Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:37 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Even if one had a dental plan, it won't cover much at all beyond regular cleanings, some x-rays, fillings, and that's it. Most people need a lot of work on average especially when you get older. I heard of dental tourism, and it sounds like a good idea for the prices, but I personally don't know anyone that has done something like that. I have seen the price breakdowns between US and other countries, it is shocking just comparing a simple filling here and there, something to consider in the future. If it was safe in other countries for dental work and it was cheap, I don't see any reason why not.
Not true. Mine has covered root canals, implants, other things. Not 100%, of course--I always had to pay something beyond what the insurance allows, and I think my dentist is pricier than most but I've been with him for 20 years, but it's not limited to cleaning, x-rays, and fillings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 07:45 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,827 times
My dental runs out the end of this month. My wife's plan will kick in after current one expires

Old 06-19-2018, 08:53 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,254 times
I have had Metropolitan High Coverage dental insurance for the last 16 years that I get through work but my employer does not contribute towards the premium and I pay $54/month/$648/year. The 2nd year I had this insurance I required periodontal surgery which cost $10,000 and my insurance paid 1/2. As someone who has always been prone to dental issues it is important for me to have coverage where someone who was blessed with great teeth having coverage would not be such a high priority for them.

Having or not having dental insurance is not a one size fits all decision.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times
I've been paying $20/month for years now and never used it. Even the "free professional cleanings" I don't think are worth much. Does anyone go to dental schools (universities) for cheaper care? I'd be afraid to, frankly. However, I suspect that the prices -- even with established dentists -- is somewhat lower for those who don't have insurance than for those who do. Considering dropping it.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:49 PM

361 posts, read 258,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWritten. View Post
Do you have a Dental Plan? If not, what do you do?
I use Dental discount plans. The concept is absurd to me, but so is American health and dental care. The concept is, you pay them to get a discounted fee schedule. The dentist gets nothing from that fee (so don't go for a plan that has free checkups as you will get hooked in other ways). I think it works out if you research who's in the discount plan network. I think you brake even on yearly cleanings and checkups, but really save if you have any work done.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
I can COBRA my dental plan here at work for $16 a month. That's pretty sweet.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I can COBRA my dental plan here at work for $16 a month. That's pretty sweet.
Yeah - short and sweet.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,449,628 times
Until I get settled in another state.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,196,266 times
I have a retiree Delta dental plan from my former employer. I had debated dropping it because I was paying more for premiums than I got in services. Then today I had to have a root canal and that made up for over 2 years of premiums. I'm keeping my insurance.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:42 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I used to have Met Life. Over a 2 year period my wife and I paid into the fund almost $2000. They gave us back about $700. And so they stole $1300 from us that we could have used for dental care.

Additionally, they had requirements that the dentist had to do which raised the cost of the service so that even with the dental insurance it actually cost more than my other dentist. Like they requires an evaluation of the tooth before worth started. My Met Life dentist essential charged me $75 to take his mirror and look at the tooth.

Dental Insurance companies are a major rip off.

We just dip into savings.

The last time I had a cleaning the dental assistant remarked how I must be using an electric toothbrush because my teeth were so clean, so she spent the whole time measuring how my gums had receded. Like this is worth my time. Of course my gums have receded, I’m almost 70 years old.
That is how insurance works. If everyone paid $1000 and got back $1000 or more, the company would go broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement