Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:25 PM

45 posts, read 218,390 times

Advertisements

After retirement with company dental insurance, I have an in-house program with my same dentist of 8 years. Includes annual - 2 cleanings, 4 bite wing x-rays, and dentist examination of teeth, and 15% off any additional work for $229.

I had full mouth x-rays done right before I left work covered under insurance, so good for 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 11:56 PM

16 posts, read 9,413 times
Really appreciate this thread. thank you OP

Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
There was another thread last fall about this subject. There were some people on it who recommended getting two plans that allegedly would both pay out.

Delta Dental: https://www.deltadentalins.com/shopp...suerCode=DELTA
844-847-9516

Spirit Dental: https://www.spiritdental.com/
844-833-8440

My son was supposed to call them LAST OCTOBER to see if what I had read on that thread was true. He still hasn't done it, and now says *I* should do it. Whereas before he said he would do it because of my crappy memory and inability to make a decision, among other variable cognitive deficits.

I keep forgetting.

Sometimes my whole face hurts.

I won't be surprised if dental infection spreads and kills me.

I was hoping this was that other thread brought back to life. Unlike that thread, there has been little or no useful information of value for someone seeking dental help.

Dental issues ARE health issues.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...pitalizations/

I've gone the dental school / low income clinic route in the past. The botched jobs those places did are the main reason I now have continuing serious dental issues.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Yup, they did. Both of them had ongoing dental problems that were only going to get worse. They could keep throwing money at it or eliminate the problem. They did it together on the same day. Neither of them regretted it.
I can't even imagine someone doing that. I'm 71 and have all but 2 of my teeth (I have bridges for the missing teeth). It costs me a lot of money but it's worth it, dentures don't even come close to being a satisfactory replacement for your teeth

Old 06-23-2018, 11:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
There was another thread last fall about this subject. There were some people on it who recommended getting two plans that allegedly would both pay out.

Delta Dental: https://www.deltadentalins.com/shopp...suerCode=DELTA
844-847-9516
Spirit Dental: https://www.spiritdental.com/
844-833-8440

My son was supposed to call them LAST OCTOBER to see if what I had read on that thread was true. He still hasn't done it, and now says *I* should do it. Whereas before he said he would do it because of my crappy memory and inability to make a decision, among other variable cognitive deficits.
I keep forgetting.
Sometimes my whole face hurts.
I won't be surprised if dental infection spreads and kills me.
I was hoping this was that other thread brought back to life. Unlike that thread, there has been little or no useful information of value for someone seeking dental help.
Dental issues ARE health issues.
https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...pitalizations/
I've gone the dental school / low income clinic route in the past. The botched jobs those places did are the main reason I now have continuing serious dental issues.
I posted about Spirit and Denali, I don't think Delta is as good. Both Spirit and Denali cover major work from day 1. Initially Spirit pays 25% and Denali pays 30% so your copay is 45%, but at the end of the first calendar year Spirit goes to 50%. Denali goes to 50% 12 months after you buy your policy.

I got the most expensive plan with each, it comes with $3500 annual coverage. Your dentist bills both plans and they both pay just so their coverage doesn't exceed 100% of the cost of the work. Since I bought the policies in July of 2017 I've had two bridges and 7 crowns replaced and a root canal. I just cancelled Spirit because I had maxed out the benefits and I've had all the major work I will need done in the foreseeable future but I will be keeping Denali. Both of the plans have a $100 annual deductible and cover 3 cleanings a year. It's well worth it if you have a lot of work that needs to be done and they both cover implants too.

Spirit Dental https://www.spiritdental.com/?gclid=...8aApytEALw_wcB

Denali Dental https://denalidental.com/

Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM

187 posts, read 128,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Low cost dental plans are worthless in my experience and expensive ones are poor value because if you just pay for the work you need that is probably cheaper.
Very true. Its cheaper without insurance

Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Low cost dental plans are worthless in my experience and expensive ones are poor value because if you just pay for the work you need that is probably cheaper.
This ^^^^^

I have been paying as I go. If you have no insurance, many dentists will give you a discount. Might not be much of a discount, but every little bit helps.

Most dental plans I looked into after retiring were not worth it. They paid for things like cleanings and fillings, which would cost less to pay on your own than the amount of premiums for the insurance. What I need these days is replacement crowns and eventually implants. The dental plans for retirees don't cover the expensive stuff.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I find these responses interesting. I pay for one at work and it has paid for itself, the premiums are so cheap 2 cleaning a year is more than enough to cover the premium. I got the better plan this year as my wife needs a lot of work and it's paying for itself. But I have no idea what a plan on your own at age 65 would cost, obviously more that it's worth according to this thread.

Mexico? Hmm, I kinda believe that's a crap shoot.
Yes, the private plans available after you retire are nothing like what you had from an employer plan.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have dental insurance (not 'plan') and over the last 4 years it has saved me approximately $3,000; however, let me emphasize that I require crowns and root canals, unfortunately. The premium is such that it is less than what I'd pay yearly for just cleanings and xrays.

So, for me, it would be foolish to not have insurance.

Just blessed with lousy teeth.
Katie,
I'll bet you are still working and the insurance is through an employer. Private plans or insurance available to retirees do not compare.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not true. Mine has covered root canals, implants, other things. Not 100%, of course--I always had to pay something beyond what the insurance allows, and I think my dentist is pricier than most but I've been with him for 20 years, but it's not limited to cleaning, x-rays, and fillings.
Are you talking about an employer plan or a private plan after you retire. There is a big difference in what is covered when you get old and no longer work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement