture of a plane and school bus stuck in there that exasperated the older sister. I had the grandkids stand together holding it in front of themselves and took a picture. I posted it on my MIL’s Facebook page for her and texted it to my sister so she can show it to our Mom when she visits her in the memory care unit.

We don’t make a huge deal out of Mother’s Day, but we do celebrate and honor the Moms.

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-10-2018 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 10:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,540,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
We dont celebrate it. Just another Hallmark moment that feeds the flower cos and card cos.
^^^ My husband & sons are well aware of my opinion that it's a "hallmark holiday" and my wish that they ignore it. DH feels the same about father's day.
My oldest son will receive his MFA (master's degree) this weekend and THAT's a big deal! As it was when I did the same 30 years ago. We'll be celebrating that. As far as we're concerned, this weekend is all about him. It only happens once. The cherry on top is that he's moving on to a doctoral program and we'll celebrate that 4 years from now!

Old 05-11-2018, 05:24 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
Four grown stepkids, nothing. Their dad, when he was alive, also got nothing. He used to joke on Father's Day, I better stay close to the phone in case I get a call from my kids. Never did.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:50 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,495,892 times
Absolutely Nothing.

Both my mother and my MIL passed away in 2003 and 2013.

Oh, wait, we are taking flowers to both grave sites, I guess that's something.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 10,285,807 times
I'm not a mom, but my fur babies will usually get me a card and some candy or flowers! They do the same for their dad. They are so good and thoughtful - lol.

We always did stuff for mom and dad. They are both gone and we will go out to visit the gravesite.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM

136 posts, read 136,187 times
Noooo! It's not a real holiday. Mother's Day, nor any of the other contrived [fill in the blank] Days have ever been recognized nor "celebrated" in our family. We also keep celebrations of personal events like birthdays and anniversaries private and limited to immediate family and a very close circle of friends. But I guess that's a different discussion.

When our now 42 year old son was very young (4 or 5 years old) this gave rise to a conversation when he first became aware of it. I explained that since we love and respect Mom, and treat her that way every day, we don't need a specific day to demonstrate it to her. In our house every day is Mother's Day. He understood completely and moved on.

He'll call her on Sunday, but Mother's Day won't be mentioned. He calls her every Sunday afternoon when his family gets home from Mass and lunch.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:14 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,006,908 times
My two kids who live far away will probably text or call, or maybe send a card, or maybe a combination of the above. My one local daughter, and my granddaughter, will be on a cruise so not available for lunch, etc. However, yesterday was my birthday, and my daughter, SIL, and granddaughter took me out for lunch. They also gave me a card for Mother's Day, with instructions not to open it until Sunday.

As for my own mother, who is 95 and living in an assisted living facility about a thousand miles away from me, I sent her a Mother's Day card. I may be able to have a brief phone conversation with her, although she can barely hear, and she may not remember who I am anyway. My brother and my sister, who live near to her, will be going to visit her on Sunday and have lunch with her in her facility.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,564,097 times
So as usual I'm the outliner in the group. I like mother's day, yes it's a made up holiday but if you get right down to it, all of them are. I don't see why celebrating the birth of a nation is anymore important to my birthing my kids.

My youngest son graduated this week from Temple, and while I am extremely proud of him, I have no problems with the kid forking over 30 bucks to take me to breakfast. 4 years of college, no college loans, yeah I would not mind a "thank you" on a special day.

I'm a church goer so we'll definitely do church. Now do I need a specific day? well do we need a specific day to celebrate Memorial day, Labor day? and if you want to talk about a holiday that has been commercialized and "hallmark", you need look no further than Christmas, the holiday that now begins in August. talk about a phoney holiday. lol

And here's the thing most families DONT appreciate each other in your day to day lives. We rush around from pillar to post without even realizing life. Then we take a 1 or 2 week vacation and call it "family" time

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 05-11-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 AM

997 posts, read 711,325 times
There is so much pressure and media blitz on women to have a Happy Mothers Day. It can be interpreted that your life seems lacking if you have no acknowledgement or "plans" or even have no children. The media hype surrounding certain holidays gets on my nerves. Valentines Day is another one that is ridiculous. Not everybody has a happy family like on TV! I do understand it has to be covered that way for the masses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement