Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do Your Kids Celebrate Mother's Day for You?
Card in the mail 2 3.33%
Send flowers 1 1.67%
Take you out to lunch/present gift 20 33.33%
Text or call 16 26.67%
Nothing 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,810,243 times

Advertisements

This year, I am choosing "Nothing"

But next year I am thinking of doing something. Since my Mother died in 2006. I am betting some "Mother" has had a child die before she did. So I may very well "Adopt" a Mother for that day. Nice lunch or dinner, flowers and yes a "Mother's Day" card (Hey she is STILL a Mother)

When she was alive, she always said "Don't make a fuss" I always sent her flowers and included the "Bird of Paradise" as she always loved those, but she'd complain I spent too much. Didn't care, I know she was thrilled to get them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 11:20 AM

35,139 posts, read 31,445,911 times
We're supposed to take one of my grandmothers out tomorrow. I'm going to get mom some donuts from a specialty bakery and some car wash gift cards. I may go see the other set of grandparents this evening. The weather is supposed to be excellent this weekend and I'd like to go swimming.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,380,979 times
My husband and I will do what we do every Mothers Day, take a long ride to a seacoast area and have a nice lunch and a walk. My grandkids and my son will find me via text. I don't stay home and wait for anyone to make my day. Same plan for Father's Day only involving antique cars.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
This year, I am choosing "Nothing"

But next year I am thinking of doing something. Since my Mother died in 2006. I am betting some "Mother" has had a child die before she did. So I may very well "Adopt" a Mother for that day. Nice lunch or dinner, flowers and yes a "Mother's Day" card (Hey she is STILL a Mother)

When she was alive, she always said "Don't make a fuss" I always sent her flowers and included the "Bird of Paradise" as she always loved those, but she'd complain I spent too much. Didn't care, I know she was thrilled to get them...
I don’t have a mother living and I am not a mother so I wasn’t going to post here. Then I saw your post. I think “Adopt A Mother” is a great idea. I’m going to ask around my senior complex and see if I can find another mother who maybe has kids who are too far away to visit and who at our age will no longer have a mom.

We can adopt each other and go out to eat just for fun. Maybe it will help someone who can’t be with her kids feel a little better about it.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,382,752 times
My daughter was so happy with a gift she found that she thought I'd like that she gave it to me last week as a mothers day gift . I'll probably hear from my son (he lives on the other coast). I have no plans for the day.

Old 05-11-2018, 05:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,499,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So as usual I'm the outliner in the group. I like mother's day, yes it's a made up holiday but if you get right down to it, all of them are. I don't see why celebrating the birth of a nation is anymore important to my birthing my kids.

My youngest son graduated this week from Temple, and while I am extremely proud of him, I have no problems with the kid forking over 30 bucks to take me to breakfast. 4 years of college, no college loans, yeah I would not mind a "thank you" on a special day.

I'm a church goer so we'll definitely do church. Now do I need a specific day? well do we need a specific day to celebrate Memorial day, Labor day? and if you want to talk about a holiday that has been commercialized and "hallmark", you need look no further than Christmas, the holiday that now begins in August. talk about a phoney holiday. lol

And here's the thing most families DONT appreciate each other in your day to day lives. We rush around from pillar to post without even realizing life. Then we take a 1 or 2 week vacation and call it "family" time
Well, with 23 people voting they will be celebrating in some manner I guess so far, I guess you aren’t the outlier after all. Have a happy Mother’s Day.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,001,408 times
Not retired yet, and no kids of my own. I will be hosting my parents, sister and 1 brother. My mom told me she wanted to take a walk, so we'll do that if it's nice (forecast is iffy now), play cards if it's not. She wanted pulled pork, pickles and potato salad. I should make a pie, but will probably make something else.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,033,234 times
Wife and middle daughter are spending the weekend down in NYC (using up a lot of Marriott points) and meeting up with my other daughter who has made plans for brunch and a couple of other events.

Our son is staying home to help me out post knee replacement surgery.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:44 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,167,718 times
The kids are coming to visit, new daughter in law making a special dessert. Looking forward to seeing them. Someone posted in another thread that mother's day is a good day to be happy about being a mother and the pleasures it brought. I like that idea, so I'm going to reminisce about when they were little. Ah, the good old days. ;-)

Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 PM

7,208 posts, read 9,365,452 times
Vegas baby!

Have tickets to O and to Beatles Love.

Live it up a little!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement