Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 05:44 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Maybe, if they ever go to a universal, one payer medical coverage, and everybody is on the same plan the younger people will push to have it included. Especially those with children.
Probably not, it's not covered in Canada (dental).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 06:14 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
I’m lucky my wife is the office manager for a dental practice so I’m covered for anything for $0.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:57 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Dh works part time at a place with inexpensive dental and eye insurance. 2 cleanings a year and about 1/2 off anything major. Our teeth are well taken care of, but past a certain age you never know when a tooth will break or go south. The piece of mind is worth it, even though some years we don’t have anything expensive done.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:26 AM

705 posts, read 562,455 times
My poor mother always had bad teeth. She flossed, she brushed her teeth each morning, before bed and each time she ate anything. She just had bad teeth and ongoing pain. For many years she continued to spend a small fortune to keep her own teeth but one day she said she'd had enough and told the Dentist she was not the 1st National bank. She got them all pulled. She never regretted it. She always thought that it was due to well water back in her day and lack of fluoride.

My husband is almost 70 and having a lot of problems now too, he's leaning towards getting his pulled. We'll be paying out of pocket, most likely in Mexico.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Cash for dental and optical. Dental and optical insurance is expensive and limiting. The optical coverage at work did not pay for progressive lenses, anti-reflective coatings, etc. I have found flexible spending accounts to be a ripoff, also.

yep those flexible spending accounts are indeed a rip off .

Old 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
I know a woman who was my college roommate and she now lives in france because of the health care and she is now also a French citizen and she flys to and fro when she has to see her family . She is fluent in French and hardly speaks English anymore and sometimes she forgets when she is on the phone to me I don't speak French but her health and dental are taken care of because she is a French citizen. I think our government should invoke a universal one payer plan and everyone should be able to have it . She had to have implants because of a car accident she had a few years ago and what did she pay nadda ….all taken care of .

Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 AM

840 posts, read 1,121,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Mexico!
Did you not read post #12?

Old 06-20-2018, 12:27 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
I visit a dental school. Sure it takes longer but after all we are retired! Or semi retired for me.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:36 PM

1,353 posts, read 790,102 times
We have AARP plan. It works very well, e.g. three hygienist appointments annually.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:19 PM

837 posts, read 1,711,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
My poor mother always had bad teeth. She flossed, she brushed her teeth each morning, before bed and each time she ate anything. She just had bad teeth and ongoing pain. For many years she continued to spend a small fortune to keep her own teeth but one day she said she'd had enough and told the Dentist she was not the 1st National bank. She got them all pulled. She never regretted it. She always thought that it was due to well water back in her day and lack of fluoride.

My husband is almost 70 and having a lot of problems now too, he's leaning towards getting his pulled. We'll be paying out of pocket, most likely in Mexico.
My father had lost all of his natural teeth by the time he was thirty. I was too young to know what the problem was, but I assume it was peridontal disease. He grew up in the country--Kansas--also with unflouridated water.

Since my mouth looks very similar to his in pictures of him in his twenties, I have (in adulthood) taken good care of my teeth. Other than the occasional chipped tooth when I was in my fifties, possibly due to the use of a tooth whitener, I haven't had any major problems. Still, I keep Delta Dental ($42/month) just in case. I would love to drop it, but would worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement