Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times

Advertisements

I don't have any desire to retire outside of the US or even the state of Texas. If I had no living family - it might be an option but not with 4 kids, 6 (so far) grands, brother, sisters and still living mother - nieces/nephews - you get it I am sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Of course, if you can afford to retire in the U.S.---don't leave. That's pretty obvious.

If I could live beachfront in the U.S. I wouldn't be down here. But, it's not too bad!

Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 AM

7,452 posts, read 4,684,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
LOL. For those who like lists, here is their expanded list to 20 Places Where You Can Feel Rich In Retirement For $200K.
I forgot an important period after LOL above. Since LOL is not really a sentence I didn't bother but re-reading my post, must fixit.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
I enjoy looking at these lists. Malta... who knew? I'll look into that one....

I just wish they included a few standard thing for each country - always the weather/healthcare costs - and how to legally set up residence there.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:54 AM

24,623 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's the culture shock of being a minority, maybe for the first time, who (likely) doesn't speak the language, understand a glacial or corrupt bureaucracy, discover a dislike of local customs (poor treatment of animals, smoking in restaurants, treatment of women or some minorities) or have any family near for holidays or emergencies that is given short shrift in favor of food, fun & finance.
-Culture shock is not a big thing unless you plan to live amongst the Amazonian tribes

-You’re hardly a minority as many of those countries are top tourist destinations and have plenty of western ex-pat communities

-Not speaking the local language isn’t an issue when English is everywhere

-Corrupt bureaucracy is everywhere

- Local customs? And you think America treats its minorities and women any better? (See the cop shootings and #metoo movement)

- Family near the holidays or in an emergency can’t retire for you

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Which is funny, considering how much everyone usually complains about how expensive it is to retire in America and the insane cost of healthcare.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Of course, if you can afford to retire in the U.S.---don't leave. That's pretty obvious.

If I could live beachfront in the U.S. I wouldn't be down here. But, it's not too bad!
My mother owned 3 waterfront homes over the years. Hurricane Gloria ripped out the sea wall and first 100 feet of the first house. Hurricane Bob flooded the main floor of the second house and deposited a 30 foot sailboat in the swimming pool. I’m 50 feet MSL. I can walk to the beach. No FEMA flood insurance or evacuation. Of course, most people here wouldn’t want to deal with the coastal Massachusetts winter. I ski so I welcome winter. It makes summer more meaningful.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:27 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Thanks, but I will stay here in Florida. Medicare stops when you cross the border.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Some of those are suspect. No way in hell that Austria could be affordable to retire in. Besides, it's part of the EU, and it is impossible to move to the EU if you don't have a great job lined up. They're not exactly looking for fat foreigners to come and live out their retirement there.

South Africa, Mexico and most of Latin America are unsafe from a crime perspective.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Thanks, but I will stay here in Florida. Medicare stops when you cross the border.
Then you get complete health-care for $80/couple a month, when you cross this border. LOL. No deductibles or co-pays. I got to ride in an ambulance for 2 hours, all covered.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Some of those are suspect. No way in hell that Austria could be affordable to retire in. Besides, it's part of the EU, and it is impossible to move to the EU if you don't have a great job lined up. They're not exactly looking for fat foreigners to come and live out their retirement there.

South Africa, Mexico and most of Latin America are unsafe from a crime perspective.
Welp, no one has guns here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement